T2-FM-Horns of Canzo final.zip not bug free?

Enjoying this one even though I have only played on Poor twice.
Finally got the final version of this, thanks to Sxerks, and I had hoped
it was bug free, but it looks like it isn't.
Playing on Poor, I completed all the required objectives except for
"find at least 6 secrets". I knew I had more then 6, so I checked and
sure enough I found 8 out of 11 secrets. The objective doesn't check
off.
Is it just me or is this a minor bug? When I played it the first time
with the buggy version, it checked off fine after finding at least 6
secrets.
Albert

On Mon, 31 May 2004 12:19:39 GMT, "Albert R. Conklin" <aconklin@satx.rr.com>
wrote:

> Enjoying this one even though I have only played on Poor twice.
>Finally got the final version of this, thanks to Sxerks, and I had hoped
>it was bug free, but it looks like it isn't.
> Playing on Poor, I completed all the required objectives except for
>"find at least 6 secrets". I knew I had more then 6, so I checked and
>sure enough I found 8 out of 11 secrets. The objective doesn't check
>off.
> Is it just me or is this a minor bug? When I played it the first time
>with the buggy version, it checked off fine after finding at least 6
>secrets.
>Albert

The author has another final version posted on his web site (1.03).
It took forever to download (limited to 5kbps).
And I did just post it to the binary group.
Hopefully this one is bug free.

Sxerks

<aconklin@satx.rr.com> wrote:

> Enjoying this one even though I have only played on Poor twice.
>Finally got the final version of this, thanks to Sxerks, and I had hoped
>it was bug free, but it looks like it isn't.
> Playing on Poor, I completed all the required objectives except for
>"find at least 6 secrets". I knew I had more then 6, so I checked and
>sure enough I found 8 out of 11 secrets. The objective doesn't check
>off.
> Is it just me or is this a minor bug? When I played it the first time
>with the buggy version, it checked off fine after finding at least 6
>secrets.
>Albert

I've been kind of wondering what's up with people posting badly untested
games to Cheap Missions lately. It's not so bad with a small mission but
having frequent revisions of a 80MB mission is annoying. Did you see that
Jason aka Epithumia pulled the "final" version. Perhaps the author
realized he should do his beta testing before posting it?

BTW, did you read the mood killing note behind the weapon shop? That kind
of put me off playing this FM.

*grumble, grumble*

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Michael Cecil wrote:

> ........BTW, did you read the mood killing note behind the weapon shop?
> That kind of put me off playing this FM.
>
> *grumble, grumble*
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

I thought it added a bit of humor.
Albert

MC> I've been kind of wondering what's up with people posting badly
MC> untested games to Cheap Missions lately.

I can't personally test every mission, so I have to take the author's
word for it. Sterlino promised me that the "final" version was indeed
the final, fully tested version. I guess not.

There's really not much I can do about it except demand that missions
be fully tested; if authors choose to lie about it then we might as
well just give up on the whole thing.

MC> Did you see that Jason aka Epithumia pulled the "final" version.
MC> Perhaps the author realized he should do his beta testing before
MC> posting it?

I told him to take a flying leap unless he tested it. So he started
hosting it himself, came out with two more versions, then ran out of
bandwidth. So he convinced the Circle to host it (which they probably
shouldn't have done) and he's on his second revision there. He even
promised me that 1.03 is the absolute final version, at least for a
couple of months. But no, 1.03b is out after a single day.

This was poised to happen again with a 77MB monster mission by a
different author, but I told the guy that unless three independent
testers report to me, I'm not hosting it. Lo and behold, the first
tester finds that you can't even load saved games. I hate to
discourage new FM authors from contributing, but frankly I don't want
any more huge broken missions. They don't do anyone any good.

- J<

S> The author has another final version posted on his web site
S> (1.03). It took forever to download (limited to 5kbps). And I did
S> just post it to the binary group. Hopefully this one is bug free.

Then you have made a mistake, because he's released another version.
Please, stop enabling him. Wait until a properly tested version is
available.

- J<

On 02 Jun 2004 10:18:00 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu>
wrote:

>MC> I've been kind of wondering what's up with people posting badly
>MC> untested games to Cheap Missions lately.
>
>I can't personally test every mission, so I have to take the author's
>word for it. Sterlino promised me that the "final" version was indeed
>the final, fully tested version. I guess not.
>
>There's really not much I can do about it except demand that missions
>be fully tested; if authors choose to lie about it then we might as
>well just give up on the whole thing.

I figured as much and I wasn't blaming you. It just seemed like there
were a bunch of beta missions posted at the same time and I was hoping the
trend wouldn't continue.

>MC> Did you see that Jason aka Epithumia pulled the "final" version.
>MC> Perhaps the author realized he should do his beta testing before
>MC> posting it?
>
>I told him to take a flying leap unless he tested it. So he started
>hosting it himself, came out with two more versions, then ran out of
>bandwidth. So he convinced the Circle to host it (which they probably
>shouldn't have done) and he's on his second revision there. He even
>promised me that 1.03 is the absolute final version, at least for a
>couple of months. But no, 1.03b is out after a single day.
>
>This was poised to happen again with a 77MB monster mission by a
>different author, but I told the guy that unless three independent
>testers report to me, I'm not hosting it. Lo and behold, the first
>tester finds that you can't even load saved games. I hate to
>discourage new FM authors from contributing, but frankly I don't want
>any more huge broken missions. They don't do anyone any good.

That sounds like a reasonable policy. After all, even with T3 out I don't
think there would be a lack of testers if the authors post a message to
the TTLG forum requesting them. There are numerous free hosting sites
available like http://www.aloofhosting.com/, http://www2.dropload.com/,
and http://www.archive.org/web/freecache.php now so getting the mission to
testers shouldn't be a problem.

Oh well, thanks again for providing such a useful service to us Taffers.
:)

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

MC> There are numerous free hosting sites available like
MC> http://www.aloofhosting.com/, http://www2.dropload.com/, and
MC> http://www.archive.org/web/freecache.php now so getting the
MC> mission to testers shouldn't be a problem.

thiefmissions.com hosts missions for testers as well. Big projects
can even get a forum.

- J<