Sign in with
Your question

GIGABYTE 890FXA-UD5 dead

Last response: in Motherboards
September 25, 2010 6:23:57 PM

I recently bought a GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 with a amd phenom 2 x4 965 black edition and 4gig of gskill eco series 1600 ram. Everything worked fine for about 3 days then my pc stopped working. When I push the power button nothing comes on not even the fans all that works is the led light on the motherboard . I tried my psu with my older system and it still works. So I've been able to rule out the psu and I think if the cpu was dead the fans would at least still come on same goes for if the ram was bad but I'm not exactly sure which is why I'm on here. If it is in fact the motherboard that is dead I was wondering what would have caused it to fry since it did work for a few days. I have a corsair 400w psu(which is a tad low) could that have anything to do with it. I did overclock but I did very little I only set the ram to 1600 cause the motherboard had it default as 1333 and I pushed my cpu from 3.4ghz to 3.5 ghz and my vid card was overclocked a little but was stable. One other detail is I had problems lining up the motherboard in my case(Thermaltake Xaser V ) so I had to apply a little pressure to get the pins and screws in but i still don't think that did anything.

system was
GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5
AMD Phenom 2 x4 965 black edition with freezer 7 pro rev.2 heatsink and fan
4gig of gskill eco series 1600 ram
Xfx 9800gt
western digital raptor hdd
corsair 400w psu
Windows 7 pro 64bit edition

I went ahead and sent in to newegg for a replacement motherboard but I would like to make sure when I get my replacement the same thing doesn't happen if something else I have is faulty.
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2010 3:35:37 PM

oneshoe said:
I recently bought a GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 with a amd phenom 2 x4 965 black edition and 4gig of gskill eco series 1600 ram. Everything worked fine for about 3 days then my pc stopped working. When I push the power button nothing comes on not even the fans all that works is the led light on the motherboard . I tried my psu with my older system and it still works. So I've been able to rule out the psu and I think if the cpu was dead the fans would at least still come on same goes for if the ram was bad but I'm not exactly sure which is why I'm on here. If it is in fact the motherboard that is dead I was wondering what would have caused it to fry since it did work for a few days. I have a corsair 400w psu(which is a tad low) could that have anything to do with it. I did overclock but I did very little I only set the ram to 1600 cause the motherboard had it default as 1333 and I pushed my cpu from 3.4ghz to 3.5 ghz and my vid card was overclocked a little but was stable. One other detail is I had problems lining up the motherboard in my case(Thermaltake Xaser V ) so I had to apply a little pressure to get the pins and screws in but i still don't think that did anything.

Pop it out of the case onto a wooden table top and see if it works - preferably with a minimum of 550 Watts and start up using a small screwdriver to short the PWR SW pins. Leave the hard disk out at first - you need only to see BIOS on the first firing - add the HDD in the mix after a restart with all BIOS settings returned to default or optimum.
September 26, 2010 4:07:36 PM

I actually did pop it out and try that though I didn't use a screw driver I just plugged in the power switch from my case. I had to use a 400w psu cause thats all I had and I couldn't get any juice flowing through the motherboard or to any of the fans while connecting to the gigabyte board . The weird thing is the fans, they should at least come on but nothing..I could use a paper clip on my psu and the fans would work so i figured perhaps the motherboard was no longer allowing a completed circuit so it seemed as if the psu was dead if that is even making sense.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2010 6:07:44 PM

oneshoe said:
I could use a paper clip on my psu and the fans would work so i figured perhaps the motherboard was no longer allowing a completed circuit so it seemed as if the psu was dead if that is even making sense.

Where exactly did that paperclip go? Do any of the capacitors look even slightly swollen?
September 26, 2010 6:37:21 PM

The paper clip went on the 24 pin connector of the psu connecting the green wire to the black so that my psu would power up(without a motherboard).Found this tip on the net so I could make sure the psu wasn't dead. As for the capacitors none that I could see were swollen. I did send the board back to newegg yesterday for replacement but I'm worried if my cpu or something could be faulty and fry my motherboard I don't wanna ruin the replacement. Could my psu be faulty but show no signs of problems on an older motherboard. My old motherboard (I'm using now) is just a single core amd board with a 4pin atx connector my new board being an 8pin atx connector. My psu had 2x 4pin atx connectors so I plugged both in but maybe I'm overreacting and it was just a bad board. I looked for any signs of something shorting out on the board black marks anything to see dmg but I found nothing but I'm no expert.
!