Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HP laptops

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Product
Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
August 15, 2004 5:54:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Greetings! What are the opinions of the members of this NG about
laptops made by HP? With thanks.

More about : laptops

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
August 15, 2004 10:01:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"zxcvar" <arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu> wrote in message
news:f0e5a6c.0408151254.45e3ad6b@posting.google.com...
>
> Greetings! What are the opinions of the
> members of this NG about laptops made
> by HP? With thanks.


They stink.

Will never buy one again.



dk
August 15, 2004 11:31:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I bought last January a Compaq(HP) Presario 2195. It came installed with Win
XP and your typical needs:cd player/burner, wireless capability, usb ports,
14" screen, and I must say for the price at Best Buy, $1199US with the $500
rebate, I couldn't pass it up.

I installed Office XP and my Linksys wireless, and I am very impressed that
it has responded so well. Guess all the gainsayers can't be right all the
time?

RED in NC
"Dan Koren" <danken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:411fdd28$1@news.meer.net...
> "zxcvar" <arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu> wrote in message
> news:f0e5a6c.0408151254.45e3ad6b@posting.google.com...
> >
> > Greetings! What are the opinions of the
> > members of this NG about laptops made
> > by HP? With thanks.
>
>
> They stink.
>
> Will never buy one again.
>
>
>
> dk
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
August 16, 2004 12:10:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

zxcvar wrote:
> Greetings! What are the opinions of the members of this NG about
> laptops made by HP? With thanks.

Generally, except for their most capable laptops, both Compaq and HP are
as reliable as any, better than some, but not exciting. Most have ho-hum
sound, barely adequate video, just OK screens. That being said, they
sell very competively and are good value for routine use. Support is,
well, just a bit better than Sony and that's not saying much. But, get
used to the concept of laptops as commodities since that's what HP is
selling and the others can't be too far behind.

Q
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
August 16, 2004 2:52:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Most of the time they all work right out of the
box.

But let's see what happens six months or one year
down the road, or the first time when you need HP
support.

Also remember that for a product to stink, it does
not mean that every single item is broken. It is
sufficient for 3 out of 10 to break. The other 7
owners might still be very happy.

Keep your fingers crossed.


dk



"RED" <anglirich@lexcominc.net> wrote in message
news:cfornt$1743$1@news3.infoave.net...
> I bought last January a Compaq(HP) Presario 2195. It came installed with
Win
> XP and your typical needs:cd player/burner, wireless capability, usb
ports,
> 14" screen, and I must say for the price at Best Buy, $1199US with the
$500
> rebate, I couldn't pass it up.
>
> I installed Office XP and my Linksys wireless, and I am very impressed
that
> it has responded so well. Guess all the gainsayers can't be right all the
> time?
>
> RED in NC
> "Dan Koren" <danken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:411fdd28$1@news.meer.net...
> > "zxcvar" <arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu> wrote in message
> > news:f0e5a6c.0408151254.45e3ad6b@posting.google.com...
> > >
> > > Greetings! What are the opinions of the
> > > members of this NG about laptops made
> > > by HP? With thanks.
> >
> >
> > They stink.
> >
> > Will never buy one again.
> >
> >
> >
> > dk
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
August 16, 2004 2:24:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

We ordered a HP zx5000 this weekend. I've heard great things about HP
laptops. It seems the diehard notebook people only recommend IBM or
Fujitsu. But, HP's are very good laptops. This will by our first
laptop. I did ALOT of research before buying this model...

These specs:
- Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition
- Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 3.00 GHz w/HT Technology
- 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen(1280x800)
- 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) 9600
- 512MB DDR SDRAM (1x512MB)
- 60 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
- DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
- 54g(TM) Integ. Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN & Bluetooth
- Microsoft(R) Works/Money
- 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
$1602 - $100 rebate - $25 coupon = $1577

As for sound, the zx5000 is rated very high with their speaker system.

Anyone else have a HP zx5000?

