HP laptops

Greetings! What are the opinions of the members of this NG about
laptops made by HP? With thanks.
10 answers Last reply
More about laptops

    "zxcvar" <arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu> wrote in message

    > Greetings! What are the opinions of the
    > members of this NG about laptops made
    > by HP? With thanks.

    They stink.

    Will never buy one again.

    dk

    I bought last January a Compaq(HP) Presario 2195. It came installed with Win
    XP and your typical needs:cd player/burner, wireless capability, usb ports,
    14" screen, and I must say for the price at Best Buy, $1199US with the $500
    rebate, I couldn't pass it up.

    I installed Office XP and my Linksys wireless, and I am very impressed that
    it has responded so well. Guess all the gainsayers can't be right all the
    time?

    RED in NC

    zxcvar wrote:
    > Greetings! What are the opinions of the members of this NG about
    > laptops made by HP? With thanks.

    Generally, except for their most capable laptops, both Compaq and HP are
    as reliable as any, better than some, but not exciting. Most have ho-hum
    sound, barely adequate video, just OK screens. That being said, they
    sell very competively and are good value for routine use. Support is,
    well, just a bit better than Sony and that's not saying much. But, get
    used to the concept of laptops as commodities since that's what HP is
    selling and the others can't be too far behind.

    Most of the time they all work right out of the
    box.

    But let's see what happens six months or one year
    down the road, or the first time when you need HP
    support.

    Also remember that for a product to stink, it does
    not mean that every single item is broken. It is
    sufficient for 3 out of 10 to break. The other 7
    owners might still be very happy.

    Keep your fingers crossed.

    dk

    "RED" <anglirich@lexcominc.net> wrote in message
    > I bought last January a Compaq(HP) Presario 2195. It came installed with
    Win
    > XP and your typical needs:cd player/burner, wireless capability, usb
    ports,
    > 14" screen, and I must say for the price at Best Buy, $1199US with the
    $500
    > rebate, I couldn't pass it up.
    >
    > I installed Office XP and my Linksys wireless, and I am very impressed
    that
    > it has responded so well. Guess all the gainsayers can't be right all the
    > time?
    >
    > RED in NC
    > "Dan Koren" <danken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > "zxcvar" <arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Greetings! What are the opinions of the
    > > > members of this NG about laptops made
    > > > by HP? With thanks.
    > >

    > > They stink.
    > >
    > > Will never buy one again.
    > >

    > > dk

    We ordered a HP zx5000 this weekend. I've heard great things about HP
    laptops. It seems the diehard notebook people only recommend IBM or
    Fujitsu. But, HP's are very good laptops. This will by our first
    laptop. I did ALOT of research before buying this model...

    These specs:
    - Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition
    - Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 3.00 GHz w/HT Technology
    - 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen(1280x800)
    - 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) 9600
    - 512MB DDR SDRAM (1x512MB)
    - 60 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
    - DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
    - 54g(TM) Integ. Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN & Bluetooth
    - Microsoft(R) Works/Money
    - 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    $1602 - $100 rebate - $25 coupon = $1577

    As for sound, the zx5000 is rated very high with their speaker system.

    Anyone else have a HP zx5000?

    SK

    Quaoar wrote:
    > zxcvar wrote:
    >
    >>Greetings! What are the opinions of the members of this NG about
    >>laptops made by HP? With thanks.
    >

    > Generally, except for their most capable laptops, both Compaq and HP are
    > as reliable as any, better than some, but not exciting. Most have ho-hum
    > sound, barely adequate video, just OK screens. That being said, they
    > sell very competively and are good value for routine use. Support is,
    > well, just a bit better than Sony and that's not saying much. But, get
    > used to the concept of laptops as commodities since that's what HP is
    > selling and the others can't be too far behind.

    zxcvar ha pensato forte :
    > Greetings! What are the opinions of the members of this NG about
    > laptops made by HP? With thanks.

    Great notebooks.

    Here in Italy, only HP/Compaq has an excellent after-sales support.
    All others (Toshiba, Asus, Acer)...are bad...

    --
    Frank, Naples, Italy
    Io uso MesNews: Sito: http://mesnews.no-ip.com

    Whatever makes you happy.

    Good luck with your new
    toy.

    dk

    "Steve & Sharon" <fishcube@butler-bremer.com> wrote in message
    > We ordered a HP zx5000 this weekend. I've heard great things about HP
    > laptops. It seems the diehard notebook people only recommend IBM or
    > Fujitsu. But, HP's are very good laptops. This will by our first
    > laptop. I did ALOT of research before buying this model...
    >
    > These specs:
    > - Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition
    > - Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 3.00 GHz w/HT Technology
    > - 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen(1280x800)
    > - 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) 9600
    > - 512MB DDR SDRAM (1x512MB)
    > - 60 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
    > - DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
    > - 54g(TM) Integ. Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN & Bluetooth
    > - Microsoft(R) Works/Money
    > - 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    > $1602 - $100 rebate - $25 coupon = $1577
    >
    > As for sound, the zx5000 is rated very high with their speaker system.
    >
    > Anyone else have a HP zx5000?
    >
    > SK
    >

    > Quaoar wrote:
    > > zxcvar wrote:
    > >
    > >>Greetings! What are the opinions of the members of this NG about
    > >>laptops made by HP? With thanks.
    > >

    > > Generally, except for their most capable laptops, both Compaq and HP are
    > > as reliable as any, better than some, but not exciting. Most have ho-hum
    > > sound, barely adequate video, just OK screens. That being said, they
    > > sell very competively and are good value for routine use. Support is,
    > > well, just a bit better than Sony and that's not saying much. But, get
    > > used to the concept of laptops as commodities since that's what HP is
    > > selling and the others can't be too far behind.

