RAID 0 Controller Transfer

ryan9298b2

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
I have two 120GB Corsair Force Series GT SSDs in RAID 0 on the Marvell PCIe 9128 controller. I have been looking around and unbeknownst to me, you can squeeze more performance out of the ICH10R SATA II controller on the ASUS Rampage III Extreme than you can on the Marvell SATA III controller.

Is there any way that I can "transplant" if you will, my RAID 0 array from the Marvell controller to the Intel controller without losing data?

Yes, you can. There is only one RAID BIOS controller on your motherboard, so you should be able to unplug your drive from the Marvell ports and plug them into the Intel ports without issue.

I highly doubt it without making a hard drive clone or backing up the data. If it was from a Marvell to Marvell controller I would say you would have a good shot. Best bet is just to clone the drives to put the data back when you put the drives on the new controller.

ryan9298b2

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
I just switched from the SATA3 Marvell 9128 RAID Controller to
the SATA2 Intel ICH10R RAID Controller and gained about 3x the
performance. Apparently the Marvell Controller S U C K S!!!!! With it, I got
about 225MB/s. With the Intel Controller I got 695MB/s. Keeping in mind that
the Marvell Controller is SATA-3 6Gb/s.

That is pretty good considering that SATA II is 300MB/s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

FireWire2

Distinguished

That is what I find out.

Like i post in other thread! This chip set 9128 is a "Friday Night Design" - Just get it done and has no logic to it...

Think of it: There are TWO ports of SATA3, 6Gb each or total bandwidth of 12Gb. It then feeds to a 1x lane PCI Express bus.

Hehehe talking about packing two lbs of sh*t to one lb bag.

ryan9298b2

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

Its 2 drives connected to 2 ports so it is double bandwidth. 300MB/s per port.