Sign in with
Your question

I7 3820 @ 4.7 temps normal?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 16, 2012 10:24:27 PM

Hi guys,
I have an i7 3820 running @ 4.7 and using Hwmonitor I noticed idle temps to be around 47-50ºC and when gaming (Shogun 2) it goes up to 61-65º, I´ve never seen reach 70º. I think the temps when under load are fine it´s when idle that seem a bit high.
Core voltage is 1.384 and I have a Noctua NH-D14, also ambient temp is pretty warm.
What do you guys think?

More about : 3820 temps normal

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 30, 2012 8:07:44 PM

50C is aweful high for an idle temperature. Have you tried watching your temperature in the Bios? Also, to be honest with my 2600k, no game has every really "heated" the processor to near max load temperatures. Prime and IBT have always shown better results as a game doesn't always stress a processor. Maybe you're just too hot and the processor doesn't get enough load from Shogun 2 to really show what it's temperatures would be.

Personally I'd start by doing some stress testings with Prime and see where the loads really go. I actually have had a bad thermal paste application or two that have resulted in high idle temperatures that seemed stable until I started running prime on the CPU. There's so many things that could be causing it; but I'd start by doing some testings and watching temperatures within those tests. Maybe try going back to stock and watching the temperatures may reveal that the processor just doesn't want to be cold at that voltage? Maybe there just isn't enough ventilation in that case? Like I said, a million different things could be the culprit here. But those idle temperatures; they are definitely high as my 2600k only hits 50C at a high load with IBT/Prime.
February 13, 2013 9:51:52 PM

Zild1 said:
Hi guys,
I have an i7 3820 running @ 4.7 and using Hwmonitor I noticed idle temps to be around 47-50ºC and when gaming (Shogun 2) it goes up to 61-65º, I´ve never seen reach 70º. I think the temps when under load are fine it´s when idle that seem a bit high.
Core voltage is 1.384 and I have a Noctua NH-D14, also ambient temp is pretty warm.
What do you guys think?

I am also using a 3820 @4.4GHz (since my evga board hates base-clock changes). May I wonder why your core voltage is so high? At 4.4 GHz, I have to run at 1.275V. Then at 4.7, I would assume that it should stick stable around 1.32~1.34V. That should bring it down significantly. then, "idle" for me is about 20 overclocked (60-65 on burn tests). the 50 degrees is a bit high. I have water cooling, but even so, it should not be that high. At stock what does it run at? If more than 30 (idle), you probably got the thermal paste on wrong, or your case is blocking air from entering/exiting properly.
!