Sign in with
Your question

How to cool down overheating motherboard

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Thermal Compound
Last response: in Motherboards
September 24, 2010 3:40:26 AM

I have some basic thermal paste no special brand or anything. I also have an overheating asus p5n-d 750i motherboard that has drastically lowered in performance. Its so hot i cant keep my finger on the heatsink to long other wise it will burn.

So can i take out the heat sink and apply thermal paste there to bring down the temp of the motherboard? there are two of them both very hot. Is it a good idea to take both of them out and apply thermal paste, to lower the temp and hopefully restore the normal performance.

More about : cool overheating motherboard

a b V Motherboard
September 24, 2010 3:54:26 AM

I assume you're talking about the northbridge heatsink? If so, you could apply thermal paste, and attach a small 40mm fan with zip ties to help remedy the problem. I'm curious as to why your northbridge is so hot to begin with (if it is indeed your NB). Do you have your CPU overclocked?
a c 717 V Motherboard
September 24, 2010 3:57:00 AM

This sound more like a bad OC than anything else, also the Northbridge is always very hot. If you system is unstable then rework your multipliers and adjust voltages.

No, do not pull-off your MOBO heat-sinks, and add thermal paste.

I use Koolance - http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/default.php?cPath...

Good Luck!
Related resources
September 24, 2010 3:58:00 AM

Yes its the NB. and no i am very confused as to why it is so hot. its a brand new motherboard and no other hardware parts are overheating.

i already have a 40mm cpu fan attached to it with zip ties. i was think of buying another and adding it on the the one already attached to increase air flow.
September 24, 2010 4:00:42 AM

jaquith said:
This sound more like a bad OC than anything else, also the Northbridge is always very hot. If you system is unstable then rework your multipliers and adjust voltages.

No, do not pull-off your MOBO heat-sinks, and add thermal paste.

I use Koolance - http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/default.php?cPath...

Good Luck!

wow so it is a bad idea to take of the mb heatsinks and apply thermal paste ?

The motherboard is not overclocked and its brand new.

Please explain how to rework the multipliers and adjust voltages ?
September 24, 2010 4:02:23 AM

Pyroflea said:
I assume you're talking about the northbridge heatsink? If so, you could apply thermal paste, and attach a small 40mm fan with zip ties to help remedy the problem. I'm curious as to why your northbridge is so hot to begin with (if it is indeed your NB). Do you have your CPU overclocked?

Yes its the NB. and no i am very confused as to why it is so hot. its a brand new motherboard and it is not overclocked and no other hardware parts are overheating.

i already have a 40mm cpu fan attached to it with zip ties. i was think of buying another and adding it on the the one already attached to increase air flow. will that help ?
a c 717 V Motherboard
September 24, 2010 5:25:12 AM

^ Removing heat-sinks and applying new thermal paste won't accomplish anything both of us apparently posted at the same exact time; it's common knowledge about the NB scalding your fingers.

However, your statement "overheating asus p5n-d 750i motherboard that has drastically lowered in performance" make no logical sense without any OC.
Q - Are you running ANY ASUS Utilities? If so uninstall & restart.
Q - When is this happing?

RE: {Multipliers/Voltage} ~ assumed OC.

Unless you configured a RAID, boot to BIOS and Load Defaults or Clear CMOS.

Subjective or Actual:
Next, remove the side cover for 30+ minutes - "test" the temperature.
Later, replace side cover for same period - "test" the temperature.
If the side cover is lower then your problem is positive/restrictive CASE airflow - you want >CFM exhaust {negative pressure}.

Please post back.
September 26, 2010 2:31:59 PM

Because of the overheating problem i always have the case covers removed but it still overheats.

I uninstalled the asus utilities and restarted the pc but it still overheated.

It overheats even when the pc is idle and gets even hotter when gaming or doing any normal activities. i did not 'configure RAID, boot to BIOS and Load Defaults or Clear CMOS' or atleast i think i did. how do i know if it was done on my pc ?

I remembered when installed the motherboard the thermal paste on the processor's heatsink was dry and most of it it came out. I removed the PROCESSOR'S heatsink and put thermal paste there and plugged back in everything.I booted it up except now the computer comes on for a minute boots up like it would normally but then shuts off. I have no idea what is going on. PLEASE HELP!!
a c 717 V Motherboard
September 26, 2010 5:34:36 PM

In your case, you want only a slight negative pressure; CFM Exhaust > CFM Intake + good airflow.

Next, I would suggest to remove the CPU Heatsink and remove the old thermal paste using a paper towel and isopropyl alcohol with cotton swab. Reapply fresh thermal paste.

See video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7rPqCvCt0g

The "dried" thermal paste was good, it was cured which takes ~ 2 weeks to be most efficient. IF you added extra then that was a mistake.
September 26, 2010 7:51:53 PM

i cleaned off the old thermal paste with a conc alocohol solution. replaced everyhting as is but its still not coming on only for a minute and then shutting off.
a c 717 V Motherboard
September 26, 2010 8:16:30 PM

Did you pull-off the NB or any heatsink fins other than the CPU?
September 26, 2010 8:22:05 PM

nope only the processor heatsink and plugged it back in.
a c 717 V Motherboard
September 26, 2010 8:39:07 PM

To recap:
BIOS = Load Defaults
OC = NO CPU or any OC
Utilities = NO OC CPU or other components
CPU + Heatsink = properly mounted + new Thermal Paste + CPU Fan working properly
Case airflow = Corrected
MOBO = Original Heatsinks in place + never removed

Leaves MOBO possibly shorting; before breadboarding, remove all mounting screws and "dangle" the MOBO & restart <or> breadboard - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

Otherwise BAD MOBO or CPU.
October 23, 2010 10:49:43 AM

ok fixed the problem of it shutting off however it is still overheating. The CPU heat is fine. i did a fresh install of windows so no more asus utilities. all the heat sinks are properly mounted and new thermal paste on the CPU heat sink not the motherboard's. How do i know if any of my hardware is over clocked. The BFG gts 259 OC is overclocked out of the box. I am not sure of the Motherboard and the CPU. Please tell me how to find out.
December 1, 2012 7:48:44 AM

why is it bad to pull the heatsink?
!