Dead Mobo or Bad Ram?

cmysta

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Hey folks,

I posted here a couple months ago trying to figure out what my problem was. Based on my tests/helpful responses from the community I decided my mobo was DOA, sent it back and got a replacement. HOwever now that I have my replacement I'm seeking help yet again. Here's what I'm working with:

intel i5-760
Gigabyte P55-USB3 rev 2.0
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 2x2gb

I have all my other parts but for the purpose of my testing I'm going with the bare minimum. On my previous mobo which was supposedly tested and found to in fact be DOA I tried different combos of RAM/no RAM and got the same power error (rapid short beeps) code from my speak. I get the seem beep code currently, with or without ram (tried different permutations, 1 stick 2 stick slot 1 slot 1&2 slot 1&3).

I ordered my cpu/mobo from superbiiz who sent the mobo out to gigabyte to be tested last time. This time I was very upset seeing the same results and asked for my money back. They asked me to speak to their "technician" first, who proceeded to tell me that because I was getting beeps my mobo was working and it was a RAM error. I placed the RAM where he told me and still no good, and I'm 99% sure that there would be a different beep code if it was a RAM issue (per manual/common sense). I know that getting dead RAM isn't a rare occurence at all but I just wanted to get opinions before I continue my fight with the company on whether or not you guys this is the mobo again or my RAM?

Thanks for your time!

Error codes are explained in the mobo manual.
Does your rig post and allow bios entry.
Have you properly tested the ram at default settings one stick at a time with Memtest+86?
Is the ram seated in the proper colour coded dimms? That would be the white ones starting with the farthest one from the cpu.
Stupid question i had to ask you'd be surprised.
I know how frustrating it can be the rig i'm currently using shipped with bad parts.
Faulty cpu,hdd,and ram.
Hdd was easy to diagnose so was the ram but the cpu had me stumped for awhile.

cmysta

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Yep RAM is in the white slots, I can't post at all and I can't get into the bios so I also can't run Memtest. I get the beeps with and without RAM, and I assume if it was a RAM issue it would be a different beep code.

Basically this guys sums up word for word my issue:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/291067-31-power-error-gigabyte-usb3

I'm told by the superbiiz tech that it's RAM issues but I don't know if I buy it. Especially since I had to prove to him that my cpu was supported by the mobo :x

TRENDING THREADS