I have a 3770k I plan to o/c increasingly (up to at least 4.7ghz) and wish to know what would be the best cooling option:
1) Noctua NH D14 - about $190NZD - heard very good things about but that it doesn't match the Hyper and is more expensive
2) Cooler Master V6 GT - about $100NZD - looks cool, but don't think it will rank up
3) Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - about $50NZD - cheapest option and apparently outranks pretty much any other cooler
4) Corsair H80 - $159NZD - simple closed water cooling that will be required for the best o/c
The biggest question I have is whether the Hyper or the H80 is the best option for future / higher o/c? And will either require low-profile Ram?
And the thermal paste I was planning on using was the Tuniq TX-4 which apparently gives great conduction and is easy to clean off ($13NZD)
Any help with making a selection would be great THANKS!
Noctua DH-14 is pretty much the best of the best when it comes to air cooling. Cools great, and I've heard that it's quite quiet as well. I don't think a Hyper 212 would cut it if you're going for a 4.7 GHz (24/7?) overclock. I have a Corsair H100 cooler on mine, and at 4.6 GHz, it sits at 79c while running Prime95.
HOWEVER - I could get the H80 cheaper- would it cool better than the Noctua?
Bearing in mind I have a push/pull system - 230mm side, 200mm front IN and 140mm back, 200mm x2 OUT - would the Noctua benefit more from that than the H80?
I can't get the H100 without losing one of the top 200mm fans (or both - not sure) but thanks for the suggestion JohnGalt1
This was to be a 24/7 o/c (until flatmates complain about power usage my Corsair PSU should help though haha ) and I was hoping to get 50-60c with the fan system and reasonably low ambient temperature we have here
SO IN SUMMARY :
1) Noctua OR
2) H-80 (cheaper - would have the outlet fans replace my rear 140mm fans - love CM for the 120mm holes in the case - just in case ) OR
3) H-100 (more expensive and goodbye to my lovely push/pull system)
Also thinking of noise - which option would be loudest? As from what I've read - Corsair H 80/100 aint exactly quiet...(so how is water doing much better than the Noctua's air cooling? )