3D Accelerator

aunt maggie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
I bought a game for my children before realizing that I needed a 3D Accelerator to run it. What is the safest way to know which one works best and how to install it?

Yes, we will need to know that before offering much help I am afraid.

Mags ... right click on MY Computer and go to Proprties and tell us what system info you have there.

To get info on the graphics card right click on the desktop (just anywhere in the centre) and go to properties, then hit the far right tab called "settings" and click advanced ... should tell you the graphics card in it.

I am assuming you have Windows XP ... if you have Win98 or 95 I will need to run a tape backup on my brain and get back to you in a day or so.

Find this stuff first and post ... we will go from there.

aunt maggie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
I have no idea and it doesn't tell me under properties. If I have a graphic card, I don't know what kind.
I do good to supply my grandchildren with games that will play on my computer that are not extremely violent. The game in question is Catechumen. If you haven't checked out Christian CD-Rom games, then you probably have never heard of it either.

rasheeq

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
right click on ur desktop > properties > display > advanced > adaptor

tell us what it says there...and also what game did u get? hopefully with these two info we can help :)

aunt maggie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

I could not figure out how to reply so I hope this works.

I have already listed the following:
I have Dell with the following:
Micosoft Window XP
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Computer: Intel(R)
Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3. GHz
2.99 GHz, 504 MB of Ram

As to the graphics card, it must be an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver
Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family 6.14.10.3924

I hope this helps you, as I didn't even know I had a graphics card. WOW

rasheeq

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009

that's coz u do NOT have a graphics card :p it's just the builtin graphics of ur motherboard...to play most of the games that come out nowadays u'll need an external graphics card...u'r motherboard's builtin one is no match for em.

the name of the game wud have helped...but i'm pretty sure this is the problem

What is the safest way to know which one works best and how to install it?
well u need to buy an external grpahics card...u can get one for around 60-70 usd.installing it is pretty easy.but i assume u don know much about hardwares.but i'm sure someone with a little knowledge(no extensive knowledeg required to do this) can help u choose a graphics card nad install it...

btw can u tell us the name of the game pls??coz looking at ur pc specs i'm not sure whether it can run the game even if u get a graphics card(or 3D accelerator) :S

aunt maggie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
The name of the game is CATECHUMEN. It came from the Christian Book store and is a bible game for teens. Put out by N'LIGHTNING. It says on the front that to run it you must have a 3D Accelerator.

rasheeq

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
btw even if u get a gpu(graphics card or 3D accelerator) ur pc doesnt have enough ram to run the game smoothly...probably wont even run it.

nxt time u want to buy a game for ur kids, try posting a thread with ur pc specifications and what type of game u'd like to get for em n there r ppl here who're more than willing to help :)

aunt maggie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Thanks so much for that information. There computer is already loaded with the graphics card, as well as the 3D accelerator, so I'll just give it to them to play on their computer at their house.

darkjuggalo2000

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
The add on cads use to only accerate your onboad graphics....(graphics accelerator)

The new cards have the entire chipset on them and replace your onboard chipset(graphics card)

Similar but a graphics card has way more capabilities than a graphics accelerator...

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
What are you talking about?
A 3D accelerator would accelerate a game if the game used its codepath (Glide for 3Dfx). A VGA card would output VGA to a monitor, when 3D accelerators were still 3D accelerators there were no onboard VGA adapters.

darkjuggalo2000

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
1980s
The IBM Professional Graphics Controller was one of the very first 2D/3D graphics accelerators available for the IBM PC. Released in 1984, 10 years before hardware 3D acceleration became a standard, its high price (~$4500 USD @ 1984 currency), slow processor (8088-2 running at 8MHz), and lack of compatibility with then-current commercial programs made it unable to succeed in the mass-market.

The Commodore Amiga was the first mass-market computer to include a blitter in its video hardware, and IBM's 8514 graphics system was one of the first PC video cards to implement 2D primitives in hardware.

The Amiga was unique, for the time, in that it featured what would now be recognized as a full graphics accelerator, offloading practically all video generation functions to hardware, including line drawing, area fill, block image transfer, and a graphics coprocessor with its own (primitive) instruction set. Prior to this (and quite some time after on most systems) a general purpose CPU had to handle every aspect of drawing the display

darkjuggalo2000

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
right but the Term 3d Accelerator was not originally standardized untill the late 90's

they had pci 3d accelerators before adding the chipset to them making them independent graphics cards. Then AGP was the new hip standard, Now its pci express.

ROHANHYD007

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011

ROHANHYD007

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011