Replacing my Hyper 212+

Asyrin

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
I love this fan. It's kept my cpu cool and runs silently.

That said, I'm upgrading my case to a Silvertek SG09 and while the Hyper 212+ DOES fit in this tiny Micro tower, I feel it obstructs the airflow from the top 180mm fan.

So, I'd like to look at something different.

Budget: $100ish
Preference: Relatively Low Profile. Silent.
Processor: Sandy i5-2500k
Overclocking: Not massive or crazy. I'll probably try to run it mid 40s multiplier.

This case CAN fit an H60 or H80. The 120mm fan on the rear of the SG09 is currently the primary exhaust and I can't imagine replacing it with an outward orientated H80 is going to impede the overall exhaust of the case.

One of the reasons that I want a lower profile is a shorter CPU cooling solution will allow the 180mm fan to blow directly on my EVGA GTX580 and across my Maximus V Gene.

And I don't know about your 580 but mine runs hot as hell without any overclocking.

Oh and it should be noted that this is a LAN computer that I travel with about every two weeks. While I'm careful with my rig, I need something that isn't going to fall apart or leak during transport.

Thank you, experts!

Asyrin

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
I love the performance on my 212+ so really, I'd settle for the same performance.

The only significant difference I could find between the 60 and the 80 is the second fan. I'm not sure that will even fit in my sg09.....so maybe the 60

Asyrin

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
I could turn it so it faces the rear exhaust, yes....but the giant contraption would still impede the airflow of the 180mm top fan down through the case to my gpu.

The sg09 is a very tight case.

The top fan on that case is an intake. the CPU cooler should be blowing out the back, not fighting the top fan.

The top fans not going to help the gpu. That's what the side intakes are for. A blower gpu is probably better in that case

hdeezie80

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Is there a particular reason that you are moving to a micro ATX case, it's really better suited for a media server. I would be a bit worried about the GTX 580 raising ambient temps as well, and also being a bit too big for the case. I think your best bet would be to keep your current cooler and spend the extra 100 on a good mid tower case, it makes cooling a lot easier. As for the H60 I bought one when I initially assembled my new rig in my opinion it is the sketchiest cooling solution out there, and a pain in the ass to install, I removed it after 3 day's since I was getting worse temps than with the stock cooler, go with a H80 if your going the water cooling route.

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah spin it around to exhaust out the top if you want to keep the flow. If you want more volume buy a 20. dollar cougar fan and snap it on the other side of the radiator of your Cooler Master. Thereby increasing the volume through out your case?

Asyrin

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011

A buddy of mine has the sg09. It's not your normal micro atx case. It can fit full size PSUs, full size CPU fans, and has a 180mm intake, 120mm exhaust, 120mm side intake and 3 80mm optional fans. It's even designed so the PSU has a dedicated vent right out the front. It fits gfx cards over 13" which is more than enough for my 580.

It's a puzzle to put together but done right, he keeps temps just as cool as my HAF 932 at a higher overclock.

And yes, I'm going miniatx because I'm tired of hauling around my giant HAF case :)

You should check it out. This case is insane.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=345&area=en

Asyrin

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011

Can't. The top 180mm is intake. The exhaust is the rear 120mm.

There's no doubt it's an impressive looking case but probably the last case on the planet I'd spend my money on, simply for it's internal design and being a positive pressure case.

If it's a space issue requiring all that gets crammed in such a small area then you have to do what you have to do, but from my own experiments a positive pressure case does not cool as good as a negative pressure case.

You have to have cool fresh air for any air cooling solution to be maximum effective, a positive pressure case always has a certain amount of above ambient heat trapped inside the case, I'm really surprised that Silverstone would actually release a case like that with overclocking temperatures today getting higher and higher.

But it obviously has a target audience, and if it allows a higher overclock than the HAF 932, then I would suggest the HAFs 932 fan setup was lacking, I don't mean that offensively, just that I know the HAF 932 is a good case, if the airflow path is properly setup.

It would be nice if case manufacturers would actually sit down with some overclockers and ask us how to build a case, ask us what we would like to see incorporated into a case, and get away from traditional case design and definitely not take the route of, lets see how much we can cram in this little box!

It made me have an old HP case flashback! :lol:

Anyway that's all water under the bridge, so good luck with your new case!

Ryan

TRENDING THREADS