    In fact, I did have to test their CS dept. two weeks ago. On a Sat. morning
    at 6am est., my screen went black. Programs still running, barely visible,
    but for the most part, black.

    I contacted Compaq on my kids computer and told them in the e-mail what
    happened to my laptop.

    Within 1 hour on a Sat. morning I got a real live tech response. Seems my
    fan went out on me and they told me they will issue a FedEx pickup Tuesday
    at my address and repair at no charge.

    I bring my laptop to work and box it up, FedEx comes in and picks it up,
    ships from NC to California overnight, and by Thursday at 10 am I have my
    laptop back, fixed and working like it never missed a beat.

    To me, that was Customer Service at it's best in a 3-day span!

    RED in NC
    "Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Most of the time they all work right out of the
    > box.
    >
    > But let's see what happens six months or one year
    > down the road, or the first time when you need HP
    > support.
    >
    > Also remember that for a product to stink, it does
    > not mean that every single item is broken. It is
    > sufficient for 3 out of 10 to break. The other 7
    > owners might still be very happy.
    >
    > Keep your fingers crossed.
    >

    > dk
    >

    > "RED" <anglirich@lexcominc.net> wrote in message
    > > I bought last January a Compaq(HP) Presario 2195. It came installed with
    > Win
    > > XP and your typical needs:cd player/burner, wireless capability, usb
    > ports,
    > > 14" screen, and I must say for the price at Best Buy, $1199US with the
    > $500
    > > rebate, I couldn't pass it up.
    > >
    > > I installed Office XP and my Linksys wireless, and I am very impressed
    > that
    > > it has responded so well. Guess all the gainsayers can't be right all
    the
    > > time?
    > >
    > > RED in NC
    > > "Dan Koren" <danken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > "zxcvar" <arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu> wrote in message

    > > > They stink.
    > > >
    > > > Will never buy one again.
    > > >

    > > > dk

    Mine is six years old and is still as good as when i first got it. Ive
    upgraded the ram and yes the processor. Getting drivers can be frustrating
    but if you know what your looking for you'll find them.

    Bob

    "Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Most of the time they all work right out of the
    > box.
    >
    > But let's see what happens six months or one year
    > down the road, or the first time when you need HP
    > support.
    >
    > Also remember that for a product to stink, it does
    > not mean that every single item is broken. It is
    > sufficient for 3 out of 10 to break. The other 7
    > owners might still be very happy.
    >
    > Keep your fingers crossed.
    >

    > dk
    >

    > "RED" <anglirich@lexcominc.net> wrote in message
    > > I bought last January a Compaq(HP) Presario 2195. It came installed with
    > Win
    > > XP and your typical needs:cd player/burner, wireless capability, usb
    > ports,
    > > 14" screen, and I must say for the price at Best Buy, $1199US with the
    > $500
    > > rebate, I couldn't pass it up.
    > >
    > > I installed Office XP and my Linksys wireless, and I am very impressed
    > that
    > > it has responded so well. Guess all the gainsayers can't be right all
    the
    > > time?
    > >
    > > RED in NC
    > > "Dan Koren" <danken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > "zxcvar" <arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu> wrote in message

    > > > They stink.
    > > >
    > > > Will never buy one again.
    > > >

    > > > dk

    Smiling Wickedly, Quaoar answered:
    > zxcvar wrote:
    >
    >>Greetings! What are the opinions of the members of this NG about
    >>laptops made by HP? With thanks.
    >

    > Generally, except for their most capable laptops, both Compaq and HP are
    > as reliable as any, better than some, but not exciting. Most have ho-hum
    > sound, barely adequate video, just OK screens. That being said, they
    > sell very competively and are good value for routine use. Support is,
    > well, just a bit better than Sony and that's not saying much. But, get
    > used to the concept of laptops as commodities since that's what HP is
    > selling and the others can't be too far behind.

    I have a HP Pav. zx 5040us

    60g HD
    512 megs of Ram
    64 megs dedicated video Ram
    etc..
    etc..
    Running XP Home.

    I Love mine. I've had NO problems with it except for one. The inlet
    where you plug in The AC adapter went bad. Called in to C/S. They were
    helpful and courteous. Fed-ex stopped by the NEXT DAY and picked it up.
    It was sent to thier service center in California.

    I had it back in 4 days, FIXED.

    Just my experience.

    --
    ~\\|//~