Sign in with
Your question

PSU set to wrong voltage?

Last response: in Components
April 22, 2010 1:07:07 AM

My neighbor had me take a look at there computer, saying it wouldn't turn on. When I investigated, the switch to change between 230 and 120 volts was set to 230 volts (European voltage, I believe), even though they receive 120 volts. I'm wondering if this would break the PSU or the motherboard, as those are the two components I expect to have broken. When the power button is pressed, a light on the PSU starts blinking, but nothing else happens to the computer (no fans, no HD spin, no video, no audio). I plugged the hard drive into my computer and it appears to be working fine. What do you guys think?

More about : psu set wrong voltage

April 22, 2010 1:23:37 AM

Seems like its a Dell System but i could be wrong as far as to trouble shoot this the PSU is gone thats the first thing so have to change that even if its working i would not take the risk of putting a new M/B with that PSU if that don't solve the problem just change the system don't bother with M/B replacement since it will come down to luck as wrong voltage will not only fry the M/B but can also fry processor and memory if they keep on turning it on and off unless you have a spare M/B around the house you can test the processor and memory if both work fine then you can switch the M/B.

Hope this helps.
and let me know if you need more help regarding this and if it solves the problem close out the post as solved

Thanks.
m
l
April 22, 2010 1:28:53 AM

It may just be time for a new PSU. I doubt it did anything to his hardware. I doubt the switch being in the wrong position did anything either, usually they just won't work unless you have the switch in the right mode, that is all. More than likely, it just decided to die, (it's apparently and old unit if it still has a switch for the voltage on the back) and he has been fiddling with it, and left it in that position by accident before he called you to look at it.
m
l
Related resources
April 22, 2010 1:43:23 AM

It's actually an HP, and I plan on getting a power supply tester tomorrow. if that checks out fine, then I'll just tell them to get a new computer. And I had figured that either they were messing with it and left it there, or the label was mis-marked (ie 230 and 120 were backwards).
m
l
April 22, 2010 1:44:11 AM

the new PSU have 110/230 switch also as its just easy rather then placing a sensor to detect what kind of voltage is coming in as far what could setting wrong voltage can do in last 15 years i have even seen fried LAN card and modems also due to this all depends on the PSU if it let 220 pass right through it directly to the MB the system is gone and none of the parts could ever be used but hope for the best as PSU are not more then $10-30 and in most cases they will let you return it if it don't work out :) 
m
l
April 22, 2010 1:45:39 AM

Also like I said, the hard drive seems to work just fine, so hopefully everything else does too, although the Mobo is probably more sensitive to changes in voltage...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 22, 2010 1:57:24 AM

hey jjkucia,
i have that SOB piture you have as ur avatar on my cpmuter too...i found it on an app on my iphone.
LOL just wanted to say that.

the helpful part: i tried to run a 300w LOGIC cheap dying psu on 120v with the switch set to 230volts, and the old 10gb hard drvie i had attached to it spun up normally (and yes i did this on pupose)
so im thinking maybe the psu isnt dmaged...
m
l
April 22, 2010 7:19:57 PM

Well, I guess I'll find out today when I test it. The easiest thing for me would be if it did work, that way I could be fairly certain that it's the mobo that's broken. I guess we shall see either today or tomorrow.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 22, 2010 8:52:15 PM

alighouston said:
the new PSU have 110/230 switch also as its just easy rather then placing a sensor to detect what kind of voltage is coming in as far what could setting wrong voltage can do in last 15 years i have even seen fried LAN card and modems also due to this all depends on the PSU if it let 220 pass right through it directly to the MB the system is gone and none of the parts could ever be used but hope for the best as PSU are not more then $10-30 and in most cases they will let you return it if it don't work out :) 

You are so wrong its bad the switch being to 220 will do absolutely nothing to the hardware the reason for the switch is if you are plugged into a 220 outlet then you switch it over so that it will only use 110 volts.

