Gigabyte z77x ud5h

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Hi I have a Intel core i7 3770 It's not a k so it can't really be overclocked through the bios, But I was wondering how I could overclock it using the front side bus I have a gigabyte z77x ud5h Motherboard I have windows 7 64 bit I have Corsair 16 gigs of memory. I was wondering if you could send me detailed instructions on how to do it for my specific Motherboard. I know that there is a program called set fsb or something Like that, but I need to know what My clock generator is or something Like that. So I was wondering how I could find that? Oh My Processor is a 3.40 ghz

Thanks So Much

Kinnyr90

Solution
I don't think you understand (a lot of things). You don't want to do what you're saying, though.

For what it's worth, you don't need to worry about the clock gen. You would just raise the BCLK through the BIOS (from the stock 100Mhz to whatever), but the highest you can safely go with that is 105-107Mhz, so it's not really worth it.

You see, the BCLK is tied to literally every single Bus in the system, so when you OC it, you OC everything (CPU, PCIe, SATA, USB, and RAM). Not good.

There is a silver lining though. You're not totally screwed because you can still raise each of the Turbo multipliers by 4 each, resulting in a nice, small OC.

Bottom line, don't mess with the BCLK (or the FSB, if you wish to call it...
You go into BIOS (during startup, press the indicated key, eg. DEL) and change the BCLK slightly. The thing is, it's not just the CPU running off that BCLK, all kinds of other stuff does too... stuff that's not suited for overclocking. You shouldn't expect more than a few percent increase, which isn't really worth it anyway.

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012

So,

Does the Multiplier Increase the speed of my memory, or the processor? Cause It's a memory Multiplier right? I just raise the memory Multiplier a little bit at a time right? I have a 700w Ocz cool master Power supply. And I also have a 180W cooler. So I guess my question isa will I be safe with all of this? In terms of my system not crashing or blue screens or anything like that? Also do I have to play around with Voltages at all?

Thanks

Kinnyr90

Kinnyr90

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012

Can you help me find the clock generator for my motherboard? My Motherboard again, is, z77x ud5h gigabyte with a 1155 socket. I do not want to open up the case and have to look there. Or if it goes by the processor it's an core i7 3770

Thanks

Kinnyr90

I don't think you understand (a lot of things). You don't want to do what you're saying, though.

For what it's worth, you don't need to worry about the clock gen. You would just raise the BCLK through the BIOS (from the stock 100Mhz to whatever), but the highest you can safely go with that is 105-107Mhz, so it's not really worth it.

You see, the BCLK is tied to literally every single Bus in the system, so when you OC it, you OC everything (CPU, PCIe, SATA, USB, and RAM). Not good.

There is a silver lining though. You're not totally screwed because you can still raise each of the Turbo multipliers by 4 each, resulting in a nice, small OC.

Bottom line, don't mess with the BCLK (or the FSB, if you wish to call it that, but that's not what it's actually called on Intel systems anymore. BCLK = Base Clock). Just use the Turbo multipliers to OC.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.