Sign in with
Your question

any phenom x6 benchmark, does it worth it?

Last response: in CPUs
April 22, 2010 5:10:52 PM

Hello,
is there any one use phenom x6 any benchmark, worth it from b55 quad @ 3,3 gz?, tq

More about : phenom benchmark worth

a b à CPUs
April 22, 2010 5:44:54 PM

there are no official benches yet, just some vague tests from different sources, but ur B55 quad is quite a good performer, the 1090t version should give ur b55 quad quite a spanking though
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2010 6:37:07 PM

If you main use is gaming you'll likely see zero performance increase from your current CPU.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2010 6:52:02 PM

They're going to be officially released on Money (26th) so you'll see some benchmarks then. Honestly, theres no reason to upgrade unless you do alot of photo editing or video encoding or heavily threaded apps like that.
m
l
April 22, 2010 7:03:07 PM

hmm i get get one here @ 210 and someone is offering me 110 for my b55, anysuggestion he2
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2010 7:41:23 PM

idk, its a good cpu and you already have it unlocked to a quad, $110 sounds reasonable, but you have a perfectly working quad, why sell? unless ur like me and just want to see 6 graphs in taskman...
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2010 7:42:27 PM

What do you mainly use your pc for?
m
l
April 22, 2010 8:50:07 PM

Raidur said:
If you main use is gaming you'll likely see zero performance increase from your current CPU.

Nah.. You'll see some increase from the newer games like Bad Company 2 probably. Now, how much the increase is worth is another topic.
m
l
April 23, 2010 1:08:41 AM

ocing above 3,3 makes strange behavior (phsyx related) in games, wondering if 1055 is ocable?
its for my gaming pc
1055 got bigger chace dont they?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 1:17:59 AM

The 1055 should overclock similarly, possibly a little better because of the new stepping. The 1055 has 1mb more of cache because each core has 512kb and 2 extra cores means 1mb more of cache. I wouldnt expect much of an improvement in games over your current CPU, except for highly threaded games which are few and far between.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 1:18:46 AM

it has the same 6mb of L3, the xtra cache comes from the 128kb L1 and the 512kb L2 on the 2 added cores, just get a 960t if its gaming only, thatll b stock clocked at something like 3.3ghz...
m
l
April 23, 2010 5:32:10 PM

Will BOINC World Community Grid use the six cores ie. six applications at the same time?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2010 5:38:47 PM

getting the new or retaining the old depends on what u are(and will be) doing... games + average home use - keep ur processor
games + video encoding, photo editing, other multi threaded apps - 1055t
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
April 24, 2010 8:44:19 PM

In all honesty, if you have a quad core Phenom II right now it would be a waste of money at the current time to buy a Phenom II X6.

Unless you make a living off of video/audio editing where it will save you some time, its not worth it.

Even then, we need benchmarks to show its actual performance in commonly used apps to see if it is worth it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2010 9:58:36 PM

Quote:

In all honesty, if you have a quad core Phenom II right now it would be a waste of money at the current time to buy a Phenom II X6.

Unless you make a living off of video/audio editing where it will save you some time, its not worth it.

Even then, we need benchmarks to show its actual performance in commonly used apps to see if it is worth it..

This is a common and extremely short sighted view. Even if it doesn't make individual applications run faster, you dont run just one app at a time in real life. You mulitask, you have antivirus and other memory resident programs using memory and clock cycles. In other words, most people create their own multithreaded environments.

And that doesn't even consider future use of the extra cores.

In real world non-gaming use, More cores is almost always a much better option.
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
April 24, 2010 11:09:39 PM

FALC0N said:
Quote:

Even then, we need benchmarks to show its actual performance in commonly used apps to see if it is worth it..

This is a common and extremely short sighted view. Even if it doesn't make individual applications run faster, you dont run just one app at a time in real life. You mulitask, you have antivirus and other memory resident programs using memory and clock cycles. In other words, most people create their own multithreaded environments.

And that doesn't even consider future use of the extra cores.

In real world non-gaming use, More cores is almost always a much better option.

In a true multitasking enviroment that can use the cores, sure. But a quad core, even a Q6600 at this time is fine for even power users like myself.

Back when I got my Q6600 I would run TF2, WMP, encode a video and browse the web all at once and it would barley hit 50% overall usage and never hiccup.

If someone bought a new quad core in the past 2 years, why would you buy a 6 core with the promise of software barley catching up to a quad core in the next 1-2 years? SSoftware is way behind.

But by your logic, someone with a LGA1366 mobo should spend more than needed to buy a Core i7 980X because in the future, probably 2+ years from now, it will be more utilized by that gen software.

My thoughts are this: If a person ahs a Core 2 Quad, Core i5/i7 or Phenom II, there is no reason to upgrade to a 6 core. Possibly in 2011 or beyond when they become the more common CPU and quad become low to mid end. If you don't agree, thats fine. Not everyone does.

Now if it was a new build, then sure. Go for it. But there is no reason to pay another $200 bucks for a new CPU if yours is barley being pushed at all.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2010 12:03:06 AM

jimmysmitty said:

..............Back when I got my Q6600 I would run TF2, WMP, encode a video and browse the web all at once and it would barley hit 50% overall usage and never hiccup..............

But by your logic, someone with a LGA1366 mobo should spend more than needed to buy a Core i7 980X because in the future, probably 2+ years from now, it will be more utilized by that gen software...............................................

Now if it was a new build, then sure. Go for it. But there is no reason to pay another $200 bucks for a new CPU if yours is barley being pushed at all.

My point was slightly different. I meant cores over CPU speed, all things being equal for all non-gaming use.

For example If a X4 965 at 3.4 vs a X6 at 2.8 at the same or similar price, most gamers always say go with fewer cores and faster clock. But MOST people are not hard core gamers and benifit more in the long run from the 6 core option. You also hear, "todays apps dont use x many cores". But the end user might not upgrade very often. 5 to 10 year upgrades is not uncommon with many people.

Your quad core experience is a good example. Your q6600 is a much better system today than an equally priced dual core of the time would be for anything but gaming. Yet at the time, the same "apps dont use that many cores" argument could have been applied.

I'm just saying that I don't think we are always as in tune with the OP's vision of their system as we should be. And that sometimes leads to, not bad advice, but misguided advice.
m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
April 25, 2010 12:05:44 AM

^the difference is that I am a person who builds for the future. I had a 7 yeard old P4 system at the time so I built something to last me near 5 years.

Most people who build systems do it every 1-2 years. And I didn't buy a dual core because at the time it was the same price as the quad I wanted. Most people who bought dual cores back in 2006 haven't really upgraded until recently to a quad.

As I sia,d if you bought a quad recently a 6 core is useless. If you are building new, then sure its worth it for the price.
m
l
April 25, 2010 2:33:19 AM

anyway ive got it installed and games are more silky smooth, no bit slowdown @ heavy phsyx compared to quad, havent oc it yet, stepping 0, anyone suggest smaller bechmark softaware which scale well with gaming?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2010 3:39:30 AM

You already have an X6?
m
l
April 25, 2010 4:20:29 AM

I saw the X6 on amazon
m
l
April 25, 2010 5:17:12 AM