A 220 outlet is just two 110 volt leads instead of just one like a normal outlet has and what the switch does is make it so the PSU only uses 1 lead for its input.

So the switch being in the wrong position on a 110 volt outlet does nothing now as for if your on a 220 outlet and switch it to 110 then you might have a problem.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 22, 2010 10:56:00 PM

saaiello said:
You are so wrong its bad the switch being to 220 will do absolutely nothing to the hardware the reason for the switch is if you are plugged into a 220 outlet then you switch it over so that it will only use 110 volts.

A 220 outlet is just two 110 volt leads instead of just one like a normal outlet has and what the switch does is make it so the PSU only uses 1 lead for its input.

So the switch being in the wrong position on a 110 volt outlet does nothing now as for if your on a 220 outlet and switch it to 110 then you might have a problem.

I compltetly agree with you.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
April 22, 2010 11:05:30 PM

alighouston said:
as PSU are not more then $10-30

$10 - $30 power supplies :pfff: 
m
l
April 22, 2010 11:34:08 PM

saaiello said:

Then why don't PSUs just automatically set to 220, with no 110 choice, if everything works fine at that setting?
m
l
April 23, 2010 12:48:45 AM

Okay, I just ran the PSU tester and the PSU works fine. I told my neighbor that it's probably the motherboard, so now they're getting a new computer. At least their hard drive is fine.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
April 23, 2010 4:07:54 PM

saaiello said:

A 220 outlet is just two 110 volt leads in the U. S. In the rest or the world where 220 volts is used, that is not true.

Plugging a PSU set to 220 volts into 110 volts will not do any damage. The system just won't work. The opposite is not true. Plugging a PSU set to 110 volts into 220 will fry the PSU and only the PSU if you are lucky. That's why all but one of my systems have APFC. Had to bring them in from the States. Nobody sells Antec or Corsair here.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 23, 2010 4:16:19 PM

jsc said:
A 220 outlet is just two 110 volt leads in the U. S. In the rest or the world where 220 volts is used, that is not true.

Yea I forgot European 220 is single phase where as in the US its two phase.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 23, 2010 8:10:47 PM

good to see the "correction" on voltage. US uses two 120V, 180 degress out of phase to obtain 240. Overseas uses 240 single phase.

a Storm took out power to our house, Snapped the two AC power lines. Good old Vepco (Va power) repaired. All my lights and tvs worked great - BUT NO Hot water or stove. - They Idiots wired both AC lines to the same phase )two inphase 110 = 0 VAC).

jsc - I think the worse condition is to have the switch in the 110 position and apply 220. I believe the input goes to an input xformer. The primary wind is center tapped. The 220 should go to the full primary while the 110 goes to the center tap.
In the 220 position and 110 appiled, the output on the 2ndary would be 1/2 the voltage it should be. This could cause a over current condition if the PSU tries to compensate.

In the reverse condition, sw in 120 position and 220 applied, then the 2ndary voltage would be doubled. This high voltage could exceed voltage rating on some components - and Poof.

In good old Siagon some of the downtown establishments used the same Wall outlet for 120 and 220. Plugged my 110 Radio/casset recorder in (1971), Needles to say after a few minutes it "Turned" off and would only run on batteries after that.
m
l
April 24, 2010 5:19:46 PM

If this is the case, did the mobo just give out? I just found out that they left their computer on for the past 5 years only rarely turning it off, so maybe that's the case.
m
l
June 6, 2014 8:51:32 AM

I think I might get same problem about the voltage of my psu, wrong voltage setting, mine is an corsair hx1050, do any of you guys would know exactly where would be the voltage switch because as far as I can see behind my own gaming built...I didn't found it...I just wanna check if it is the cause of my electric trouble... thanks for the question by the way, it's an useful one to know because the switch isn't at the same place depending on the built...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 6, 2014 8:57:06 AM

hx1050 switches automatically. Please make a new thread to provide details to your situation for better troubleshooting.
m
l
!