H80 fan direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

full_out

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Hey guys. I have an Antec 300 case. I have the 2 fans on the front as intake on medium speed. I have the side fan as intake on medium speed. And the top and the rear as exhaust on full.
Now I am finally upgrading my CPU cooler from stock. I didn't want to go with water cooling but I found a brand new H80 for $60 cash. Can't go wrong with that!

What my question is, which way do I have the fans on the radiator? Am I supposed to suck air into the case with it to get cold air on the rad? Or do I use it as an exhaust and suck air out of the case? Right now the air is cold that is blowing out my exhaust fans so I figured I should use the fans on the rad as an exhaust.

I see that you are supposed to use them as intake, but I don't like the idea of pushing hot air into my case...

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Well if you case temperatures are cool then exhaust is fine. I myself find my temperatures lowered by 5-7 degrees with the fan as an intake on my Antec Kuhler 620.

socialfox

Distinguished
I do not have the same setup as you but it would not hurt to try 4 intakes and 1 exhaust. Generally you should get positive pressure in your case and intakes should be greater than exhausts. So my suggestion, try side panel fan first as intake and then try as exhaust. See if there are significant temperature changes to the video card. If this were a side panel fan over the CPU then I would tell you it would be fine to exhaust it since you are using the H60 but because it's over the video card I would keep it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.