Sign in with
Your question

Biostar TP45HP sata issues

Last response: in Motherboards
September 24, 2010 3:24:00 AM

I am running a Biostar TP45HP motherboard and I am having some weird issues with the sata ports that I can't seem to figure out. They periodically stop working and the machine freezes due to the lack of connection to the harddrive and either stays frozen or reboots. Upon reboot it will not detect the hard drive, so I open the case up and connect the drive to a different port and it boots up fine. The weird thing is this keeps happening with every port and if I plug the drive back into a port that has already 'failed' it will boot up just fine again. I've had it happen when browsing the internet as well as under full load while playing a game such as Bad Company 2. Seems like the ports are sporadically deciding to not function. I don't believe it's a HD issue as I have not lost any data and the drive checks out on my other system. I've tried flashing my BIOS to the latest version to no avail. Just looking for any more suggestions on things to try or if someone actually knows the cause of this.

System Overview:
Biotstar TP45HP mobo
Intel Q6600 core2quad
4gb ram
Rosewill 600w PSU
Seagate 500gb hardrive
gigabyte radeon 5830HD video card
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2010 9:14:47 PM

Hello mate. Have you tried replacing the SATA cable by any chance? And is the Seagate Sata I or II?
October 13, 2010 9:20:24 PM

I have replaced the SATA cable a few times now. I also just cleaned my case and moved my drive further away from my GPU. It might have been a heating issue with it's proximity. Time will tell. All I know is that it is a seagate barracuda 500gb. Is there a way to check if it is SATA I or II on the drive somewhere?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 13, 2010 9:37:20 PM

Well if anything - you could get it off the HD's model (the label on top of the HD). I'm asking because i read up that those boards had issues with SATA II HD's. I might be wrong, but you never know =P
December 5, 2010 6:21:42 AM

Hi endgameoo,
I have exactly the same problem with a TP45HP, but with a Samsung HDD.
Changed the PSU connection to another port and a new SATA power cable, also changed SATA cable and SATA port but problem persists.
Have you had any luck in solving the problem?

The HDD with the problem used to be the boot drive untill I relplaced it with an SSD.
Next step is to completely reformat the drive - I just deleted the old boot partition when I replaced it.

Win7 64bit
Biostar TP45 HP
CPU Core 2 Duo E7300 at 3300 MHz
Memory G Skill F2-6400CL4-2GBHK 4 GB DDR2-800
ATI Radeon HD 4850
PSU Antec TP-650
Boot Drive OCZ-VERTEX2 ATA 55 GB
Problem Drive SAMSUNG HD103SJ 1000 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II

December 5, 2010 4:10:18 PM

My issues ended up being a heat issue between the HDD and the SATA controller (I also replaced the SATA cables for good measure). Since I run a 5830HD (runs soooo hot) I ended up moving my HDDs as far away in the case as I could from other heat sources and made sure I had airflow going over them. They run much cooler and I haven't had the issue of the drives going out on me since.
December 16, 2010 7:42:25 AM

Hi Endgameoo,
Many thanks for that. Have a fairly cool system, rarely above 35 deg so finally decided that I have one dodgy SATA port. Any HDD connected had the same problem so have avoided using it and problem seems to have gone away.
!