Sign in with
Your question

Need Help Chosing what parts to upgrade first on my finished i7 920 PC

Last response: in Systems
February 14, 2010 4:14:45 AM

I recently finished my new system around 4 months ago, but the problem is now I'm wanting to upgrade it and I can't really decide what to replace first. So below I'm going to list the parts that my current build has so far.

CPU/Processor - Intel Core i7 920 (D0 Stepping)
MOBO - ASrock X58 Extreme 1366 Socket Type
GPU - HIS 4890 TURBO+
HD - WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb
PSU - Cooler Master Silient Pro RS 700W
CASE - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC Full Tower
RAM/Memory - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium

Then I have two ASUS DVD/CD-RW combo drives and since then I have also added a old 500Gb WD HD for extra storage for storing movies etc. on.

So even though I'm already fairly happy with the performance of my build I want to make it run noticeably faster I use it for playing games (sometimes) but mostly I just browse the internet and rip DVD's etc. So in all honesty I was thinking the only thing I would probably see big gains from would be buying some type of faster SSD or possibly just a better HD or something.

However I do plan on buying a better MOBO sometime in the next 6 months or so, because I always regretted going cheap on such a imporant part of the PC. Even though I honestly haven't had ANY problems with the ASrock MOBO I'm currently using. To be honest though the real reason I'm wanting to upgrade my system is because I recently put together two 1,000 USD systems for my work, and I used the Intel Core i5 750 CPU and ended up using ASrock PRO 1156 socket P55 boards and honestly they run just as good as my personal home system does, and it kinda pissed me off a little considering I spent about 500 USD more on my personal build. But oh well thats how technology works things advance... But oh well anyways anyone who is willing to give me suggestions on what I can do to make my personal build better please let me know.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2010 4:58:39 AM

I'm not an expert but I would say go for the ssd if your not into gaming. Just make sure you get one with TRIM feature. That way you won't develop the slower write/read speeds later.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2010 3:46:47 PM

I'd say GPU but now is a bad time....let fermi drop and see how the market settles out as ATI responds and new "non reference" designs hit the shelves.

Also new MoBos will be flying out as soon as Hexacore drops on march 16

Your PSU is in the same category as the Corsair TX/HX so I'd sit tight on that unless you doing XFire or SLI

Case is still top notch

A 500 GB per platter drive would be a plus. Use the Black for backup.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs
m
l
Related resources
!