Help: WinXP Backup Question

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

I have been installing a new external hard rive this weekend, a Maxtor One
Touch, and don't like the supplied backup software called Retrospect
Express.

So I have used the backup Facility provided in WinXP Pro, and it appears to
do what I want, and I have done a full system back, plus an incremental
backup.

In the Restore Tab it shows a Tree structure of the files backed up, but a
couple of the folders have a red exclamation mark (!) over them ,and I
cannot find out what that means.

Can anyone enlighten me and tell me what is going on, and do I need to be
worried about this?

Many thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about help winxp backup question
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Usually, the backup creates a report and asks if you wish to view it when
    you close the current backup. Under options, it may be under "Job" on the
    toolbar, go to the report tab and select "List all files that were backed
    up." Then, run the backup again and see if there's a notation in the
    report.

    You may have to hunt a bit for this option as I'm using the retail version
    of the backup app that ships with XP Pro and it is a bit more robust and may
    differ a bit from yours.

    The most likely explanation is it couldn't open the file. If the file was
    System Volume Information, that is a system folder that contains the System
    Restore information and the system usually won't let you backup and restore
    that nor should it be necessary as a backup is usually used to restore
    specific user files that might accidentally have been lost or used in a full
    restore of user files after a format and clean install.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Andrew" <andrew@hostinguk.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been installing a new external hard rive this weekend, a Maxtor One
    > Touch, and don't like the supplied backup software called Retrospect
    > Express.
    >
    > So I have used the backup Facility provided in WinXP Pro, and it appears
    > do what I want, and I have done a full system back, plus an incremental
    > backup.
    >
    > In the Restore Tab it shows a Tree structure of the files backed up, but a
    > couple of the folders have a red exclamation mark (!) over them ,and I
    > cannot find out what that means.
    >
    > Can anyone enlighten me and tell me what is going on, and do I need to be
    > worried about this?
    >
    > Many thanks

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Michael,

    Thanks for the info regarding this problem, it is most appreciated. I have
    not replied before now, as I have been aware on holiday, and only got back
    home last night!

    Regarding the report files for the backup, they indicate a couple of
    things, for example some files were in use and could not be backed up, also
    some were cookies and temp files so that answers that bit, but I did find
    this entry in all of the reports made so far:

    "...Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:80042301
    Reverting to non-shadow copy backup mode..."

    I am not a technical person by profession, but I have been using computers
    since the 1980's and have found my ware round MS-Dos, and hard drive
    partitioning etc, which thankfully to day is so much easier and quicker than
    then, but to be honest I am not sure what this message means.

    Is it particularly important or can I just carry on as normal?

    I have my system set to do a daily Incremental backup and am quite happy as
    long as all my data such as Word Doc's, Web files, graphics files and the
    like are safely backed up. To be honest if my system was at a stage that it
    needed a 'full system restore' from Backup, I think I would be ok with
    starting from scratch and reinstalling WinXP Pro on a freshly formatted hard
    drive, and then just restore my data files etc.

    I was interested in your comment regarding the fact that you are using a
    'retail' version of backup as provided in Win XP Pro.

    Where do you get it from, and how much is it, and do I really need it?

    I hope you don't mind my asking.

    Kind Regards

    Andrew

    > Usually, the backup creates a report and asks if you wish to view it when
    > you close the current backup. Under options, it may be under "Job" on the
    > toolbar, go to the report tab and select "List all files that were backed
    > up." Then, run the backup again and see if there's a notation in the
    > report.
    >
    > You may have to hunt a bit for this option as I'm using the retail version
    > of the backup app that ships with XP Pro and it is a bit more robust and
    > may differ a bit from yours.
    >
    > The most likely explanation is it couldn't open the file. If the file was
    > System Volume Information, that is a system folder that contains the
    > System Restore information and the system usually won't let you backup and
    > restore that nor should it be necessary as a backup is usually used to
    > restore specific user files that might accidentally have been lost or used
    > in a full restore of user files after a format and clean install.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "Andrew" <andrew@hostinguk.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have been installing a new external hard rive this weekend, a Maxtor
    >> One
    >> Touch, and don't like the supplied backup software called Retrospect
    >> Express.
    >>
    >> So I have used the backup Facility provided in WinXP Pro, and it appears
    >> do what I want, and I have done a full system back, plus an incremental
    >> backup.
    >>
    >> In the Restore Tab it shows a Tree structure of the files backed up, but
    >> couple of the folders have a red exclamation mark (!) over them ,and I
    >> cannot find out what that means.
    >>
    >> Can anyone enlighten me and tell me what is going on, and do I need to be
    >> worried about this?
    >>
    >> Many thanks

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Are you using FAT32 or NTFS? If you are not sure, open Windows Explorer or
    My Computer, right click the C drive or any other drive being backed up,
    select properties, the General tab will tell you which file system you are
    using. If FAT32, Volume Shadow Copy is not supported and would be the
    reason for the error. If that is the case, check the options or preferences
    in the backup applet to see if you can turn off shadow copy. If you can't
    do worry about it, the message, it's simply related to the fact the option
    is not supported but this shouldn't effect your ability to backup or
    restore.

