Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My computer hates me and refuses to leave the blue screen & load the o/s sys

Last response: in Windows XP
October 4, 2012 8:11:02 AM

Hello,
My dell dimension desktop goes directly to blue screen c0000218 (registry file failure) the registry cannot load the hive, it is corrupt, absent, or not writable. Contact technical support or someone alot smarter than you you f******g idiot...(okay, maybe I'm paraphrsing a little towards the end...I've run diagnostics and the SATA Disk S/N read test failed with error code 0F00:0244 Msg block 111491201: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected...Can anyone help?
Donna

Best solution

October 4, 2012 5:29:24 PM

Doubt your pc hates you, just depending on the age you might just have bad hardware. If that is the case I would almost be certain that you will need to install a new sata hdd. Not a good test, but I always ran a live os cd to see if all the other hardware ran fine, and used the disk utility to make further tests on hdd.
October 4, 2012 6:30:25 PM

you might have to install a new OS on it. its happened to me multiple times that's what i do.
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2012 2:30:47 AM

mtxpeterson said:
Doubt your pc hates you, just depending on the age you might just have bad hardware. If that is the case I would almost be certain that you will need to install a new sata hdd. Not a good test, but I always ran a live os cd to see if all the other hardware ran fine, and used the disk utility to make further tests on hdd.

Okay...So...how would one go about installing a new sata hdd...and what exactly is it? When it comes to computers, I'm fine as long as I get the appropriate response when I press the buttons. But in all honesty, although I can sound like I know what I'm talking about at times, I am basically clueless when things go wrong. So...let me ask you this...what would you do next...what tests should I run...and how would I go about running these tests?
Also, I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide me a simplified explanation...with step by step instructions if at all possible.
Thanks
m
l
October 23, 2012 9:10:06 PM

Best answer selected by booboodee.
m
l
October 24, 2012 7:14:20 AM

booboodee said:
Okay...So...how would one go about installing a new sata hdd...and what exactly is it? When it comes to computers, I'm fine as long as I get the appropriate response when I press the buttons. But in all honesty, although I can sound like I know what I'm talking about at times, I am basically clueless when things go wrong. So...let me ask you this...what would you do next...what tests should I run...and how would I go about running these tests?
Also, I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide me a simplified explanation...with step by step instructions if at all possible.
Thanks

Sorry for the wait. The first thing I would do is backup all your important files or data, which is something I do often anyway since hardware tends to be unpredictable these days. You can use an external hdd, or a flashdrive depending on the size of the files. It seems you are already getting errors on your sata, but running chkdsk wouldn't hurt. I would take notes of the frequency of the errors, type of errors, load times for certain programs, and the noise the drive makes. Chances are very likely your drive is on its way out, since "Uncorrectable Data Error" is a serious indicator that your HDD is failing, or will fail soon.

Chances are you will need to do a fresh install of XP on your machine if you buy a new HDD. Try to find the XP install CD that came with your Dell, and the Driver CDs as well.

I would advise to look up a diagram for your desktop if you are unfamiliar with where your sata HDD is located in your pc. You may need a philps or flat head screw driver when changing out the hdd. When it comes to opening a case you may need a screw driver, but chances are there may just be a tab you pull and you slide the case side open.

When you do decide to up it up, make sure you and the computer are well grounded. If you are not aware of the ESD risk, you can always look up ESP safe procedures online. Never lay a pc on a carpet floor, or bed when working on them. The same applies to PC components, and always handle the HDD with care. Find a good table, or counter to work on. I would touch the metal case before putting your hands into the unit, and keep your arms touching the metals sides when fidgeting with components inside the case.

Next step would be to search locally or online for the sata hdd of the same size, or what you feel is appropriate for you. After you have received the new sata hdd, just switch out the old hdd and install the new one.

Insert your XP install CD and follow the instructions. If drivers are still a issue, use the service tag to find the correct drivers for your unit.
m
l
!