Intel motherboard D865glc restart problem

Cmorrow

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Hello,
My PC running Windows XP Pro starts beautifully. Problem comes when I try to restart the PC. Start up shows bios and shows F2 to go to SETUP at bottom of screen, but nothing happens belong that screen. F2 will not go into setup, and the computer is just frozen. I can power off and power up again, but restart does nothing.
Even when you hit F2 to go into setup from a cold start, the PC will freeze when I finish setup and hit F10 to save & restart.
Grateful for any help!

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Try and flash BIOS with latest revision. Also it would be a good idea to try and boot with minimum amount of components (HDDs, Gfx card) and peripherals (external USB HDDs etc) and watch behavior...

Cmorrow

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010

Yes, you got it. I can start the PC and it will boot into windows XP Pro perfectly, and runs great with NO overheating problems. My problem comes when I need to do a "restart." When I try to do a restart, it boots to the opening screen showing initial setup opinions, etc., but then it freezes on that screen and will not go any further!
It happens if I choose to go into setup from my initial start. After making changes in setup and hitting F10 to save and restart, the PC will freeze after displaying the first screen. I'm totally frustrated my this.
I have installed the latest bios for the motherboard, but nothing I've tried seems to help with this problem!

Cmorrow

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010

Thanks for the suggestion. I did open the case and found one case fan on the back panel not working; but, when I connected it, it started but did not have any effect on my restarting problem. Every other fans are operating normally, and I don't see any heating issues in the setup hardware section. This PC will run all day & night long with no problems as long as I do not try the restart it.

In order to restart this PC, I have to do a SHUT DOWN, and then power up again. It will not work any other way. I have 4 other computers that I built similar to this one, and none of them have this restart problem. The other PCs have ASUS(3) and Gigabyte(1) motherboards which made me think that this issue must be a motherboard problem somehow. All my PCs are Pentium 4 with Socket 478 CPUs with 2 hard drives and 2 CD/DVD drives running on Windows XP Pro. I'm totally stumped with this restart problem on this Intel D865GLC board PC.

Thanks for your help!!