ATI Radeon HD 5770 crashing every game I through at it

hoogiz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Hi there,

I recently finished a first time build, spesifically for casual gaming, and so far every game i've thrown at it has crashed after a while.

The Sims 3 crashes very quickly, has vertical lines along the screen and the sound still plays.

Bioshock receives the same.

The Sims 2 is fine until I try and up the graphic options from standard and then it fails, and just the screen goes blank.

It is an ATI Radeon 5770, there is power getting to it (the fan is spinning) and it is recognised by the software it comes with (however it says it's only a Radeon 5700 series, and doesn't give the exact make. However, things like Folding@Home and Photoshop say my graphics card is not recognised.

I have installed all new drivers, but I didn't uninstall the original drivers before installing the new ones so that may be an issue.

One other thing I have noticed is that the GPU, even though seated correctly, does wobble rather worringlying in the PCI-e slot.. would pictures be helpful?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well you said it yourself "but I didn't uninstall the original drivers before installing the new ones so that may be an issue". Your GPU will not operate correctly when you have 2 different drivers, that normally causes a major conflict. When you are about to install a NEW GPU the first thing you do is DELETE any old previous driver files/apps/CCC etc... Then you reboot, install the most recent driver and you are done.

1. Unistall the new driver.

2. Uninstall the old driver.

3. Run a registry cleaner (i.e. CCleaner / Driversweeper) and get rid of anything that has a ATI or nVidia in it

4. Install latest driver(s) from card manufacturer's / ATI web site.

hoogiz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Ah, I only just saw your post JackNaylor.

I will try Sims 3 now, I followed all your advice apart from the registry cleaner. I don't think that has solved it though, infact just trying to type this message I had one sudden white screen which required reboot and one black screen which required reboot.

Folding@Home still doesn't recognise the card.

Just gonna pop in Sims 3 now see what happens.

What Powersupply do you have in the system (was it a prebuilt system you added the card to) ?? - IF so it could be you need a better PSU -even though the 5770 is a pretty low power consumption card it still needs more than the 300W units that come in many prebuilt systems and the problems you are having sounds like a lack of power to keep the thing running.

hoogiz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
It is a self-built system.

The PSU is a 500watt PSU by a company called High Power - it was to replace a budget PSU that came with my case. It cost £60, however I would still be willing to buy an even higher replacement if you think it would be worth it...

hoogiz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Well, I don't have the box anymore... so probably not.

Just to update: have installed new drivers, cleared registry etc. how I was told to.

No change.

Any other ideas or will I have to replace my PSU?

Freakykiwi

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Is CCC installed and working? If it works then you must be using an ATI driver and can confirm the driver version.
You can also manually update the driver in device manager from the c:\ATI\Support folder that the driver package extracts to.

Check the card temps too, if the games start and then crash this could be a possible cause.

hoogiz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
The Driver Packaging Version 8.69-091211a-094917C-ATI
Catalyst™ Version 10.1
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.994
2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
Direct3D Version 8.14.10.0723
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.9252
Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2009.1211.1547.28237

That's all it says about the Graphics Software, and according to CCC the temp of the card is 35-36 degrees

G

I doubt its your PSU that is the problem...

One other thing I have noticed is that the GPU, even though seated correctly, does wobble rather worringlying in the PCI-e slot.. would pictures be helpful?
I suspect this is the problem. Some cases may not have all their parts perfectly aligned meaning that expansion cards , when inserted correctly, do not have their screw holes (I/O plate) lined up with the case's screw holes, in which case the card may get unseated a bit when you screw the card in.

hoogiz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
I have screwed the card in, however it did take some effort requiring two people: one to screw and the other to hold in position.

However, it seems pretty firmly slotted in place. It no longer wobbles now though.

sufyan

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
''

Man the ATI new drivers suck, the old drivers are the best the new drivers crash in every game.
I have ATI RADEON 6850 and when i updates it it started flickering on my windows seven, every game was flickering, black opps, mefdal of honour, flash point, spiderman shattered dimensions.

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
I have 5870 xfired , having crashes vertical lines etc.

Funny thing is, tested individually, one card is fine, and the other one causes the problems. RMA'd it, hopefully found faulty