SK



Quaoar wrote:
> zxcvar wrote:
>
>>Greetings! What are the opinions of the members of this NG about
>>laptops made by HP? With thanks.
>
>
> Generally, except for their most capable laptops, both Compaq and HP are
> as reliable as any, better than some, but not exciting. Most have ho-hum
> sound, barely adequate video, just OK screens. That being said, they
> sell very competively and are good value for routine use. Support is,
> well, just a bit better than Sony and that's not saying much. But, get
> used to the concept of laptops as commodities since that's what HP is
> selling and the others can't be too far behind.
>
> Q
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
August 16, 2004 5:58:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

zxcvar ha pensato forte :
> Greetings! What are the opinions of the members of this NG about
> laptops made by HP? With thanks.

Great notebooks.

Here in Italy, only HP/Compaq has an excellent after-sales support.
All others (Toshiba, Asus, Acer)...are bad...

--
Frank, Naples, Italy
Io uso MesNews: Sito: http://mesnews.no-ip.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
August 16, 2004 6:38:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Whatever makes you happy.

Good luck with your new
toy.



dk


"Steve & Sharon" <fishcube@butler-bremer.com> wrote in message
news:4120D1BF.9000906@butler-bremer.com...
> We ordered a HP zx5000 this weekend. I've heard great things about HP
> laptops. It seems the diehard notebook people only recommend IBM or
> Fujitsu. But, HP's are very good laptops. This will by our first
> laptop. I did ALOT of research before buying this model...
>
> These specs:
> - Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition
> - Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 3.00 GHz w/HT Technology
> - 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen(1280x800)
> - 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) 9600
> - 512MB DDR SDRAM (1x512MB)
> - 60 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
> - DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
> - 54g(TM) Integ. Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN & Bluetooth
> - Microsoft(R) Works/Money
> - 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
> $1602 - $100 rebate - $25 coupon = $1577
>
> As for sound, the zx5000 is rated very high with their speaker system.
>
> Anyone else have a HP zx5000?
>
> SK
>
>
>
> Quaoar wrote:
> > zxcvar wrote:
> >
> >>Greetings! What are the opinions of the members of this NG about
> >>laptops made by HP? With thanks.
> >
> >
> > Generally, except for their most capable laptops, both Compaq and HP are
> > as reliable as any, better than some, but not exciting. Most have ho-hum
> > sound, barely adequate video, just OK screens. That being said, they
> > sell very competively and are good value for routine use. Support is,
> > well, just a bit better than Sony and that's not saying much. But, get
> > used to the concept of laptops as commodities since that's what HP is
> > selling and the others can't be too far behind.
> >
> > Q
> >
> >
>
August 17, 2004 1:14:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In fact, I did have to test their CS dept. two weeks ago. On a Sat. morning
at 6am est., my screen went black. Programs still running, barely visible,
but for the most part, black.

I contacted Compaq on my kids computer and told them in the e-mail what
happened to my laptop.

Within 1 hour on a Sat. morning I got a real live tech response. Seems my
fan went out on me and they told me they will issue a FedEx pickup Tuesday
at my address and repair at no charge.

I bring my laptop to work and box it up, FedEx comes in and picks it up,
ships from NC to California overnight, and by Thursday at 10 am I have my
laptop back, fixed and working like it never missed a beat.

To me, that was Customer Service at it's best in a 3-day span!

