Sign in with
Your question
Solved

WD10EARS as reliable backup drive

Last response: in Storage
February 20, 2012 3:39:50 PM

Hello everyone,
I'm looking to buy a backup 1TB HD and to me speed doesn't matter since it's for auxillary storage. Even 5400 RPM (Intellipower on WD) is fine. I'm already running a WD5000AADS and it has been working fine for the past few years. I don't watch high bandwidth (bitrate) movies and nor do I play games. Now, I've read reviews for a 1TB WD10EARS on newegg and most people had it die on them real soon. I've never had a faulty drive in over a decade and we have poor power conditions and really hot weather. I still wonder why so many people have failing drives and thats what makes my purchase decision harder.

So, what do you guys say about WD10EARS as a reliable backup drive only. Im gonna use it with windows 7. If you have any other recommendations, please post. I just need a 1TB WD. Thanks.
a c 119 G Storage
February 20, 2012 4:11:10 PM

What is your budget amount for the HDD? The drive that you are refering to is a popular drive and has a lot of feedback and has an average rating. I think it will suit your needs and if your motherboard supports sata3 they have the WD 10 EARX which is the same capacity and same price only it's sata3. Surprisingly the WD20EARS and the WD20EARX which are 2tb hdd's are only $10 more and for $10 would be to me a no brainer to add 1tb for such a small cost.
m
l
February 20, 2012 4:20:45 PM

Hi, thanks for posting.
The WD10EARS costs $120 in my country and the board i have is an Intel DH67CL. but unfortunately, the store would sell WD20EARS for a much higher price here.
I heard that 1TB drives have two platters which makes them run hotter and less reliable. Is that so? I do have a Caviar Black 1TB WD1002FAEX as primary boot running for about 5 months or so without problems.
m
l
Related resources
February 20, 2012 5:02:55 PM

I have one of this 1TB drives and 6 of the 2TB drives, they have been working good for a few years now. I use them mainly to store movies. Again no problems whatsoever.

m
l
a c 119 G Storage
February 20, 2012 5:08:32 PM

I have not heard of any heating issues with the drives because of the number of platters or for any other reason. As long as you have a case fan in the front of the case that blows through the hdd rack it would keep the drives cool anyway.
m
l
a b G Storage
February 20, 2012 5:37:23 PM

If you want reliability for a backup drive, I think you should buy some kind of mobil sata rack and install the hdd you want to buy inside this rack. This way you can switch it off when you don't need it and save it from unnecessary wear and tear.
m
l
February 21, 2012 12:01:47 PM

Yeah I don't think heat should be an issue. I'm also gonna get a rack for ext storage. Thanks everyone for replying here :) 
m
l

Best solution

a c 119 G Storage
February 21, 2012 3:10:28 PM

Western Digital Elements 1.5TB Desktop External Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have this drive pluged into my router for a network based backup solution , it's usb and would give you a good backup drive to use and it's big enough and comes in its own case. I have had this connected for almost a year with no issues.
March 2, 2012 11:32:26 AM

Best answer selected by streambuffer.
m
l
February 11, 2013 5:48:28 PM

got two of these WD10EARS drives to be used as backup drives in a MAC PRO OS10.6, they were really slow, almost unsusable (imagine waiting 3 o 4 minutes to transfer a 2 gb folder). Tried them on a PC Win 7 64 and it was really not working, wors than the mac..... not even itunes could read ONE song....

Tried al the tools from WD and nothing...... i´ll be saving them only to store info as backup...

They are not good drives....... try HITACHI, SAMSUNG or black Westerns.... green WD SUCKS!

streambuffer said:
Hello everyone,
I'm looking to buy a backup 1TB HD and to me speed doesn't matter since it's for auxillary storage. Even 5400 RPM (Intellipower on WD) is fine. I'm already running a WD5000AADS and it has been working fine for the past few years. I don't watch high bandwidth (bitrate) movies and nor do I play games. Now, I've read reviews for a 1TB WD10EARS on newegg and most people had it die on them real soon. I've never had a faulty drive in over a decade and we have poor power conditions and really hot weather. I still wonder why so many people have failing drives and thats what makes my purchase decision harder.

So, what do you guys say about WD10EARS as a reliable backup drive only. Im gonna use it with windows 7. If you have any other recommendations, please post. I just need a 1TB WD. Thanks.

m
l
March 30, 2013 6:06:41 AM

I would not get anything from WD even if they were giving it away. Read the forums. WD drives die on you as did my 500G my book. Only managed to recover the data because I've got a workstation with a spare bay and could mount the drive in there once i'd ripped it out of WD housing and rubbish circuit board. I would go solid state or cloud and always back up your back up, so maybe solid state and cloud. Most consumer back up drives do not have own cooling so very prone to heat failure. If you leave them plugged in you've had it. Caveat emptor.

m
l
!