Sign in with
Your question

How does this oc look?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 18, 2012 6:51:23 PM

hi all new to oc and was wondering what everyone thought about how this oc looks? and could it get any higher?
im running amd 965 be cpu, asrock 970 extreme 4 mobo, sapphire 7850 2gb gpu, 8gb corsiar, xfx pr0 550w psu, 212 evo cooling.

core voltage = 1.384 v
core speed = 3991.69 mhz
multiplier = x20.0
bus speed = 199.58
ht link = 1796.06
core temps = 56c max
while running prime 95 for 50 minute

More about : question

a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2012 10:43:30 PM

Looks pretty good.

I would stay-put with those temps. (I prefer to stay below 55C myself, but 56 is fine)
November 19, 2012 6:37:06 PM

Z1NONLY said:
Looks pretty good.

I would stay-put with those temps. (I prefer to stay below 55C myself, but 56 is fine)

thanks for the reply. any idea how to get the temps down abit seeing as they are not much different to the temps i was getting before adding the coolmaster 212 only dropped around 5c after installing the 212 and from what i have seen should be around 10-20c drop if im correct? maybe applied thermal paste incorrectly (to much to little im using arctic silver. any help would be appreciated.
Related resources
November 19, 2012 6:46:02 PM

jbegsi2007 said:
thanks for the reply. any idea how to get the temps down abit seeing as they are not much different to the temps i was getting before adding the coolmaster 212 only dropped around 5c after installing the 212 and from what i have seen should be around 10-20c drop if im correct? maybe applied thermal paste incorrectly (to much to little im using arctic silver. any help would be appreciated.

5c isn't to bad... You really where expecting as much as 20c drop? 55c -20c = 35c... that is not to high over ambient temps. Idle temps should be around 30c so 55ish at full load is reasonable. If you really think you should be getting cooler temps you could re apply the thermal paste, it only takes a drop(pea sized).

November 19, 2012 7:31:10 PM

Derza10 said:
5c isn't to bad... You really where expecting as much as 20c drop? 55c -20c = 35c... that is not to high over ambient temps. Idle temps should be around 30c so 55ish at full load is reasonable. If you really think you should be getting cooler temps you could re apply the thermal paste, it only takes a drop(pea sized).

thanks for reply when i applied the thermal paste i put a pea sized drop like everyone says to do but it really didnt seem enough when spread out sorry if this is such a noob thing to ask but does the thermal paste have to cover the entire cpu? becouse a pea size drop for me really didnt spread that much at all? every video i seem to watch had the entire cpu covered so went with that. was thinking maybe it was a bit to thick but went with the thicker spread all over rather than thin not spread all over. sorry but i am new to all the pc building its all a learning curve to me.thanks for your patience and thanks for anymore replys
November 19, 2012 7:46:58 PM

jbegsi2007 said:
thanks for reply when i applied the thermal paste i put a pea sized drop like everyone says to do but it really didnt seem enough when spread out sorry if this is such a noob thing to ask but does the thermal paste have to cover the entire cpu? becouse a pea size drop for me really didnt spread that much at all? every video i seem to watch had the entire cpu covered so went with that. was thinking maybe it was a bit to thick but went with the thicker spread all over rather than thin not spread all over. sorry but i am new to all the pc building its all a learning curve to me.thanks for your patience and thanks for anymore replys

The thinner you can get it spread over the whole cpu the better. a pea size amount SHOULD spread pretty much over the whole cpu. You can leave it as a ball in the center of the cpu and apply the heat sink on it like that, and it will spread it out pretty evenly.
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2012 9:15:39 PM

Derza10 said:
The thinner you can get it spread over the whole cpu the better. a pea size amount SHOULD spread pretty much over the whole cpu. You can leave it as a ball in the center of the cpu and apply the heat sink on it like that, and it will spread it out pretty evenly.

I hate it when people say 'pea-sized amount'

Does anyone have any idea as to how damn big a pea is?
November 19, 2012 11:42:03 PM

azathoth said:
I hate it when people say 'pea-sized amount'

Does anyone have any idea as to how damn big a pea is?

Lol ok why don't you give us a better description of the amount to use? All i see is crying with no solution presented.
a b K Overclocking
November 20, 2012 12:41:04 PM

Derza10 said:
Lol ok why don't you give us a better description of the amount to use? All i see is crying with no solution presented.

Well fair enough calling me out on that, my post was redundant without a counterargument.

A much better example would be suggesting paste in the amount slightly larger than a grain of cooked white rice. (In terms of volume, not using a line method)

The paste is meant to simply make as much contact as possible between the two solid surfaces, too much acts as an insulator and too little provides insufficient contact for heat transfer.
You need enough to satisfy both conditions, the compression of the heatsink should sufficiently compress the paste at this size to provide adequate coverage without insulation.

November 21, 2012 8:32:27 PM

hia guys just a quick update.i re-applied thermal paste (this time using coolmaster paste that came with the 212) and applied a pea size amount of paste (thinner than last time) and i have dropped the temps by 6c when at full load (prime 95) now hitting 50c. thanks for the help everyone who replied
November 21, 2012 9:11:22 PM

Np happy to hear it helped.
!