Sabertooth RAID config

Muzzle_Flash

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Hello,
I want to install a RAID 10 array with 4x750Gb 3Gb Western Digital drives, a SATA CD/DVD writer, and a 2Tb Seagate 7200 6Gb rpm drive.

Sabertooth has plenty of ports, which should I use to get the best setup?

I've heard that if I pair the 2Tb drive with the CD writer on the 6Bb SATA ports that the Seagate would suffer lower transfer rates.

Can the SATA CD writer be installed one of the leftover 3Gb SATA ports with the RAID 10 array?

Purchased this stuff today, and getting ready to build something out of all of it!

Welcome Newcomer! :)

First, none of your HDD drives will not come close to touching the SATA2 300 Mb/s per device limit; instead they are ~ 1/2 the speed. 3Gb/s {SATA2} & 6Gb/s {SATA3} ONLY refers to the HDD controller type. Currently, only a very few SSD break the SATA2 300 Mb/s {e.g. Crucial C300 SSD 128GB+}

I am assuming that you have the SABERTOOTH X58 - http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=AM2RChl84MZrKh6J

Regarding the RAID 10, refer to page 104 {4-4} of your Manual; I could copy/paste but it seems redundant to do so.

Connect you X4 RAID HDDs to SATA1-SATA4, and the Seagate to SATA5 and DVD SATA6. In addition, make certain to update to at least BIOS version Sabertooth X58 0402 BIOS or {0505}.

A foreseeable a possible problem, most consumer WD HDD lack TLER which is best for RAID, and in RAID 10 with 4X750 GB -> 1.5TB. Good RAID info link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID Video - http://www.youtube.com/user/NCIXcom#p/u/0/TuwjadbtUCY

Good Luck on your build!

Muzzle_Flash

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Thank you very much for your helpful reply.

I didn't realize the unused ports, 5 & 6 could be occupied AND still have a RAID 10 array on 1-4. This is very good news indeed.

I'm hoping that Sabertooth X58 works as good as it looks, and I'm petty sure it will.

I almost went with a pair of SSD for the OS but decided I would wait for them to get larger and cheaper before going that route.

More than once my RAID 10 array, on my core 2 quad has saved my bacon! The redundancy is well worth the extra expense. I'm starting to get pieces and parts shipping notices so the big build is coming soon.

Once again, thanks much for your help!

Muzzle_Flash

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010

I just re-read the section of the manual suggested. It says once the SATA ports are configured for RAID in the BIOS, ALL of them will be set to RAID mode. This is the same problem I ran into with my P5W DH board. The unused ports were not useable for another drive in normal SATA mode. I think I'm going to have the same problem with the new board if what I am reading means what I think it does.

I hope YOU are correct and the unused ports default to standard SATA but at this point, well, I guess I will soon find out.

I suppose I can use the 6Gb ports set to standard SATA for the data drive and the cd writer. Plus I can use the eSATA external for redundant backup. This promises to be another fun project...kids are going to inherit my hand-me-down rigs AGAIN. :)

Has anyone here actually installed such a combo?

The ports will be set to RAID/AHCI. They are not a RAID member until they are "paired" or configured via Ctrl-I. So if it is a problem for other drives being in AHCI then you've got a problem.
In my particular case:
ICH10R Controller
SATA_1 - SSD /AHCI/ non-member pair
SATA_2 - {blank/possible future SSD in RAID 0}
SATA_3 - HDD1 /RAID/ member pair/RAID 1 mirror
SATA_4 - HDD2 /RAID/ member pair/RAID 1 mirror

If you have a problem: 1. the MOBO is not the ideal place to run a RAID. RAID {0, 1, & 10} which require no calculations for stripe or mirror are about the max. 2. Mis-configured RAID.

I would recomend running off the Intel ICH10R Controller for RAID, more reliable and has very mature drivers and support.

I have the P6X58D-E after a horrible experience with GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2); it is not always the configuration, but sometimes the MOBO itself. In my office I own everything from pseudo workstations, to high-end Xeon WS, Dell enterprise rack servers, etc - ALL with various RAID. So "ideally" a Dedicated RAID Controller w/battery back-up & large cache is the best way {$600+} or use the less efficient MOBO on-board. The choice is yours.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276715-30-x58a-ud3r-raid-bsod-disk-boot-failure

Muzzle_Flash

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
We are indeed fortunate to have you here to share your experience. I'm going to do as you suggest and I will let you know how it goes. Should have the parts here by Thursday. All I need do now is think of an excuse to let the wife know why all the boxes showed up on our doorstep. This is definately going to be way overkill for playing Battlefield. :lol:

Muzzle_Flash

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
I don't know how to thank you enough. Anybody reading this thread, this fellow, jaquith, obviously knows his stuff!

Following his helpful advice I just installed an additional SATA drive in my ASUS P5W DH which already had a RAID 0 array on two of the 4 SATA ports off the ICH7R controller. It worked flawlessly and now I have my entire 250Gb music collection back on my Core 2 Dual PC. I am one very happy camper folks, thanks again and thanks to Tomshardware.com for providing this forum.

Can hardly wait until the Sabertooth X58 gets here! As they say down under, no worries mate.