Sign in with
Your question

$1000 Video Editing and CAD Build

Last response: in Systems
February 14, 2010 6:21:40 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: <1 month

BUDGET RANGE: $1000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Video editing, CAD, possibly some high-res Processing applications in the future, no gaming.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitors, case, power supply (Seasonic SS-550HT), auxiliary hard drives (2 x 1TB), DVD-R, keyboard, mouse, sound card, NIC

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm overhauling my 3-yr old PC. I'd like to make a well-rounded, multi-task capable Windows 7 64-bit build for immediate use in video editing and CAD. There is also a possibility I will eventually upgrade this unit for high-res, multi-monitor computational graphics applications (Processing, ReacTable multi-touch tables, etc.) I would likely upgrade RAM and GPU(s) at that point, however, I am not clear on how significant the benefit would be from high-end GPUs or Crossfire/SLI arrays in my non-gaming applications -- I'd especially love advice on that, thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is an i7-860 build, let me know what you think. I'm open for opinions on the i7-920 in my applications -- although I am not interested in future CPU upgrading (I would likely just upgrade the MB at that point too.) I am considering scratching the SSD for now and going with a 1TB Samsung F3 HD.

CPU: Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I7860 - Retail $279.99

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $134.99

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model $104.99

Primary Hard Drive: Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM $289.95

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM $104.99

Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" $29.99

GPU: HIS H557F1G Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card - Retail - $84.99

Total: $1030

February 14, 2010 6:25:45 PM

Ahh, sorry. I guess this belongs in the "New System Build" section...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2010 6:31:10 PM

At $1000, I'd stick with traditional hard drives, you could probably afford a couple at that price, allowing you to have backup disks or a RAIDed scratch space or something. Upon further review, I see you already have 2 1 TB drives, and you probably don't even need to buy any additional drives after the boot drive.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good to me. Looks like you've done your research.

I don't expect you'd see much benefit from a higher-end gaming GPU for non-gaming applications. However, you might see some benefit in getting a workstation graphics card. I'm not really qualified to advise on those, however.
m
l
Related resources
February 14, 2010 8:36:15 PM

As it sounds like you might be doing quite a bit of CAD work, the entry level nVidia FX 380 and 580 might be of interest to you.
m
l
February 14, 2010 9:14:54 PM

What they said. By scratching the SSD you will free up enough funds to get into a workstation card.
m
l
February 14, 2010 10:00:59 PM

coldsleep said:
At $1000, I'd stick with traditional hard drives, you could probably afford a couple at that price, allowing you to have backup disks or a RAIDed scratch space or something. Upon further review, I see you already have 2 1 TB drives, and you probably don't even need to buy any additional drives after the boot drive.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good to me. Looks like you've done your research.

I don't expect you'd see much benefit from a higher-end gaming GPU for non-gaming applications. However, you might see some benefit in getting a workstation graphics card. I'm not really qualified to advise on those, however.

+1. These guys know there stuff. I completely agree. Lose the SSD, and put in a Quadro FX 580 or similar.

You also might consider bumping up to a Core i7 920 and an X58 motherboard with triple channel RAM. If it's in the budget that is. I just built one, but it ran me closer to $1500 than $1000.
m
l
February 15, 2010 1:29:46 AM

I've got a Quadro FX 560 in my system now and it hasn't been that helpful (granted, the FX 580 is significantly faster.) My CAD work isn't as intense, or as much of a priority as my video editing – so I'd prefer to point my money in that direction.

Has anyone tried "softmodding" their GeForce into a Quadro? See this link: http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=539

Thanks for your help!
m
l
February 15, 2010 1:47:10 AM

charlie_b123 said:
I've got a Quadro FX 560 in my system now and it hasn't been that helpful (granted, the FX 580 is significantly faster.) My CAD work isn't as intense, or as much of a priority as my video editing – so I'd prefer to point my money in that direction.

Has anyone tried "softmodding" their GeForce into a Quadro? See this link: http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=539

Thanks for your help!

Well, if your not gaming, then then the GeForce's and Radeon's don't really do you much good anyway. If you plan on editing with Avid at any point (you may or may not) then you'll want a Quadro, because they're the only officially supported video cards for Xpress Pro HD and the like.

That was my main reason for getting a Quadro. Just wanted to throw it out.

As far as the soft modding, I've never tried it. Sorry.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 15, 2010 1:49:00 AM

The FX series is helpful in rendering but doesn't really come into play in straight 2D and 3D CAD.....
m
l
February 15, 2010 2:28:04 AM

CAD likes Quaddro, and since you don't need 3D for games the GPU will do all you need
m
l
!