benser

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Alright guys, I need your help. I just built an entirely new system and I'm getting problems. Seems to be memory related but its too difficult to track down precisely whats causing what so I thought I'd come here and see if anyone can shed any light on whats going on.

My current system is as follows;

Intel i7 930 2.8ghz
Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
2x 748mb Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 460
6gb (3x2gb) DDR3 1600mhz Corsair Dominator
1tb WD Caviar Black HDD
Some 650w PSU that isn't fancy.
Windows 7 ultimate

I hope that's enough information, I've not modified nor overclocked any components and I'll share any additional information about any components mentioned or that i've neglected to mention should anyone ask. This computer is primarily for gaming.

Right, I'm positive the memory is installed correctly, the manual makes it very clear on where to put the dimms for an trichannel configuration and they're all in properly.

I have 2 basic problems;

Firstly, Im started to get alot of 0x50 blue screens and programs crashing with memory reference errors. I considered that one of the dimms was faulty so swapped them in and out individually. No single dimm performed any better or worse on its own than any other, and now I've reconnected them all the problem seems to have died down alot for no apparent reason. All I've read concerning the 0x50 error is to disable the L2 cache via the bios. I attempted to do this but this seemed to have a more negative effect on performance and once recorrected my system yet again began to perform better than it was before, despite now being unchanged. I no longer get any BSOD, though I still get frequent memory reference errors. I'm not going to pretend I have any idea what a memory reference error is. It causes any program closed by such an error to be unusable until after a system restart.

Aswell as these errors, though perhaps related to the memory reference error, some programs simply will not start, or load a splash screen then close without dialogue, or close at the beginning of a loading screen without dialogue, or close at the end of a game round without dialogue. Simple process ending without warning nor acknowledgement.

After a while no game will play, they all close at some stage or other, giving reason or no. I do recall reading somewhere that abrupt program closes was memory related and with the above errors which Im sure are ram related I thought it best to come ask people who know what they're on about for any help.

I have not run memtest86 or any similar program yet, I've no blank discs, empty flash drives nor floppies.

I really hope anyone can provide any assistance with this.

benser

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
No sorry, I meant that accidental additional post which had a second problem that popped into my head that I had forgotten i'd resolved ><

benser

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Well, like I said I can't run memtest right now because I have no available media to put memtest on, though I guess Ill take a look incase there's a new way of doing it.

As for the PSU it's this. I have absolutely no idea what the current is and I seriously need a new one but its powerful enough for now. God look at it, I'm almost embarrased, generic PoS ><

benser

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Corsair site says the ram is supported, memtest came out with nothing but passes, I'll get a better PSU asap but right now that's not going to be causing these problems is it?

I wouldn't say it doesn't. It sometimes damages parts with bad power to the components. But in your case it shouldn't be the case for the RAM's.

But your second issue could mean a PSU issue. If you have a friend who has a good PSU then try it out for some time and see if the problems occurs or not.

paigeinfull

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
+1 for the psu. A generic 650w is not enough for your system. An insufficient psu can throw all sorts of odd errors and passing memtest pretty much confirms this.

Just out curiosity how many amps are on the +12v rail?