Dual Monitors on GeForce FX 5200

nar160

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
I have a GeForce FX 5200 video card. I want to hook up two I-Inc iF281D monitors (28" LCD, 1920x1200) to it. The monitors have VGA and HDMI inputs. Here's the problem:

- the GeForce FX 5200 only has DVI support up to 1600x1200 (confirmed on website and hooking up the monitor via DVI to HDMI cable).

The VGA output does 1920x1200 to one of the monitors fine. Here are my questions:

- If I purchase a DVI to VGA adapater and hook the second monitor's VGA input up to the video card's DVI output this way, will I be able to run 1920x1200 to this monitor? If not, I assume I'll need a different video card.

- For most of the adapters I see (for example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119041&cm_re=dvi_to_vga-_-12-119-041-_-Product) I can't tell if they are only for hooking up a DVI monitor to a VGA vid card output. Can I use the connector in reverse like I want to? Is that what "supports analog signals" means? Also, the resolution for that connector is said to be limited to 1600x1200. Is that just for the digital signal (hooking DVI monitor to VGA vid card), or is that also for using it the way I want to? If that connector won't work, can you suggest another option for me?

Thanks in advance.

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
That adapter you linked will go directly onto the graphic card's DVI output then you will use a vga cable to connect the adapter to the monitors vga input. It is a DVI to VGA (Male DVI to Female VGA) converter and cannot be used as a VGA to DVI converter (Male VGA to Female DVI).

Even if you use such a converter on your DVI output you will stil be limited to the 1600x1200 resolution. Seems like you will need a new card that has atlest two dual link DVIs or two VGAs.

"supports analog signals"
The VGA output carries an analog signal same with DVI-A. DVI-D carries a digital signal. DVI-I can carry either analog or digital, one at a time. (That adapter you linked has DVI-I input so its able to convert a digital signal to analog, DVI-D to VGA, analog to analog, DVI-A to VGA) Then there is single link and dual link DVI. This determins the max bandwith/resolution that can be transfered over the DVI cable. Single link (like your FX 5200) only supports up to a 1600x1200 resolution while dual link goes up to 2560x1600 (or more).