Building a cheap AMD system

bambinobomber

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Right now there's a $50 difference between FX 4100 and Intel's i3s where I live, so I consider the AMD as the best option since Tom's benchmarks barely show any difference when it comes to gaming performance (and most games I play aren't that demanding). But I have no idea of what motherboard and RAM sticks to buy for it. I'm aware that Steamrollers will still be compatible with the AM3+ socket so I was hoping to get a mobo that would still do ok in 2 years with a slightly overclocked Steamroller. At the moment I'm considering to buy the ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0. It's cheap and seems to have all the features I would need for a decent overclock.

The reason I'm not getting the FX 4300 is because Visheras seem more like a side-grade than anything, so I don't think it's worth it to pay for them since right now they are more expensive than the Ivy i3s I can get. If anything I expect to upgrade to the 8-cores steamroller in the future.

I was also wondering if there would be a noticeable difference in RAM performance between 1600mhz and 1866mhz.

ocmusicjunkie

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Why specifically the Earthwatts 380? If it's for cost, right now that supply is $45 on Newegg, but the much better option of the Antec Neo Eco 520c is only $55. For the extra $10, getting a top-notch PSU that won't be pushed to within an inch of its life would be well worth it....

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
That MB is fine, but I wouldn't call it cheap. I have OC'd on two different gigabyte 990FX UD-3 boards. They do well, and cost less....but I don't even consider that board to be "cheap".

If you are looking to go the cheap route, get the cheapest bord with a decent VRM section, (for overclocking, which your 4100 will need to perform well in games) from a reputable brand.

Also, the difference between 1600 RAM and 1866 shouldn't matter for a cheap system either.

I'm just not sure I understand your goals.

$150 MB, 1866 RAM, (performance) and a 380w PSU? (to save money)

I'm not one of those people that put down budget systems, but your build seems to have an identity crisis.

Don't count on Steamroller. AMD may not come through with it because of financial issues.

do you also know the 990fx ud3 holds the world record with the 8350 @ about 8.6 ghz haha but id look on newegg for a bigger power supply like a 500+ esp if you are going to upgrade in the future. also wow 150 for ram i spent 45 on sale for my corsair vengance 1866 2x4gb