Seeking help on my first computer build

-joe-

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Ok my current set-up is a older Dell Dimension 8400.
Intel Pentium 4 3.20gHz CPU
1 GB of RAM
?gb Western Digital 7200rpm HDD
Thats all i know about it :ange:

It is becoming very slow; opening new tabs and new windows takes 10+ seconds at times. All I ever do with my computer is a ton of Internet multi-tasking, Farmville a lot, itunes, and microsoft office. I was thinking of just buying another dell but they don't offer very much and i hate the bloatware that comes with them. Can anyone help me get started; I am thinking AVADirect because I want to stay under $800 with this build?

Thanks

Exactly what I was thinking. On any machine that old (I'm guessing 5+ years), eventually enough "Windows rot" piles up in the form of junk files, registry errors and so on, that your system will slow down significantly. If you haven't defragged your hard drive in a long time, you may try that first and see if it saves you the trouble of reinstalling.

Also, check how full your hard drive is in the first place. If it's pushing 75-80% (read: did you fill it up completely with music files?), that's about the point where they start to struggle and you see a significant increase in search and load times.

But again, if all you're using this machine for is iTunes and the internet, you don't need a very powerful machine, and getting this one back running like it should ought to be fine.

-joe-

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Ok thanks for all the tips and advice. The computer is probably 10 years old and used to run great.

Ok so everyone thinks i should just reinstall the operating system? I just went and ordered a Dell laptop today will it come with a windows 7 CD?

yup that will do it

I would not run win7 on the old PC tho

+ the OS that comes with the laptop is a OEM more likely and is only for that machine

-joe-

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
thanks, thats what i was affaid of :)

So how do I go about removing everything and starting fresh?
Will it completly wipe out everything?

How can i keep microsoft office thats already on it?

Well the recovery disk Should have the OS and drivers etc to get it up and running, I would go online and dload all the new drivers and load them after Windows loads and update windows, As far as office goes you will need to reinstall it off the disk

I just seen that you said you found a Alienware Recovery CD but your system is a dell ?

You will need to find the dell one or buy a OEM OS to reinstall