    The backup applet supplied with XP is a lite version of a product formerly
    known as Backup Exec and was developed by Veritas. Veritas no longer
    distributes through retail channels and turned distribution of the product
    over to Stomp which has rebranded the product as Backup MyPC and all
    information including price can be found at the following link:
    http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html

    Whether or not you need it depends upon your needs. It is more robust than
    the XP version and offers far more compatibility with backup devices as the
    applet in XP is quite limited in that regard. One bit of advice, if you
    decide this is something you need, they offer the option of buying by
    download or purchasing the CD. My advice is to buy the CD even though it is
    $10 more and before buying directly from stomp, you might want to check
    various retailers to see if they have it and for what price as you might get
    a discount from a retailer.

    I purchased the download and it's a bit of a pain when they have upgrades.
    Instead of just pointing setup to the media and installing the upgrade, I
    have to install each upgrade and its a pain in the behind.

    --

    "Andrew" <aparkhouse@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "Andrew" <andrew@hostinguk.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have been installing a new external hard rive this weekend, a Maxtor
    >>> One
    >>> Touch, and don't like the supplied backup software called Retrospect
    >>> Express.
    >>>
    >>> So I have used the backup Facility provided in WinXP Pro, and it appears
    >>> do what I want, and I have done a full system back, plus an incremental
    >>> backup.
    >>>
    >>> In the Restore Tab it shows a Tree structure of the files backed up, but
    >>> couple of the folders have a red exclamation mark (!) over them ,and I
    >>> cannot find out what that means.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone enlighten me and tell me what is going on, and do I need to

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Michael,

    Yes my system is NTFS, in fact both my internal C:\ drive and my Maxtor 'One
    Touch external drive are formatted that way. When I first installed the
    Maxtor One Touch drive, it was originally formatted as Fat32, but the
    supplied manual recommended converting it to NTFS if using Win 2000 or XP,
    which I did before I put any data on it.

    So it looks like for some reason the backup applet cant or wont perform
    Volume Shadow Copy, any further suggestions?

    I will take a look at Stompsoft and see what the latest prices and product
    info is, and if happy will try and locate a copy as you suggest.

    Thanks again,

    Kind regards

    Andrew

> [...]
    >>> when you close the current backup. Under options, it may be under "Job"
    >>> on the toolbar, go to the report tab and select "List all files that
    >>> were backed up." Then, run the backup again and see if there's a
    >>> notation in the report.
    >>>
    >>> You may have to hunt a bit for this option as I'm using the retail
    >>> version of the backup app that ships with XP Pro and it is a bit more
    >>> robust and may differ a bit from yours.
    >>>
    >>> The most likely explanation is it couldn't open the file. If the file
    >>> was System Volume Information, that is a system folder that contains the
    >>> System Restore information and the system usually won't let you backup
    >>> and restore that nor should it be necessary as a backup is usually used
    >>> to restore specific user files that might accidentally have been lost or
    >>> used in a full restore of user files after a format and clean install.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Stompsoft usually offers a trial version so you might want to download and
    test it.

    It's possible the following Knowledge Base Article addresses the issue of
    the error you are seeing:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;839090

    --

> [...]
    >>> drive partitioning etc, which thankfully to day is so much easier and
    >>> quicker than then, but to be honest I am not sure what this message
    >>> means.
    >>>
    >>> Is it particularly important or can I just carry on as normal?
    >>>
    >>> I have my system set to do a daily Incremental backup and am quite happy
    >>> as long as all my data such as Word Doc's, Web files, graphics files and
    >>> the like are safely backed up. To be honest if my system was at a stage
    >>> that it needed a 'full system restore' from Backup, I think I would be
    >>> ok with starting from scratch and reinstalling WinXP Pro on a freshly
    >>> formatted hard drive, and then just restore my data files etc.
    >>>
    >>> I was interested in your comment regarding the fact that you are using a
    >>> 'retail' version of backup as provided in Win XP Pro.
    >>>
    >>> Where do you get it from, and how much is it, and do I really need it?

Configuration Backup Microsoft Windows XP