Last response: in CPUs
April 22, 2010 3:03:11 AM

CPU: Intel E5200 (stock speed)
Cooler: OCZ Vendetta
MOBO: Asus P5K/SE EPU
Case: Lian Li PC60
GPU: BFG 8800GT
PSU: OCZ ModxStream Pro 500W

I've had this computer since October 2008 and I didn't install the cooler properly and I remember it fell off a 2-3 times since I had it and I just barely popped it back in (barely because it still wobbled a bit..). Anyways today took out the motherboard, applied Artic silver 5 and made sure the pins were pushed in for the cooler but I am getting idle temps of 42-45c on both cores on Core Temp and in my BIOS. Any ideas why this is?

More about : e5200 idles 44c

April 22, 2010 3:20:16 AM

42-45C is honestly fine for an idling temp, make sure you don't go above 65C under load and you should be fine.
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2010 3:48:45 AM

I'd say for a dual core, correct idle temps for stock speeds should be around 30-40'C

But the important temperature is load temps - what are your load temps?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2010 5:21:11 AM

You already said you failed 3 times at getting it on right. I bet you failed a 4th time as well.
April 22, 2010 6:43:59 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
I'd say for a dual core, correct idle temps for stock speeds should be around 30-40'C

But the important temperature is load temps - what are your load temps?

His temps could defeniatly be better, but we also don't know what heatsink he has.

If he has one of those chepo intel alminum core heatsinks that may be all it's capable of.
April 22, 2010 2:36:35 PM

I have a OCZ Vendetta. I'll download prime95 and see hwo high the load temps are.

Well i have a small case and I was out of town and i couldn't put enough pressure on one of the push pins for the cooler cause it was a tight fit. When i installed it this time, i unplugged everything and checked the back of the mobo to ensure the pins went through.. so it better be installed correctly -.-
April 22, 2010 5:52:15 PM

I had the same issue with that HSF, needed to remove my motherboard to get it to sit correctly. But I was running a Pentium D 820 2.8Ghz CPU @ stock speed and my temp started at about 38'C and eventually settled on about 46'C. Most Intel core2duo run between 36-46'C and if I am correct you will see about 60'C underload, mine would shoot up to 64'C under 100% load with that fan and have had no issues. (PS, the Pentium D runs hot normally and I believe you may have not cleaned your CPU properly and applied an even coat of thermal paste to ensure even heat distribution)
!