CrossOver help...

Hi All,

I've got PC running XP with no wireless card, and a laptop running Vista with a built in wireless card ("Acer Nplify 802.11b/g/Draft-N-WLAN).

I work in hotels alot, and sometimes need to use my PC on the internet (alright I'll just admit it, I want to be able to play online games on my PC in hotel rooms). I bought a CrossOver cable and attempted to "share" my wireless connection at home as a test. But I get the error message "unable to share ICS connection" when I attempt to share. I've made sure all the correct services are set to Automatic and I still get the error message.

I understand it may be an IP conflict with the router, but assuming I have no access to the router (which I won't if I'm trying to connect in a hotel) - is there a workaround for getting me connected or am I just doing something wrong?

Ta!
5 answers Last reply
More about crossover help
  1. Without getting into trouble shooting ICS just yet, I would ask why you would need a crossover cable in a hotel room. Most hotels have wireless service (no cable needed) or hard wired RJ45 Jacks in the room, in which case you would use a normal Cat5e or Cat6 cable (not a crossover).

Maybe I just need more of an understanding of what you are trying to do.

Cheers!
  2. Turn off firewalls.
  3. [#0005ff]Which is what wold happen automatically when the OP runs the network Setup Wizard in XP and ticks to share the laptop's Internet Connection. I can't believe he's going to lug a PC into a hotel room! :D [/#000ff]
  4. I don't think that he is going to use the PC in the hotel room. That is why I suspect the OP doesn't need the crossover cable for the intended purpose! I could be wrong though! <grin>
  5. OK let me explain futher!

On weekends I'm on call as a plumber, sometimes I'm busy, sometimes I'm sat in my hotel room for 2 days bored stupid! Hence I want to use my PC in hotel rooms!

But like I said, the PC has no wireless card. There is no RJ45 sockets in the room (it's more of a 4 star guest house!).

I haven't got any firewalls installed on either system (just AV). I'm not sure if the windows firewall is on, I will check it out.

I also tried using the Network Wizard in XP but didn't have any joy - is it essential to burn a CD with the network settings at the end? I left that bit out :o
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Wireless Networking