Sign in with
Your question

temporary cheap rig Athlon II X4 620 vs. Q8300

Last response: in CPUs
April 22, 2010 6:04:24 PM

my laptop just fried and i need to quickly put together a computer to get me by for a few months to save it cash, then I'll build a rig better suited to my needs.

Multitask alot, run lots of programs at the same time, can't emphasize that enough. Rendering video, Adobe after effects, video encoding, watching video, music. No gaming at all.

I'm not as concerned with finding parts that will carry over to my future rig as i am with keeping price as low as possible.

I'll be looking at overclocking if it's advantageous.

Which of the 2 processors would fit my basic needs. what's a motherboard for the x4 620/630 and the Q8300.

With a processor and motherboard I'll research the threads here and build out the rest of this basic rig.

Looking at bare bones, 4gb ram, 500gb hard drive, dual monitor system.

Not exciting, but it's all i can do for now. In a few months I'll be building a video editing/rendering rig with little to no limits on price, based more on performance and future upgrade ability

thanks for all your help
a c 133 à CPUs
April 22, 2010 6:29:16 PM

The Q8300 would be faster like raidur said you will not be able to upgrade to any new processors. Your best bet would be to get a decent AM3 motherboard about$100 and get an Athlon II x4 630 $100 it will be cheaper this way and also leave you an option for future upgrade this way you will be able to use the motherboard and just upgrade the processor. To save even more money you could get the Athlon II x3 435 $75 this will give you plenty of multitasking power and also has a chance to unlock the 4th core and L3 turning it into a Phenom. Both Athlons should be able to be overclocked to at least 3.4ghz making them perfect for a starter rig.
m
l
Related resources
a c 114 à CPUs
April 22, 2010 7:28:36 PM

Sorry ...

but there is no L3 cache to unlock on the Athlon II 435 Rana.

I'd go cheap on the CPU (like a 240 regor) and buy a nice AM3 motherboard which is Thuban qualified as a first priority, but ....

Anyway, here is a Propus 620 Quad/Asus M4A77TD 770 AM3 combo for $173.
m
l
a c 77 à CPUs
April 22, 2010 7:30:00 PM

I would also suggest the AMD route. Nobody should even be considering an out-of-date LGA 775 chip for a new system IMO. DDR2 and LGA 775 have been dead for a while. The AM3 route will give you a current CPU socket and DDR3 RAM.
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
April 22, 2010 7:47:33 PM

Wisecracker said:
Sorry ...

Well thats not entirely true some of the older Athlon x3's are Denab dies with the L3 and a core disabled. I forgot that they started using Propus Dies but I do think some people do get lucky and get the Athlon II that is a disable Phenom Denab.
m
l
April 22, 2010 8:51:21 PM

1st, I'm not clear about your specs. You say you want a system to "get you by" for a few months but then in the same breath you want it to run dual monitors and "Multitask alot, run lots of programs at the same time, can't emphasize that enough. Rendering video, Adobe after effects, video encoding, watching video, music." If you want it to do all that why don't you just build the system you want in the first place?

Now if you've got a Microcenter nearby and all you really want right now is something to check email and surf a few forums till you are ready for a new build why don't you snag one of their sub-$300 refurb units to tide you over? Then you could demote that to a file/print server after the Monster build is done.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2010 8:56:27 PM

With a Microcenter near by you may want to consider intel (i3/i5). Check out their prices on intel CPUs. :) 
m
l
April 22, 2010 8:57:02 PM

Wisecracker said:
Sorry ...

I'd go cheap on the CPU (like a 240 regor) and buy a nice AM3 motherboard which is Thuban qualified as a first priority, but ....

Anyway, here is a Propus 620 Quad/Asus M4A77TD 770 AM3 combo for $173.

not familiar with the advantage of a thuban qualified board, i'll study up
m
l
April 22, 2010 9:20:22 PM

misry said:
1st, I'm not clear about your specs. You say you want a system to "get you by" for a few months but then in the same breath you want it to run dual monitors and "Multitask alot, run lots of programs at the same time, can't emphasize that enough. Rendering video, Adobe after effects, video encoding, watching video, music." If you want it to do all that why don't you just build the system you want in the first place?

