CrossOver help...

Alz0r

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Hi All,

I've got PC running XP with no wireless card, and a laptop running Vista with a built in wireless card ("Acer Nplify 802.11b/g/Draft-N-WLAN).

I work in hotels alot, and sometimes need to use my PC on the internet (alright I'll just admit it, I want to be able to play online games on my PC in hotel rooms). I bought a CrossOver cable and attempted to "share" my wireless connection at home as a test. But I get the error message "unable to share ICS connection" when I attempt to share. I've made sure all the correct services are set to Automatic and I still get the error message.

I understand it may be an IP conflict with the router, but assuming I have no access to the router (which I won't if I'm trying to connect in a hotel) - is there a workaround for getting me connected or am I just doing something wrong?

Ta!

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Without getting into trouble shooting ICS just yet, I would ask why you would need a crossover cable in a hotel room. Most hotels have wireless service (no cable needed) or hard wired RJ45 Jacks in the room, in which case you would use a normal Cat5e or Cat6 cable (not a crossover).

Maybe I just need more of an understanding of what you are trying to do.

Cheers!

Which is what wold happen automatically when the OP runs the network Setup Wizard in XP and ticks to share the laptop's Internet Connection. I can't believe he's going to lug a PC into a hotel room! :D [/#000ff]

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I don't think that he is going to use the PC in the hotel room. That is why I suspect the OP doesn't need the crossover cable for the intended purpose! I could be wrong though! <grin>

Alz0r

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
OK let me explain futher!

On weekends I'm on call as a plumber, sometimes I'm busy, sometimes I'm sat in my hotel room for 2 days bored stupid! Hence I want to use my PC in hotel rooms!

But like I said, the PC has no wireless card. There is no RJ45 sockets in the room (it's more of a 4 star guest house!).

I haven't got any firewalls installed on either system (just AV). I'm not sure if the windows firewall is on, I will check it out.

I also tried using the Network Wizard in XP but didn't have any joy - is it essential to burn a CD with the network settings at the end? I left that bit out :eek:

TRENDING THREADS