I can't make sense of my max frequency readings

aguilacuervo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Hi,

I'm having this problem for which I can't find no answer:

MB: ASUS M2V-TVM
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+ Black Edition (no OC)
Memory: 2GB 667MHz DDR2 ECC CL5 DIMM (Kit of 2)

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsinfo.asp?root=&LinkBack=&ktcpartno=KVR667D2E5K2/2G

OK, as far as I can understand, this is all compatible, right? My problem is that since ever I first installed these two memory cards (which should supposedly max at 667MHz each) I can't seem to go past 333MHz each according to my BIOS, CPU-Z and AMD CPUInfo.

What's going on? Am I missing something here? Why can't I get frequencies higher than this?

I read my MB manual carefully before upgrading the memory and it says it can handle up 667MHz ECC. The CPU is also supported by the MB perfectly, so I guess it can't be that the CPU won't run past 333MHz either. Actually, I can't find that bit of info anywhere, so it's just a guess based on the mutual compatibility with the MB... :sweat:

I don't know. Any ideas? I can't crack this one.

Thanks!!

Solution
the_punkinator is kind of right.

The following is an excerpt from an old post I did.

"Using the Q6600 as an example, the FSB frequency is 266 MHz. The matching DDR2 memory clock for that frequency is 533 MHz (266 X 2). DDR2 memory transfers two chunks of data for each bus cycle, hence double the frequency. Each bus cycle generates 2 memory clocks. So, to run 1:1 at an FSB of 266 MHz, we need DDR2-533 RAM.

What CPUZ does is a little confusing. It will tell you that the memory frequency is 266 MHz for a 1:1 ratio. "

In the computer business, there is a big difference between frequency and clock.
the_punkinator is kind of right.

The following is an excerpt from an old post I did.

"Using the Q6600 as an example, the FSB frequency is 266 MHz. The matching DDR2 memory clock for that frequency is 533 MHz (266 X 2). DDR2 memory transfers two chunks of data for each bus cycle, hence double the frequency. Each bus cycle generates 2 memory clocks. So, to run 1:1 at an FSB of 266 MHz, we need DDR2-533 RAM.

What CPUZ does is a little confusing. It will tell you that the memory frequency is 266 MHz for a 1:1 ratio. "

In the computer business, there is a big difference between frequency and clock.

Solution