Graphic troubles

Ok. I built a computer with the following specs: http://pastebin.com/m6840a050

It has a XFX Radeon HD 4670, two sticks of PC3 8500 2GB DDR3 RAM, Asus M4A785T-M/CSM motherboard, AMD Athlon II Multi-core processor, and Windows 7 32-bit. Also extra stuff like an optical drive, two HDDs (one 500GB, the other is 250 or around there)

Here's my problem; when I first built it, everything worked perfectly, but one of my RAM sticks were shipped bad so I only used one for a time. At that time, everything worked flawlessly, games such as WoW didn't flicker or freeze, nothing happened out of the ordinary, all with just one stick of RAM.

Then I returned the RAM sticks (both the good and the bad one because they cam in a pack) and got two working ones. I put them in, it configured them, and when I tried to play games again, it flickers and freezes and resets over and over again, and it even flickers and freezes occasionally on the desktop. I tried reseating the graphics card, running with only one stick of RAM, messing with overclock, nothing works to get it back to how it was before.

What do I do to stop the flickering and freezing?
10 answers Last reply
More about graphic troubles
  1. My first suggestion would be to reset the system to default spec, no OC no nothing. Run everything stock and try out the games that didn't work properly earlier.

Once you've established everything is working as intended start OC process again, could be memory not being able to cope with the OC or it could be something else that isn't quite working as intended, Temps?
  2. I haven't overclocked, when I said I messed with overclock, I actually turned everything down and the fan at 100% to see if that would help at all. Everything is at default now, though.
  3. Tried running a memcheck on the system?

it's the most logical place to start as it's the only change you've made to the system. the Ubuntu boot cd is a source for a good memory test for example.
  4. I don't know what a memory check is or where to find one, I'm sorry, I'm pretty new to building computers... could you link me to one, or tell me how to get to one?
  5. Download and burn the iso of ubuntu 9.10 (you get it from http://www.ubuntu.com/)

Boot on the disc you've just burnt and choose memory test from the menu you're presented with. Let it run for atleast one whole cycle(should take about 10-15minutes) if there are no errors. I'd probably start thinking about checking for a BIOS update for the board etc
  6. Alright, I did the Memcheck, and there was no problems found. What do I have to do in the BIOS..? How do I find an update
  7. head over to the manufacturer of your motherboard, most likely Gigabyte, Asus or alike.

Look for a flash software for your motherboard(preferably on that isn't run through windows since you do suffer from occational freezes in windows)

Before you do this I'm gonna assume you've already tried reinstalling your system, just to make sure it's not something software related?
  8. If it ran fine, before, then what (all) might have changed ???
    1) Reseat the DIMM modules ...
    2) Try one module (only), in each slot, then, the other ... Then, the other module, first in one slot, then the others.
    3) How many mem sockets do you have? Channels? Dual ch mem uses slots 0 (zero) and 2 (two) in order to acheive dual ch mode. .. or slots 1 and 3 (staggered) ... are you dual ch and do you have "staggered population"?
    ... check your motherboard manual for valid mem configurations. ID the slots!
    If you do all this, you will either identify a bad module (fairly likely) .. a bad socket (very unlikely) ... or, a bad configuration or mismatched modules (way likely) ... That, or you did not seat both modules fully and properly... happens a lot. ... a lot!

Seriously, the fact that it did work, but now does not work well CLEARLY points to a configuration or insertion error ... that is great great news! At best, you just need to properly config and insert the modules ... at worst, you keep RMA the modules till you get two good ones (sometimes takes two tries, if a bad batch).

Your problem is very small and all you need to do is to be very methodical and logical and not skip steps or take short-cuts ... assumptions will kill you, here.
    ... Guaranteed ... Read the manual, piut the correct modules, all the way (hard snap) into the slots ... facing the right way ... Of course, identify (manual) if you are daul ch or triple channel and use the specified slot population (i.e. staggered) and make sure you have correctly ID the slot #s.
    You should definately do a cold boot, into the BIOS/SETUP menu and "SEE/confirm" the memory is fully counted and registered ... THEN (important!) Save and exit the new bios settings and watch your POST script msgs to see if dual/3 channel DDR mode is acheived (don't blink).

Remember that you MUST cold boot into SETUP, visually visit the memory page and confirm amount of RAM, then "SAVE & Exit " usually from the last page or last "top" menu choice ... on the second boot/POST, you should "see" the memory and the channel mode (as it is reported, during a normal startup/restart)

Thats all it is ... possibly a bad module, but prolly just a bad install/config. Truth.

= Alvin =
  9. Remember! Once you are sure config and insertion are correct, you MUST enter SETUP, SAVE & Exit, before the new config will be registered and "remembered", by the system ... then .. restart and watch you POST reports (ala Evelyn Wood).

I don't even play a doctor, on TV, but I am willing to try, in my private "FIRMARY".

= choke =
  10. Sorry for the tertiary addendum BUT ... I should also state ...

While you are doing all that swapping and rotating and troubleshooting ...
    EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE ANYTHING (regarding mem config) ... EACH AND EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE ANYTHING, DURING THE TS/SWAP/DISCOVERY PHASE, Go directly into setup and "SAVE & EXIT" the new config ... and watch your POST reports, upon restart ... just wanted to drive that very important point home.

=yawn=
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build RAM Systems