Sign in with
Your question

P55 vs h55 or h57 - USB3 and SATA 6Gbs (Gigabyte)

Last response: in Motherboards
September 24, 2010 12:03:26 PM

EDIT: sorry, should be in Gigabyte section but it didnt give me that option in quick instant message as i was writing this when not registered

Hi,

I've decided to go for Gigabyte as I've heard that lately these are the most reliable mobos giving the least problems. I want to go for the future proof setup so i'm interested in USB3 and SATA 6Gbs support. I'm using single, powerful graphics card rather than 2 in SLI/CF.

I've chosen GA-P55A-UD3 or UD3R, they both have both facilities mentioned above, however they also got note saying:

"1.When SATA3 / USB 3.0 (Marvell 9128 /NEC USB 3.0 Controllers) work at turbo mode, 1st PCIE x16 will work at x8 speed."

my 1st question is - what doest it mean "turbo mode", is it fater than usual USB3, or maybe that's where the USB3 cuts down to USB2 speeds?

2nd question is: are there any devices (HDDs or SSDs) which will actually take a profit, or let me put it this way - will normal for example 1.5T 7200 hdd or 64 GB ssd get an extra boost from using these ports?

and the 3rd, last question: it says in the note that PCI-E will work only in 8x mode when USB3/SATA 6Gbs port is in turbo mode, now - let's say i am using my HD5850 graphics and have SSD connected to this port and i am playing crysis which is installed on this SSD - will this affect the performance?

Basically I want to know if this is the right mobo for me and is there any sense of buying mobo with these facilities atm, or maybe i should go for another model without these limitations?
a c 135 V Motherboard
September 25, 2010 3:36:19 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums
1_Turbo mode is for Intel i7 CPUs.When enabled,the CPU will run at a higher speed.
2_No you aren't going to get a boost using HDD/SSDs with different ports.
3_I think it will perform at x8 in CF mode only, so with only 1 5850, it should work at x16(Ask gigabyte to be 100% sure)
Newer P55 boards don't have this issues.
m
l
!