Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What should I do with my Octigen PSU? (can be fixed?)

Last response: in Components
Share
April 22, 2010 5:36:07 PM

So my computer died out sometime ago, and not powering up I had initially thought that the motherboard was fried, so I replaced that today, but still no power, so it appears my Octigen 400w PSU is the problem, I tried the paperclip trick to test the fans but nothing, when I press the power button on the case I can see the fan will make a slight twitch but if I press again it wouldn't do anything, so it would only randomly make that twitch, is there any way i can repair my PSU or will I just have to replace it? many thanks.

More about : octigen psu fixed

a c 286 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2010 8:20:12 PM

Replace it, if it died it wasnt a high quality unit to start with, and since its only 400W and not a brand i have ever heard of before you definitely dont want to waste time trying to repair it.

Get a good 500-550W unit this time around, something with a 5-7 year warranty and 80+ certification is what you should be looking for these days. Seasonic put out a nice, reasonably priced unit a couple weeks ago.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
April 22, 2010 8:58:46 PM

+1 and that's a sweet deal on that PSU he quoted.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
April 23, 2010 2:21:13 AM

hunter315 said:
Replace it, if it died it wasnt a high quality unit to start with, and since its only 400W and not a brand i have ever heard of before you definitely dont want to waste time trying to repair it.

Get a good 500-550W unit this time around, something with a 5-7 year warranty and 80+ certification is what you should be looking for these days. Seasonic put out a nice, reasonably priced unit a couple weeks ago.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

great psu choice!!!
April 23, 2010 2:50:58 AM

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 Modular Active PFC Power Supply found on newegg.com for about $56 after MIR. Very practical and a great investment for your system.
a b ) Power supply
April 23, 2010 2:59:55 AM

janxta said:
Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 Modular Active PFC Power Supply found on newegg.com for about $56 after MIR. Very practical and a great investment for your system.

also good. however, it seems that people dont like it too much cuz when i recommmended it to seomone and then my recommmendation was marked as best answer, and then people said it wasntas good as i thought it was. still, i do recommend it
a c 286 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 3:20:27 AM

The basiqs are decent, they arent great but they sure arent raidmax either, they just arent the really high quality units that most of us usually recommend but they also dont cost nearly as much, so its a balance but most of us would rather stray closer to the more expensive safer side of the balance.
a b ) Power supply
April 23, 2010 3:23:47 AM

@hunter: yeah thats pretty much what it firgured. thanks for the clarification!
a b ) Power supply
April 23, 2010 3:24:48 AM

ps msi's digicell software is stupid! it says in the manual for my k8n0neo2 platinum s939 mobo that it took them lots of research and effort to make, well msi i hate it so much u were wasting ur retarded timE!!!
April 23, 2010 3:26:20 AM

Let's clarify the Antec BP550 PSU usage and recommendation. This power supply is good for a basic every day usage type of computer. It is not recommended for a quad core cpu that's being overclocked with a high end graphics card that's also overclocked. A large group of people like to recommend a power supply because it is popular, but popular isn't always the most frugal. Money means a lot to folks right now and let's keep it real when trying to recommend something for someone who may be on a budget.
a c 144 ) Power supply
a c 156 V Motherboard
April 23, 2010 3:24:47 PM

hunter315 said:
The basiqs are decent, they arent great but they sure arent raidmax either, they just arent the really high quality units that most of us usually recommend but they also dont cost nearly as much, so its a balance but most of us would rather stray closer to the more expensive safer side of the balance.

The 500 watt Basiq seems to be a new design.
Antec 500 watt BASIQ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/792

However, I'd use a Corsair 550VX (41 amp 12 volt rail):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/505
!