Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HDD to SSD Cloning or Fresh Win 7 install on SSD?

Last response: in Storage
February 20, 2012 12:46:47 PM

Hi Guys,
Can anybody give an explanation or guide on which is a better way of setting up an SSD to a PC?
Option 1: HDD to SSD cloning?
Option 2: Fresh Win 7 Install on SSD?

I just recently read an article about Win 7 Fresh install on SSD, stating that it has to enable the SATA configuration to AHCI in the BIOS and enable AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) configuration on Win 7 after installation.

Another Question Please bear with me: Which is better in performance, IDE(Integrated Drive Electronics) or AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface)?

Thanks!

More about : hdd ssd cloning fresh win install ssd

a c 265 G Storage
February 20, 2012 1:22:41 PM

ACHI is better and I would do the fresh install.
m
l
February 21, 2012 2:22:07 AM

rolli59 said:

So can you give me the proper steps in installing Fresh Win 7 on the SSD, Please .
m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2012 2:23:47 AM

rolli59 said:

How will you enable the AHCI setting in Win 7 environment?
m
l
a b G Storage
February 21, 2012 6:40:38 AM

If you don’t want to reinstall your program, driver, or other applications, you could migrate your system partition to SSD from HDD.
About the detail operation you could refer to this article:
Upgrade hard drive to another HDD

But if you want to use AHCI (maybe you want to use the NCQ mode) you need to install a fresh Windows 7 on SSD.

Please note, if you use AHCI you need to install the SATA driver during installing the OS.

No matter which method you select, I suggest you’d better only use the SSD for system, and formatted your old HDD drive as a data drive. This could make both system performance and data storage better.
Hope this could help you.
m
l
February 21, 2012 10:49:52 AM

quesionboy said:
If you don’t want to reinstall your program, driver, or other applications, you could migrate your system partition to SSD from HDD.
About the detail operation you could refer to this article:
Upgrade hard drive to another HDD

But if you want to use AHCI (maybe you want to use the NCQ mode) you need to install a fresh Windows 7 on SSD.

Please note, if you use AHCI you need to install the SATA driver during installing the OS.

No matter which method you select, I suggest you’d better only use the SSD for system, and formatted your old HDD drive as a data drive. This could make both system performance and data storage better.
Hope this could help you.

Yeah I always do that. After I installed Win 7, I will install all the drivers in a CD that came with the MOBO when I bought it right?
m
l
a c 265 G Storage
February 21, 2012 10:55:38 AM

aqe040466 said:
Yeah I always do that. After I installed Win 7, I will install all the drivers in a CD that came with the MOBO when I bought it right?

Yes that is right.
m
l

Best solution

February 22, 2012 2:39:30 AM

In general, Solid State Drives perform very well within a Windows 7 environment. There is also a great MSDN blog post discussing the Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives that may prove beneficial. Typically speaking and as other members of this forum have stated, AHCI configuration in addition to a clean or custom install is favored and recommended over a clone. As far as a clean, or custom installation is concerned, I recommend you see Installing and reinstalling Windows for a good step-by-step outline.

In addition to the blog post above, Microsoft has a Microsoft PowerPoint deck detailing the Windows 7 Enhancements for Solid-State Drives that you may also find interesting as you prepare for your migration.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro
February 22, 2012 2:23:45 PM

winoutreach5 said:
In general, Solid State Drives perform very well within a Windows 7 environment. There is also a great MSDN blog post discussing the Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives that may prove beneficial. Typically speaking and as other members of this forum have stated, AHCI configuration in addition to a clean or custom install is favored and recommended over a clone. As far as a clean, or custom installation is concerned, I recommend you see Installing and reinstalling Windows for a good step-by-step outline.

In addition to the blog post above, Microsoft has a Microsoft PowerPoint deck detailing the Windows 7 Enhancements for Solid-State Drives that you may also find interesting as you prepare for your migration.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Thanks for the important info.
m
l
February 22, 2012 2:24:01 PM

Best answer selected by aqe040466.
m
l
February 23, 2012 12:31:51 AM

aqe040466 said:
Best answer selected by aqe040466.

n
nYou are very welcome. I'm happy to help.
n
nJessica
nWindows Outreach Team -- IT Pro
m
l
!