Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need a new gaming headset

Last response: in Components
April 22, 2010 3:58:12 AM

I need a new headset... old one broken and I'm moving into a new apartment with other people in it.
I'd like to keep the budget under 200 and I'd be interested in a 5.1...7.1 headset. Also, a mic is a requirement.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks

More about : gaming headset

Best solution

April 22, 2010 4:15:57 AM

I have the logitech g35 and love it. good sound, great bass, good mike.
April 22, 2010 4:27:28 AM

+1

i have the g35. its build quality is a little lower than other surround sound headsets, but its also cheaper than most. and the audio is as good as any other on the market (in fact, better than everything ive used other than razer megolodons)

for the price you can't argue, megolodons are better but also considerably more expensive. i'd get the g35s

Related resources
April 22, 2010 5:08:05 AM

how do they compare to plantronics 777s?
also, the megalodon's are only 20 more than the G35
a b 4 Gaming
April 22, 2010 5:26:54 AM

mybe it's just me but I always found that surround soud headset did not do a better job then virtual suround sets. IMO it's because the speakers are so close together. On top of that because of size constraints the sound was never on par with a good stereo headset.

I would recomend the WoW wireless headset. sound is amazing, very lightweight and comfortable. And being wireless means you can get up to use the can or kick back to read a book without tripping on cords.
April 22, 2010 5:34:55 AM

PsyKhiqZero said:
mybe it's just me but I always found that surround soud headset did not do a better job then virtual suround sets. IMO it's because the speakers are so close together. On top of that because of size constraints the sound was never on par with a good stereo headset.

I would recomend the WoW wireless headset. sound is amazing, very lightweight and comfortable. And being wireless means you can get up to use the can or kick back to read a book without tripping on cords.

I dunno my friend told me he notices a huge difference between stereo headsets and 5.1 and 7.1
April 22, 2010 8:09:01 AM

yes, there is a massive difference. surround sound is directional, and incredibly noticeable in games.

here in NZ the g35 costs 150 dollars, while the megolodons are 300. if the price difference is so msall where you are, id get the megolodons.

i prefer virtual surround in headsets, because multiple drivers are easily noticeable when audio switched between them, which ruins the experience IMO.
virtual surround is just as good for directional audio, without the seperation in audi drivers.

the g35s can also be switched to stero mode for listening to music and such, which i like. not sure of the Megas can do that though.

i certainly would reocmend one of those two headsets, if the mega is only an extra 20 bucks, id say go for it.
April 22, 2010 9:43:53 AM

Virtual surround is better than 5.1 and 7.1 headphones. The only reason your brain tells you a sound is say at your 3 o clock is because of the volume ratio between one ear and another, and the difference between your say 1.30 and your 4.30 (NE and SE) is because of the tone and the reverb time. I've worked with speaker arrays (5.1, 7.1 and walls of sound) and headsets and it's been proven that speaker arrays do make a difference over 2 channel stereo but as for headsets? virtual surround is just as good, with the cans devoted to just two speakers there is a lot more room for bass and treble replication than squeezing in 4 little tweeters and a little woofer in each can and calling it 7.1. Unless you're isolating each of the tweeters and using an EQ to replicate a behind ear effect and modifying the opposite speakers to replicate the particular rooms reverb time and EQ, virtual surround does an accurate enough job through software.
April 22, 2010 10:56:17 AM

I have Roccat Kave (5.1 headset with 3 separate speakers in a cup) and I'm very happy with those...

here is the link: http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Sound/ROCCAT-Kave...

I hear very clear difference between normal headset (stereo) and this ones.

Sound quality is at least on pair with other stereo headset for that price range, but in gaming and movies, the Kave is much better...
April 22, 2010 5:10:34 PM

welshmousepk said:
yes, there is a massive difference. surround sound is directional, and incredibly noticeable in games.

here in NZ the g35 costs 150 dollars, while the megolodons are 300. if the price difference is so msall where you are, id get the megolodons.

i prefer virtual surround in headsets, because multiple drivers are easily noticeable when audio switched between them, which ruins the experience IMO.
virtual surround is just as good for directional audio, without the seperation in audi drivers.

the g35s can also be switched to stero mode for listening to music and such, which i like. not sure of the Megas can do that though.

i certainly would reocmend one of those two headsets, if the mega is only an extra 20 bucks, id say go for it.

I was doing some research on the Megas on newegg and a lot of people seem to be complaining about problems with them not working
April 22, 2010 10:53:58 PM

i think i'm going to go with the G35 unless anyone has any other suggestions i can get the G35's for 115 and free shipping
April 22, 2010 11:28:39 PM

That's a good price. Also, the logitech site shows it at $130, but if you call them sometimes they will give you a better price.
April 23, 2010 1:17:41 AM

Best answer selected by 2real.
April 23, 2010 3:23:54 AM

Yay! My first best answer. Thanks.
a b 4 Gaming
September 5, 2010 8:07:39 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!