Solved

Running XP in AHCI mode

Greetings. I just built a new system and I am currently running it with my old HD containing XP. I am getting ready to install Win 7 64 bit on a new SSD and switch the bios over to AHCI mode. I am aware that this will cause issues with XP as it likes to play in IDE mode. is their a way I can still boot to XP if I need to? the motherboard I have is equipped with (6) SATA III ports and (2) SATA II ports. would plugging the XP drive into the SATA II ports have any effect or would AHCI effect all ports? my other thought is to throw the XP drive into an external case and plug it into a USB 3.0 port. would I be able to boot from the XP drive that way?

any help would be appreciated,

Don
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about running ahci mode
  1. If the motherboard has two SATA controllers, then you should be able to set them independently. I'd put the SSD on the SATA3 ports in AHCI mode and the sata 2 ports in IDE/legacy mode.

If you have the winXP drive installed when you install win 7, it should detect XP and create a dual boot option.
  2. Quote:
    If the motherboard has two SATA controllers, then you should be able to set them independently. I'd put the SSD on the SATA3 ports in AHCI mode and the sata 2 ports in IDE/legacy mode.

If you have the winXP drive installed when you install win 7, it should detect XP and create a dual boot option.

That was my thought exactly: to run the XP drive off the SATA II port because putting a Hard disk on a 6g/s connection would be rather pointless.

I will have to check the bios to see if they list separate operating modes for the SATA II and SATA III ports. thanks for the advice.

and thanks for the tip on keeping the XP drive installed. I was going to have only the SSD installed when I loaded 7 just to make sure there was no conflicts. but I could leave the XP drive in and just pay extra attention.

Thanks again.

Don
  3. Best answer
    I don't like boot loaders dual booting. It makes it harder to remove an OS later.

If your main bios boot screen offers a boot selection, like F12 - Boot device, then you may want to leave the hard drive (all drives) disconnected while installing onto the SSD. You can then attach the hard drive later. Instead of getting a dual boot menu like the other scenario, just use the hotkey (F12) to select the boot drive at startup. Later if you need to get rid of XP, you won't have to hassle with trying to edit the boot loader which is what you would need to do in the other scenario (installing win 7 with the XP drive installed).
  4. Quote:
    If your main bios boot screen offers a boot selection, like F12 - Boot device, then you may want to leave the hard drive (all drives) disconnected while installing onto the SSD. You can then attach the hard drive later. Instead of getting a dual boot menu like the other scenario, just use the hotkey (F12) to select the boot drive at startup. Later if you need to get rid of XP, you won't have to hassle with trying to edit the boot loader which is what you would need to do in the other scenario (installing win 7 with the XP drive installed).

Very true. I haven't installed the SSD yet, I was busy last night adding some more RAM and a media card reader and doing some wire maintenance to improve the airflow. after reading your comment I think I might just go that route leave the drives disconnected when I install Win 7. considering that I will be booting to Win 7 90% of the time it makes more sense to leave everything separate and less complicated. I am considering throwing in a drive with Ubuntu as well.

anyway thanks for all the good advice from both of you, I appreciate your feedback.

Don
  5. DHFF said:
    anyway thanks for all the good advice from both of you, I appreciate your feedback.

Don

Hrmmm... I didn't know I had a split personality, lol! You're welcome.
  6. LOL sorry, that should have read " From both posts" but if you DO have a split personality....would you really know? what if the other you was sneaky and didnt tell you he existed? hmmm?

Don
  7. Best answer selected by DHFF.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration SATA Windows XP