Sign in with
Your question

Connecting internal SATA HDD through USB

Last response: in Storage
February 20, 2012 3:43:42 PM

Hello, I have a 1.5TB internal HDD(loaded with data) and is intending to use it through USB by putting it in a HDD case. But my computer is detecting it as "USB to ATA/ATAPI bridge" but is not able to access it. I went to Control Panel ----> Storage, saw it there but I am afraid that to use it I have to format it to use/access it. Is there any was I can use/access it without formatting it ?
a c 103 G Storage
February 21, 2012 7:02:38 PM

Does the drive work fine internally? If yes, try using it in a different USB enclosure and make sure that it supports your drive size.
m
l
February 28, 2012 3:27:39 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Does the drive work fine internally? If yes, try using it in a different USB enclosure and make sure that it supports your drive size.

Problem solved !!
The HDD was 'Dynamic', so to be able to access it using an HDD Ext. case it needs to be a 'Basic' disk. But the if we do that from control panel, it erases the data. I used 'Dynamic Disk Converter', which converted it to a basic disk without damaging the data.
m
l
February 28, 2012 7:35:39 AM

You have to right click on my computer icon and go to manage than go to disk management under storage. There should be a drive that is labeled "unpartitioned space" right click on that and select format after this the drive should be activated and formatted for regular use in window.
m
l
!