Now if you've got a Microcenter nearby and all you really want right now is something to check email and surf a few forums till you are ready for a new build why don't you snag one of their sub-$300 refurb units to tide you over? Then you could demote that to a file/print server after the Monster build is done.

sorry my reply wasn't clear.

I have 2 monitors that i was using with my laptop, so...if possible...i'll be looking for something that'll allow me to use what i already have.

When I say, "get me by" i just mean that this isn't a setup that i expect to have all the bells and whistles. I'd just hope that it will be somewhat capable of serving my specific needs, although for a bottom dollar price, it might not be optimal.

I do more then check email and surf, that's why i added mention of what i do on a daily basis

In the end, I'm probably asking for the best of both worlds.

At least getting some ideas will put me in a better ballpark for what i'll be using my computer for in the next few months while i save up cash, versus just picking something up from microcenter without paying attention to what it's made of and how it will perform.

Hope that makes more sense and clarifies a bit more.
m
l
April 23, 2010 3:57:13 PM

i got a deal on this set and want to overclock this setup.

I think I'll need a bigger power source, correct? Will this motherboard be alright or should i look into upgrading it as well?

If i have enough cash, I will try to add 2 more gb of ram to total 6gb.

Reading in here, it looks like I can overclock to 3.2 without getting near any trouble.

Specs:

Athlon ll X4 620 (P) (2.6GHz / 4000 MHz HT3) AM3; 2 MB L2 cache (95W)

AMD 785G chipset

4GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-8500

500 gb hard drive

Integrated Graphics (Radeon HD4200)

300w power output

what do you think?

m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
April 23, 2010 4:19:17 PM

4GB of RAM is plenty for gaming and day to day tasks. Your PSU should be fine until you upgrade to a dedicated GPU
m
l
April 23, 2010 4:39:05 PM

thanks SAAIELLO,

Yeah, I'll mainly be doing heavy video editing on this system with after effects and sony vegas, so the graphics will be ok for now.

If i overclock to 3.2-3.4, do you think it might run hot?

thanks again
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 8:21:55 PM

glasshalffull said:
i got a deal on this set and want to overclock this setup.

I think I'll need a bigger power source, correct? Will this motherboard be alright or should i look into upgrading it as well?

If i have enough cash, I will try to add 2 more gb of ram to total 6gb.

Reading in here, it looks like I can overclock to 3.2 without getting near any trouble.

Specs:

Athlon ll X4 620 (P) (2.6GHz / 4000 MHz HT3) AM3; 2 MB L2 cache (95W)

AMD 785G chipset

4GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-8500

500 gb hard drive

Integrated Graphics (Radeon HD4200)

300w power output

what do you think?

All in all, very solid config for your needs. As for the RAM, 4GB is pretty enough. In the next years if you feel the need for upgrade go for another 2 gigs.
m
l
a c 114 à CPUs
April 26, 2010 7:57:21 PM

glasshalffull said:
thanks SAAIELLO,

Yeah, I'll mainly be doing heavy video editing on this system with after effects and sony vegas, so the graphics will be ok for now.

If i overclock to 3.2-3.4, do you think it might run hot?

thanks again

If you drop the memory ratio down a notch and increase the clock from 200 ---> 240MHz your RAMs revert to stock speed, your NB/IMC will boost to 2400MHz from 2000MHz and your 620 will be running 3.12GHz.

Slam dunk with this GB MA785GM-US2H AM2+ 758g (it's $80 with free shipping from the Egg) ....

And just so happens to be qualified for the Phenom 1055T (and there is a Propus 635 Egg combo for $175 with the GB 785g) :D 

14.5x240MHz=3.48MHz :bounce: 
m
l
!