HDD to SSD Cloning or Fresh Win 7 install on SSD?

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Hi Guys,
Can anybody give an explanation or guide on which is a better way of setting up an SSD to a PC?
Option 1: HDD to SSD cloning?
Option 2: Fresh Win 7 Install on SSD?

I just recently read an article about Win 7 Fresh install on SSD, stating that it has to enable the SATA configuration to AHCI in the BIOS and enable AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) configuration on Win 7 after installation.

Another Question Please bear with me: Which is better in performance, IDE(Integrated Drive Electronics) or AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface)?

Thanks!

Solution
In general, Solid State Drives perform very well within a Windows 7 environment. There is also a great MSDN blog post discussing the Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives that may prove beneficial. Typically speaking and as other members of this forum have stated, AHCI configuration in addition to a clean or custom install is favored and recommended over a clone. As far as a clean, or custom installation is concerned, I recommend you see Installing and reinstalling Windows for a good step-by-step outline.

In addition to the blog post above, Microsoft has a Microsoft PowerPoint deck detailing the Windows 7 Enhancements for Solid-State Drives that you may also find interesting as you prepare for your migration...

quesionboy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
If you don’t want to reinstall your program, driver, or other applications, you could migrate your system partition to SSD from HDD.
About the detail operation you could refer to this article:
Upgrade hard drive to another HDD

But if you want to use AHCI (maybe you want to use the NCQ mode) you need to install a fresh Windows 7 on SSD.

Please note, if you use AHCI you need to install the SATA driver during installing the OS.

No matter which method you select, I suggest you’d better only use the SSD for system, and formatted your old HDD drive as a data drive. This could make both system performance and data storage better.
Hope this could help you.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Yeah I always do that. After I installed Win 7, I will install all the drivers in a CD that came with the MOBO when I bought it right?

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
In general, Solid State Drives perform very well within a Windows 7 environment. There is also a great MSDN blog post discussing the Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives that may prove beneficial. Typically speaking and as other members of this forum have stated, AHCI configuration in addition to a clean or custom install is favored and recommended over a clone. As far as a clean, or custom installation is concerned, I recommend you see Installing and reinstalling Windows for a good step-by-step outline.

In addition to the blog post above, Microsoft has a Microsoft PowerPoint deck detailing the Windows 7 Enhancements for Solid-State Drives that you may also find interesting as you prepare for your migration.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Solution

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Thanks for the important info.