Bad Hard Drive?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 16, 2004 4:40:05 AM

The 4 GB Hard Drive in my Dell 3700 may be hosed. I am running Win 98
SE, and when the machine wouldn't complete the boot into Windows, I ran
the emergency floppie, and ran Chkdsk and it sees the drive OK and
lists it's attributes. Then I tried to run Scandisk, and it can't see
the drive. I think there was a message in there somwhere about it not
being able to see a "recognizable file system." Uh-Oh! :-)

Is there any hope for the disk? Is there some other disk utility I
might use. I remember Maximum PC talking about a disk utility that was
better than Norton's Disk Doctor.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

ken
--
(To reply via email, please remove "ECM" - thanks)

More about : bad hard drive

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 16, 2004 9:30:17 AM

Ken Spencer wrote:
> The 4 GB Hard Drive in my Dell 3700 may be hosed. I am running Win 98
> SE, and when the machine wouldn't complete the boot into Windows, I ran
> the emergency floppie, and ran Chkdsk and it sees the drive OK and lists
> it's attributes. Then I tried to run Scandisk, and it can't see the
> drive. I think there was a message in there somwhere about it not being
> able to see a "recognizable file system." Uh-Oh! :-)
>
> Is there any hope for the disk? Is there some other disk utility I might
> use. I remember Maximum PC talking about a disk utility that was better
> than Norton's Disk Doctor.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> ken
Assuming you have a back-up of your important data, I would first boot
from a Win98 Startup diskette and check the disk checks again. If you
still run into the same problem, run Fdisk and see what you get in terms
of information with regards to your partition. Depending on the results,
you might want to reformat your disk and then run a surface check. In
doubt, post again, we will try to help you make the right decision.

--
John Doue
Anonymous

"Ken Spencer" <kspenceECM@i-2000.com> wrote in message
> The 4 GB Hard Drive in my Dell 3700 may be hosed. I am running Win 98
> SE, and when the machine wouldn't complete the boot into Windows, I ran
> the emergency floppie, and ran Chkdsk and it sees the drive OK and
> lists it's attributes. Then I tried to run Scandisk, and it can't see
> the drive. I think there was a message in there somwhere about it not
> being able to see a "recognizable file system." Uh-Oh! :-)
>
> Is there any hope for the disk? Is there some other disk utility I
> might use. I remember Maximum PC talking about a disk utility that was
> better than Norton's Disk Doctor.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> ken
> --
> (To reply via email, please remove "ECM" - thanks)

Big budget - Winternals. I use it at work regularly
http://www.winternals.com

home budget - Knoppix - I use this at home with good success -
http://www.knoppix.com/ - it's a Linux bootable CD that will see
questionable hard drives - including corrupt partition tables on a drive
that I tried. It's big though - you would download a 700MB ISO image then
create the CD.

YMMV
a b D Laptop
August 16, 2004 1:00:35 PM

"Ken Spencer" typed:
> The 4 GB Hard Drive in my Dell 3700 may be hosed. I am running Win 98
> SE, and when the machine wouldn't complete the boot into Windows, I ran
> the emergency floppie, and ran Chkdsk and it sees the drive OK and
> lists it's attributes. Then I tried to run Scandisk, and it can't see
> the drive. I think there was a message in there somwhere about it not
> being able to see a "recognizable file system." Uh-Oh! :-)
>
> Is there any hope for the disk? Is there some other disk utility I
> might use. I remember Maximum PC talking about a disk utility that was
> better than Norton's Disk Doctor.

I'd boot from a Knoppix Live CD and run `badblocks' against my
hard-disk.

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan
-bash: .sig: No such file or directory

On 2004-08-16 01:30:17 -0400, John Doue <notwobe@yahoo.com> said:

> Ken Spencer wrote:
>> The 4 GB Hard Drive in my Dell 3700 may be hosed.

>> Assuming you have a back-up of your important data, I would first boot
>> from a Win98 Startup diskette and check the disk checks again. If you
>> still run into the same problem, run Fdisk and see what you get in
>> terms of information with regards to your partition. Depending on the
>> results, you might want to reformat your disk and then run a surface
>> check. In doubt, post again, we will try to help you make the right
>> decision.

I bought an adapter to connect a laptop HD to the IDE cable in my
desktop. Ran Norton's Disk Doctor on it, and it told me that the info
in the SMART utility indicates a failing HD.

I should just probably forget the whole thing, right?

Is the SMART info about mechanical problems with the drive? I think
one of the apps that I ran on it said something about a lot of bad
blocks? (Or sectors? Duh!)

I mean, it might be fun to reformat the drive, just fot the heck of it.
No important info on that machine, fortunately.

thanks a lot.

ken

--
(To reply via email, please remove "ECM" - thanks)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 21, 2004 8:49:02 AM

If smart says it's bad, then it's either dead or going to be dying very
soon. Use whatever functionality exists to recover any data that you
need and trash it. When SMART starts reporting errors, things are going
to hell in a handbasket internally, within the drive, even though you
may get SMART errors somewhat before any errors are externally evident
through the operating system.

!