My PSU and overclocking

Hipponezz

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Hey everyone, i recently bought a new computer, and reviews i've found around the net tell me that my CPU and GPU both overclock really well.
I haven't really done any overclocking before, but from looking at various forums, i've found some (apparently) stable overclocking configurations for these parts. However, i'm not certain that my PSU will even allow me to overclock in any meaningful way without exploding :)

My pc's specs:
CPU: AMD FX 4100 - 3.6 GHz (With stock cooler!)
GPU: MSI gtx 560 TI twinfrozr II running at about 30 degrees celsius when idling.
Mobo: MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) AMD760G AM3+ HD3000
PSU: Coolermaster GX lite 500 W
HD: 500g 7200 RPM

Now some proposed overclocks were something along the lines of:
1055 core, as opposed to 820 stock for the GPU
And 4.6 GHz for the CPU ( This was max stable in a review, and yes that was with the stock cooler)

First question: Does my PSU allow me to overclock at all?
Second question: Are these clocks feasible with my PSU? (I'm assuming no :D)

Ouch, that CM is near-junk; you may be running it on the ragged edge as-is. Replace it with a real PSU before you even think about overclocking. Anything built by Seasonic will be good (e.g. their own, XFX, and some others). Antec, new FSP, new Rosewill (Superflower-built) and Enermax/LEPA are also decent. Five hundred watts ought to be enough, but 550W would be safer.

Minyata

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Actually Coolermaster ISN'T that bad but that model is a bite on the cheaper component side.

Minyata

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Your psu has more than enough power to allow you to overclock. The only main thing you have to worry about is if your PSU has enough power to power up your components plus some head room. And how clean of power it can deliver. In most cases if you are going with a good known brand like Corsair, Coolermaster, Antec, ect... you should be fine. Just remember to take you time when overclocking and bumb up the FSB by small increments and run tests. Always checkt he temp as well. Also remember that just because other people got good clockig speed with the same setup does not mean you will get the same result every chip has it's own limit. Be safe and happy overclocking.

CM is NOT a "known good brand." They are a purveyor of liar-labeled near-junk, as review after review has found. HardwareSecrets has exposed many of them, but a favorite might be HardOCP's summary of the GX650 as "a polished turd in a box." Yeah, they've got a very few that pass testing, but then why support a dishonest company at all?

Hipponezz

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Onus, you seem to be a tiny bit biased (just a little bit) but on the whole i'm not so much worried about the brand, as i am about the wattage, 500W seems like nothing compared to most people on these boards. I know I probably can't reach the impressive clocks i listed, those were pretty much an upper ceiling i wanted to show you. But you guys think 500W is enough to at least begin overclocking? BTW the efficiency for my particular PSU was listed at about 88% on their website.

I am EXTREMELY biased against [near-]junk. Read the competent technical reviews (not consumer "reviews," which are meaningless fluff).
A 430W Antec Earthwatts could run your rig (using an adapter for the second PCIe power connector). I would not overclock them though, unless I had a little more wattage. A 500W PSU would be plenty; it's just that you don't have a 500W PSU, you have something that is probably good for around 430W-450W, and that possibly not cleanly.