hart140

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I am doing a thermal analysis of CPU heatsinks for my FEM class. I need to find a standard heatsink with all the dimensions including fin width and spacing but I can't seem to find much. I don't want to use an aftermarket heatsink because with the copper tubing and all the advanced geometry it becomes to difficult for me to construct on the program. If anyone has dimensions and maybe a picture of a specific heatsink I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Well, how about the stock Intel® Core™ i7 930 cooler? I just took mine out and these are some of the dimensions I measured (without the fan):

The height of the main circular section is 31mm. (not including the smaller inner circle, which has an upraised CPU contact pad)
The height of the smaller circle is approximately 4mm.
The height of the contact pad is ~ 0.5mm.
The height of the whole CPU cooler w/o the fan is 35.5mm.

If you don't understand the sections, here is an image of the bottom of the stock cooler (this is i7 920 cooler I'm guessing, it has the same shape and structure, only the copper CPU contact pad is slightly larger, and the fins are all the same):

i7_roundup-027.jpg

The CPU contact pad is the copper section, the smaller inner circle is on to of the main body of the heatsink.

The diameter of the copper contact pad is 22mm.
The diameter of the finless section of the smaller, circular base is 40mm.
The diameter of the smaller circular base is 53mm.
The diameter of the main cooler body is 99mm.

Regarding the fins, (this is where it gets tricky, there are several different fin sizes):

The fins on the smaller circular base are 1mm thick.
These fins eventually continue onto the fins which are on the main body, although they are slightly shorter in terms of height, and some vary in length.

There are 46x 1mm fins which spread into two smaller 0.5mm fins, with a 1mm air space in the middle. The distance between the smaller circular base and where the fins start to split is 7mm. The length of the two smaller fins from where they begin to split and the tip is 16.5mm. The fin length in total from the smaller circular base to the tip is ~ 23.5mm.

Then, there are 24x shorter fins, which are 2mm shorter than the other fins, and they are ~21.5mm long.

This is the fin orientation - there are two halves, each half consisting of three short fins, 11 long fins, six short fins and then 12 long fins, in that order, surrounding the smaller circular base.

Hope this helped.

TRENDING THREADS