SSD Compatability

0BackwoodsBoy0

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Ok, so I was looking up on SSD, cause my computer is half-decent, but the HDD really isn't :/ I think its a 7200RPM HDD with 3GB/s SATA II, and I'm expieriencing slow boot times, so I figured the HDD may be the problem. So, if your going to do a job, do it properly, right? SSD is the new thing and I was thinking an 80GB SSD for the OS, fav games and important software and a 6GB/s 1TB HDD for mass storage. Problem is, I've heard about a lot of trouble with SSDs with being compatible. According to some people, you need SATA III and I'm not sure whether I have it or not, cause all my mobo book says is it has SATA up to 6GB/s ports x6. It's only just a year old so I didnt think it was SATA I but I was making sure, because I've also heard they do work with SATA II 6GB/s, but it is it worth it over a normal 6GB/s HDD?
thanks

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
whats your mother board brand name / make ... the only issues you might have during instillation is makeing sure that achi is turned on in your motherboard bio's but theres also an issue with that .. so what id say is before you install the ssd drive and make sure you turn on the achi feature in the os it will not do it automatically .. this will give you the best performance with your new drive personally i have a patriot wildfire 120 and its more then enough for my needs and plently fast .. as for ssd drives your pretty much looking at sandforce 2281 controller for sata 3 .. so with that in mind there are some really good performers out there ocz max iops and wildfire are up in the same area .. ocz is a little bit more .. crusial m4 is another good one .. you shouldnt have to many issues most of the vendors have worked out the bugs related to firmware issues .. on these drives ..

What is your mobo model?
More than likely SATA 3 is supported. Also many people use 7200RPM HDD's and could careless how slow they're boot times. I am about inbetween. if my boot time is slow every now and then, then i am ok but if everytime i boot windows and it takes 5 minutes to load. I have considered a SSD, but they have been known to have issues here and there from time to time. but i think they are fixing them tp work better

0BackwoodsBoy0

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
My mobo name is ASUS M4A87TD/USB3, and my boot time is a couple of mins usually about 3, but it's windows because my HDD! on the windows rated thing, everything else is like 7.5-8 but the HDD is like 5.9 :L I can figure out how to do it mostly, and because I have an OEM version of 7, it will be a little easier apparently. I was just checking whether its still worth it with SATA II

larkspur

Distinguished
SATA II = 3gb/s
SATA III = 6gb/s

They are backwards compatible.

Your mobo says it has six SATA 6gb/s ports so you're fine. SSDs are very fast and definitely speed up boot times. Your SATA 3gb/s 7200rpm HDD from a year ago is going to perform just about the same as a SATA 6gb/s 7200rpm HDD today. HDDs simply can't use all the bandwidth of SATA 3gb/s let alone the SATA 6gb/s.

I would buy a nice 128gb SSD to use as a boot/performance app drive and use your old spinner for data. Read: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-review-benchmark,3115.html