RED in NC
"Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:41202154$1@news.meer.net...
>
>
> Most of the time they all work right out of the
> box.
>
> But let's see what happens six months or one year
> down the road, or the first time when you need HP
> support.
>
> Also remember that for a product to stink, it does
> not mean that every single item is broken. It is
> sufficient for 3 out of 10 to break. The other 7
> owners might still be very happy.
>
> Keep your fingers crossed.
>
>
> dk
>
>
>
> "RED" <anglirich@lexcominc.net> wrote in message
> news:cfornt$1743$1@news3.infoave.net...
> > I bought last January a Compaq(HP) Presario 2195. It came installed with
> Win
> > XP and your typical needs:cd player/burner, wireless capability, usb
> ports,
> > 14" screen, and I must say for the price at Best Buy, $1199US with the
> $500
> > rebate, I couldn't pass it up.
> >
> > I installed Office XP and my Linksys wireless, and I am very impressed
> that
> > it has responded so well. Guess all the gainsayers can't be right all
the
> > time?
> >
> > RED in NC
> > "Dan Koren" <danken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:411fdd28$1@news.meer.net...
> > > "zxcvar" <arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu> wrote in message
> > > news:f0e5a6c.0408151254.45e3ad6b@posting.google.com...
> > > >
> > > > Greetings! What are the opinions of the
> > > > members of this NG about laptops made
> > > > by HP? With thanks.
> > >
> > >
> > > They stink.
> > >
> > > Will never buy one again.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > dk
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
August 17, 2004 4:15:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Mine is six years old and is still as good as when i first got it. Ive
upgraded the ram and yes the processor. Getting drivers can be frustrating
but if you know what your looking for you'll find them.

Bob


"Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:41202154$1@news.meer.net...
>
>
> Most of the time they all work right out of the
> box.
>
> But let's see what happens six months or one year
> down the road, or the first time when you need HP
> support.
>
> Also remember that for a product to stink, it does
> not mean that every single item is broken. It is
> sufficient for 3 out of 10 to break. The other 7
> owners might still be very happy.
>
> Keep your fingers crossed.
>
>
> dk
>
>
>
> "RED" <anglirich@lexcominc.net> wrote in message
> news:cfornt$1743$1@news3.infoave.net...
> > I bought last January a Compaq(HP) Presario 2195. It came installed with
> Win
> > XP and your typical needs:cd player/burner, wireless capability, usb
> ports,
> > 14" screen, and I must say for the price at Best Buy, $1199US with the
> $500
> > rebate, I couldn't pass it up.
> >
> > I installed Office XP and my Linksys wireless, and I am very impressed
> that
> > it has responded so well. Guess all the gainsayers can't be right all
the
> > time?
> >
> > RED in NC
> > "Dan Koren" <danken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:411fdd28$1@news.meer.net...
> > > "zxcvar" <arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu> wrote in message
> > > news:f0e5a6c.0408151254.45e3ad6b@posting.google.com...
> > > >
> > > > Greetings! What are the opinions of the
> > > > members of this NG about laptops made
> > > > by HP? With thanks.
> > >
> > >
> > > They stink.
> > >
> > > Will never buy one again.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > dk
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
August 21, 2004 4:54:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Smiling Wickedly, Quaoar answered:
> zxcvar wrote:
>
>>Greetings! What are the opinions of the members of this NG about
>>laptops made by HP? With thanks.
>
>
> Generally, except for their most capable laptops, both Compaq and HP are
> as reliable as any, better than some, but not exciting. Most have ho-hum
> sound, barely adequate video, just OK screens. That being said, they
> sell very competively and are good value for routine use. Support is,
> well, just a bit better than Sony and that's not saying much. But, get
> used to the concept of laptops as commodities since that's what HP is
> selling and the others can't be too far behind.
>
> Q
>
>
I have a HP Pav. zx 5040us

60g HD
512 megs of Ram
64 megs dedicated video Ram
etc..
etc..
Running XP Home.

I Love mine. I've had NO problems with it except for one. The inlet
where you plug in The AC adapter went bad. Called in to C/S. They were
helpful and courteous. Fed-ex stopped by the NEXT DAY and picked it up.
It was sent to thier service center in California.

I had it back in 4 days, FIXED.

Just my experience.

--
~\\|//~
-(o o)-
__________oOOOo--(_)--oOOOo__________
/ Michael Arends \
| To Contact me, remove NODAMNSPAM |
\_____________________________________/
!