Will DSL be my bottleneck for WoW?

Mr Subs

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
RAM & MoBo: OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

GPU & CPU: SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core

PSU & HDD: CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

Case: NZXT TEMPEST EVO Crafted Series TEVO-001BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower

Speakers: LOGISYS Computer SP6006CL 40 Watts RMS 2.1 Multimedia Clear Speakers w/Blue LEDs[/url]

Monitor: Hanns·G HH-231HPB Black 23" 5ms HDMI Widescreen Full HD LCD

ODD: Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe LightScribe Support - OEM

Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve

Surge Protector: BELKIN BP112230-08 8 Feet 12 Outlets 4320 Joules Pivot-Plug

Glasses: Gunnar G001-C001 Catalyst Metal Weezer Onyx Digital Performance Eyewear

Total= $1290

Solution
its virtually impossible to tell for online gaming. how quickly your net connection is capable of downloading 2MB does not tell you how your latency will be. this is to do with how quickly it can receive and SEND, much smaller pieces of data.

its quite possible for a 256k broadband connection and an 8mbps broadband conection to both achieve the same latency in gaming.

as long as the DSL connection isn't awful, it SHOULD be fine for online gaming. especially for a relatively slow paced game like WoW.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
a good system, that will absolutely obliterate WoW.

the only issue i see is that the PSU is 100w less than the recommended minimum for a 5770.
its a corsair, so its capable of higher than the rated output, so SHOULD do fine. though it may be better to jump up to a 520 or 550 to be sure. (it would suck to find out after buying it that it was unable to supply your system adequately)

a good build though. but the glasses made me lol. :D

Mr Subs

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Ha yea the glasses are funny. I'm just gonna pray the PSU will work. I will order another one separately later, if it won't work. Anyway, the title of the thread is my question.

I think I'll get upgraded to Verizon FIOs not too long from now, because I figure 1 mbps or maybe up to 2 mbps, if i'm lucky, would be a huge bottleneck to any online gaming. Is that true?

ares1214

Splendid
yes, but it depends on what speeds you get on how bad it would be...if it is normal, yes it will be your bottleneck, but you probs cant fix it much, and you probs wont notice much. if its fast, you wont notice at all, and if its slow, loading will probs just take a bit longer.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
its virtually impossible to tell for online gaming. how quickly your net connection is capable of downloading 2MB does not tell you how your latency will be. this is to do with how quickly it can receive and SEND, much smaller pieces of data.

its quite possible for a 256k broadband connection and an 8mbps broadband conection to both achieve the same latency in gaming.

as long as the DSL connection isn't awful, it SHOULD be fine for online gaming. especially for a relatively slow paced game like WoW.

Solution

Mr Subs

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Thanks, FIOS would still actually be cheaper. Only problem is my mom's house is up in the mountains, so I don't think she can get it. Then, my grandma doesn't want it because the basement is trashed, and she doesn't want people going down there.

welshmousepk

Distinguished

ah, annoying.

your best bet is just to try it. im pretty sure you should be fine. but like i said, its tough to say.

good luck with it though.