Can I Customize the Icons in Save As and/or Open Dialog Bo..

Hello.

I'm using XP Pro SP 2.

Is there any way to configure the SAVE AS and OPEN dialog boxes by
adding specific folders to the row of icons on the left?

The row of icons I'm referring to contain the following:

My Recent Documents
Desktop
My Documents
My Computer
My Network Places

Is there a way, for example, to remove My Network Places, and replace
it with an icon for a folder I created myself?

If this is possible, is there a freeware or shareware application that
can do this? If so, where can I obtain such a utility?
Thank you!

To reply via e-mail, please remove
the number 5 from the reply address.
Thank you! Jack Danniel

Jack,

Edit the Places bar locations in Open/Save As boxes:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/placesbar.htm

How to customize the Places Bar in Office 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=205041

Customize the My Places Bar in the "Open" and "Save As" Dialog Boxes: (Office XP)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282087

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Jack Danniel" <jd5jd@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:4u7co09prpspir8k47u6ticr86a32mm59e@4ax.com...
Hello.

I'm using XP Pro SP 2.

Is there any way to configure the SAVE AS and OPEN dialog boxes by
adding specific folders to the row of icons on the left?

The row of icons I'm referring to contain the following:

My Recent Documents
Desktop
My Documents
My Computer
My Network Places

Is there a way, for example, to remove My Network Places, and replace
it with an icon for a folder I created myself?

If this is possible, is there a freeware or shareware application that
can do this? If so, where can I obtain such a utility?
Thank you!

To reply via e-mail, please remove
the number 5 from the reply address.
Thank you! Jack Danniel

I need a bit of help with this:

Create a String value for it named Place0. Place0 is the top-most
folder as it appears on the Open/Save As dialog. Type the folder name
with it's full path as the value of Place0. You can create similar
keys and values upto Place4. Sample places bar registry key in my
system:
--
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg32\PlacesBar]
"Place0"="e:\\XP Fixes and Utils"
"Place1"="e:\\research"
"Place2"="e:\\Registry Patches Scripts"
"Place3"="e:\\Software and Utilities Set 2"
"Place4"="e:\\Software and Utilities Set 1"

Okay....all I need to know is where, and HOW, exactly, precisely, to
type the folder name with its complete path.

I can't figure that out, and I'm fairly familiar with regedit.

I downloaded and installed Tweak, but it doesn't permit custom-created
icons....it only uses certain stock ones.

Can you guide me through this, please, in simple steps? Thank you.

To reply via e-mail, please remove
the number 5 from the reply address.
Thank you! Jack Danniel

Jack,

You just need to replace the paths like "e:\\XP Fixes and Utils" to the exact location where your folder is present. If you want to Add My Music to that list, add the path as:

C:\\Documents and Settings\\Ramesh\\My Documents\\My Music (if you're using REG file), or type this if you're accessing the registry directly:

C:\Documents and Settings\Ramesh\My Documents\My Music

IMO, Tweak UI is easier if you're not familiar with the registry. What's the exact problem using Tweak UI?

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm

"Jack Danniel" <jd5jd@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:mdhco0lb4akhud2u5ev69s5uns4mvr9t3k@4ax.com...
[...]

Okay, I figured out how to use Tweak with this.
I'm set and ready to go.

However, I'm having problems with Office. I'm using Office 2003 with
SP2, and whenever I try to remove an icon, I get a dialog box saying
there is insufficient memory to perform the task. So, as of right
now, I am unable to customize the dialog boxes in Office.