Sign in with
Your question

Desperately need help, raid error

Last response: in Motherboards
September 24, 2010 4:17:12 PM

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to set a raid 0 with my new system with no success.

Window 7 64 bit
Intel i7 860
Gigabyte ga-p55a-ud3p
2 x WD Velociraptor 150GB

The step I took was from the bios set the raid with intel p55 sata controller to RAID XHD.
I followed the process to create Raid 0 etc. Installed window and some other programs.
The next day when I boot my computer it gives me an error in one of the disk.

I thought the HD was bad so I exchanged it. Before installing the window, I make sure the disk is fine with the data lifeguard diagnostic. The disk passes the test. I install the window again a few days ago and a few other stuff. I run the computer for 2 whole day with restarting occasionally and it gave me no problem. I moved the computer into another location today and when I boot it gave me the same freaking problem:

I make sure all the cables are connected fine but it still give me the same problem. It is not a problem with the disk because I pass the test.

Can someone help me please? It has been a week and I cant even solve the problem.

Thanks,
Dan
Edit/Delete Message

More about : desperately raid error

September 27, 2010 6:54:29 PM

I had the same message once but it was due to unplugged power cable. Check the power cable if it is connected ok. If it is try to change the power cable that come from your PSU with another one so to be sure that it isn't a PSU problem.
a c 715 V Motherboard
September 27, 2010 8:10:56 PM

^ Gigabytes are lousy with their implementation of on-board RAID controllers, I assume since this is a RAID 0 - that you were smart enough no to have anything more than {OS + Apps} installed. I assume that you know about striping {RAID 0 - 1/2 data = 0 data}.

That said, in any case I would delete the RAID and reformat and start from scratch. If the P55 controller is causing this then try the Marvell 9128 instead which supports RAID 0 & 1.

Otherwise, if you're keeping the MOBO then I'd recommend purchasing an Adaptec RAID Controller.
Related resources
October 4, 2010 1:16:29 AM

I changed to marvell and it seems to work.

Thanks
a c 107 V Motherboard
October 8, 2010 3:05:15 PM

It took me 4 tries before I got the right combination setting up raid 0 on an GA-880GA-UD3H AMD board. It's all about following the instructions to the letter in the manual. I used 2 of the new WD Caviar Black 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s. With a Phenom II X4 965 CPU and windows 7, that system seemed a lot faster and more responsive than my EX58 comp with an i7 940 cpu and Vista. Sure boots up and shuts down in a flash. I think a lot of the fast responsivness had to with windows 7 but I was sure impressed.

!