Sign in with
Your question

Bridging has me stumped!!

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 3, 2004 5:58:09 PM

Ok all you networking gurus, here's one that's left me stumped!!

I have the following network configuration:

In the living room : cable modem connected to a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router (192.168.1.5). Connected wirelessly to the WRT54GS is a laptop (192.168.1.102).

In the office: A Linksys BEFSR41 wired router (192.168.1.1) with a Linksys WET54G wireless bridge (192.168.1.103). Connected to the BEFSR41 via ethernet cable are a desktop (192.168.1.100) and a laptop (192.168.1.101).

My goal is to access the internet connection in the living room from the desktop and laptop in the office. I can access all configuration utilities of the various routers from the desktop, as well as ping all IP adresses from the deskto, so this tells me the WET54G and WRT54GS are successfully bridging. However, I cannot access the internet from the desktop. Any ideas?

Thanks for any information you can send my way!

Mark Rhodes

"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."

More about : bridging stumped

August 3, 2004 7:03:06 PM

If you can ping across the wireless bridge link then your done there. There is no configuration except for security. The bridge should have it's cat5 run to the switch, not the WAN port on that router that is hooked up to it. Also, DHCP should be turned off on that router. Your not using that device as a router anymore. the only thing your using on it is the switch. Once you do that you've added that switch to your existing LAN, albeit over a wireless bridge link back to the parent AP. Nothing really to configure after you disable DHCP on that second router. Accessing the internet only tells you that your browser's not working, for whatever reason. That is not a connectivity test. You'll have to provide more details for me to get anymore involved. Static or dynamic IP's, running Access Control Lists, machine OS's, can you ping anything from that machine, ping itself, the bridge, the parent AP and so on and so forth.
August 4, 2004 6:39:37 AM

Well, I got it working, but ran into a new problem, which I also fixed. Just following up for anyone who is reading this thread and wants to know what I did.

I tried a couple different things, including setting two different subnets (which completely broke the network, BTW. lost the ability to ping.) I changed various settings in the routers, and when those changes didn't work, set the routers back to their original configuration.

Eventually I changed the desktop IP to obtain an IP automatically and voila!! Internet connection worked. I then did the same with the laptop connected to the BEFSR41 and it also could access the internet. Double checked that I could access each computer from the other, also good.

However, I have an OfficeJet G85 multifunction running off an ethernet print server, also connected to the BEFSR41. This stopped functioning once the computers were set to obtain their IP automatically. Did a little reading at the HP site, installed IPX/SPX, and did an uninstall/reinstall of the printer, and it worked as well.

So, all in all, a successful day! Thanks everyone for your help, your insight, and your quick replies!! Your ideas got me thinking, which is usually what we all need anyway when troubleshooting. Thanks again!

Mark

"It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing milkbone underwear."
August 4, 2004 10:17:11 AM

IPX isn't necessary but if it solved your problem the so be it. You definitely want to turn DHCP off on the second router. Can't really make out if you've done that by your post. All clients on your LAN need to be getting their IP from the original router. Anyway, whatever gets you up but you only need IP and you do ultimately need to set it up right if it's not already or eventually you will have some connectivity issues, especially usind DHCP. If your second router is handing out IP's you'll have problems sooner or later. Ciao.
!