I5 3570k - Weird voltages.

OptOPs

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Hello.

I recently upgraded my rig with an i5 3570k and an Asrock z77 extreme4 mobo.

I was looking around in CPU-Z and I noticed when I ran Prime95 the CPUVcore would run all the way up to 2.7 on stock settings.

I've adjusted some settings in the BIOS now and I had to put LLC to level 5 (Lowest possible voltage setting) and CPU Voltage Offset to -85(!) to reach 1.3Vcore.
I've OC'ed it up to 4.0 Ghz.

Everything looks stable now and I've been running Prime95 for a while now with max temps of 65C.

I'm just wondering if anyone had an possible explanation on why I would reach that high Vcore on default BIOS settings?

Also, which Vcore should I go for with an i5 3570K OC'ed to 4.0 Ghz?

OptOPs

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Well, if it's an voltage meter that is faulty, shouldn't I have crashed by now? I mean, if it was showing 2.7 and I had to do all kinds of settings to reach 1.3 wouldn't I be severly undervolted right now?

Btw, the CPU would idle at around 1.0 but would jump up to 2.7 vcore when under 100% load (stock auto-settings).

Could it be a corrupt mobo/cpu?

LOL my CPU with 1.28v is OCd to 4.6GHz. Stock is 1.1v and my CPU is also fully stable at 0.85v at stock speeds without turbo on. So no, thats not nearly undervolted. I would suggest anything higher than 1.4v anyway.

OptOPs

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
What I meant was that if I had a voltage meter showing more voltage than there actually was, I would have undervolted by lowering all those settings.

Anyways, I just reset my BIOS/UEFI to factory settings and everything seems normal now. Running 4.0 Ghz at around 1.165v, without having to do huge adjustments to keep voltage down.