Your question

Weird BSOD pattern on new system

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Blue Screen
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 15, 2010 1:40:15 AM

I've been having a odd problem with my new build, it runs fine as long as it is on every day, but for some reason when it is left off for more then two days when i go to boot it back up i ether get Memory_Management, or System_Service_Exception bsods, and sometimes windows explorer just crashes and restarts continually forcing me to reset. to get pc to work after this i need to leave it off for a few minutes and when it boots up this time everything works fine. so basically the first boot after the pc has been turned off for two or more days cause a failure of some sort. I'm running a core i5 750 on a gigabyte udp4 p55 not the p55 rev a with 4 gigs(2x2gb) of g skill ddr3 1600 @ 1333 with 9-9-9-24 timings 2 sapphire vapor-x 4890's in crossfire and a western digital 640gb black, i also flashed the bios to the newest version. the weirdest part is that if i don't leave my PC off for an extend period of time it runs perfectly, at one point i played dragon age on it for 12 hours nonstop with no issues on highest settings at 1920x1200, it only happens when i turn it back on after not being used (usually on weekend when i go to my parents house) any ideas on what is causing this?

More about : weird bsod pattern system

February 15, 2010 1:50:03 AM

check the PSU, do you have one that you can switch
m
l
February 15, 2010 1:59:02 AM

number13 said:
check the PSU, do you have one that you can switch

my current psu is a corsair 850hx i have a 500watt antec, but i don't think that will be enough to power my system. is there any other way to test if the power supply is the problem?
m
l
Related resources
February 15, 2010 2:22:36 AM

try OCCT free to download, but be warned, this has been known to kill a marginal PSU, but to me it's the PSU, ripple at startup and the MB shuts down and checks the power, the restart and maybe no ripple, as far as the PSU not having enough current to run the system, try removiong one card, all it will do is go till the video card thinks there is not enough current and then it has a screen that says it will not run, but it will let you know if the PSU is the problem
m
l
February 15, 2010 3:01:12 AM

I think you should try it with either one graphics card or if ur mobo has it the onboard video with both cards removed. If that doesnt help then rma the psu. If getting a dofferent psu doesnt help well then i havexno clue.
m
l
February 15, 2010 3:49:41 AM

I tried running the OCCT power supply stress test, came back with no errors. does that rule out the power supply or should i still try to swap it out? is it possible that my PSU is initially not getting enough current from the wall outlet causing the system to crash?
m
l
February 15, 2010 2:15:52 PM

lol no clue. however, i think it has to do with the psu. however, i had a different idea: just put the thing in sleep mode whenever ur not using it, just dont turn it off a ll the way
m
l
February 15, 2010 2:56:21 PM

Are you overclocking at all? If you are, are you using the built-in Gigabyte software-based overclock? What might be happening is that an improper overclock setup may be trying to override the clock setup in the BIOS after the OS has loaded. If this is the case, then the machine will act as if it has improper memory or CPU clock settings, and you will experience BSODs that are memory or GPF related. On a warm reboot, since the settings are fixed in BIOS at that point, the machine will POST with the proper clock settings and run just fine at that point.

If this is the case, turn off the software overclock, disable the Gigabyte software from your startup and set the overclock directly in the BIOS. If not, then I am speaking right out of my posterior and you need to ignore me and go with the PSU issue, though I do not think this is the case, since the machine obviously gets past POST, where power fluctuation issues would be most readily apparent.
m
l
February 15, 2010 3:08:52 PM

Houndsteeth said:
Are you overclocking at all? If you are, are you using the built-in Gigabyte software-based overclock? What might be happening is that an improper overclock setup may be trying to override the clock setup in the BIOS after the OS has loaded. If this is the case, then the machine will act as if it has improper memory or CPU clock settings, and you will experience BSODs that are memory or GPF related. On a warm reboot, since the settings are fixed in BIOS at that point, the machine will POST with the proper clock settings and run just fine at that point.

If this is the case, turn off the software overclock, disable the Gigabyte software from your startup and set the overclock directly in the BIOS. If not, then I am speaking right out of my posterior and you need to ignore me and go with the PSU issue, though I do not think this is the case, since the machine obviously gets past POST, where power fluctuation issues would be most readily apparent.

well i think any of us who replied to this post KNOW FOR SURE that its the psu......
it just seems the most plausible.
of course, it could be the hard drive on its way out, or bad ram, or a bad mobo.....
m
l
February 15, 2010 7:01:45 PM

I had it overclocked before to 3.7 and memory at 1480 and 9-9-9-24 but everything is at stock settings now, from what people have said it makes sense that the psu is the problem, the only thing that i don't understand is what is causing the odd pattern, if it was just random bsod's then i get it but it is an exact pattern it only happens after two days of being off, its just weird
m
l
February 16, 2010 8:26:23 PM

Though the PSU is often a good answer, it isn't always the issue. In this case, the OP has stress tested the PSU and it checks out using OCCT. It COULD be startup ripple, but like I said, that would be evident during POST, when all the voltages are checked against the known values in BIOS. The problems arise after the OS has loaded and he is getting memory or system service faults, or explorer is continually crashing. That tells me that the system is out of synch, either in memory or bus timings.

cslaw, you said you overclocked the system, then set it back to default, right? How did you do the overclock? In the BIOS or using the Gigabyte OC tool? By setting the OC back to default, did you manually make the changes back to stock or did you tell it to use default settings? Or did you just hit the CUDA switch to reset the setting back to default?

As for the two-day pattern...it does seem confusing. But I have seen this before where you use an overclock utility that changes the frequency and timing settings after Windows has loaded, and the settings do not allow Windows to run stable. Then, on a warm reboot, the settings are applied at BIOS and Windows suddenly becomes happy again.

Yes, it could be bad memory, but that would tell out if the OP were to run memtest. If it was a bad mobo, then the problem would be consistently bad (not so for the memory though as the problem would only occur when that sector was being accessed). Hard drive? There would be other issues related to data corruption, and the OP would be getting page file errors and not memory management or system service exception errors.

Again, this all points to a erroneous overclock setting somewhere that is either being corrected at BIOS or by the software on warm reboot. Disable or even uninstall the OC utility and reset the BIOS back to factory (press the CUDA reset or pull the battery) and see if that doesn't clear up the problem.
m
l
February 16, 2010 8:59:16 PM

Houndsteeth said:
Though the PSU is often a good answer, it isn't always the issue. In this case, the OP has stress tested the PSU and it checks out using OCCT. It COULD be startup ripple, but like I said, that would be evident during POST, when all the voltages are checked against the known values in BIOS. The problems arise after the OS has loaded and he is getting memory or system service faults, or explorer is continually crashing. That tells me that the system is out of synch, either in memory or bus timings.

cslaw, you said you overclocked the system, then set it back to default, right? How did you do the overclock? In the BIOS or using the Gigabyte OC tool? By setting the OC back to default, did you manually make the changes back to stock or did you tell it to use default settings? Or did you just hit the CUDA switch to reset the setting back to default?

As for the two-day pattern...it does seem confusing. But I have seen this before where you use an overclock utility that changes the frequency and timing settings after Windows has loaded, and the settings do not allow Windows to run stable. Then, on a warm reboot, the settings are applied at BIOS and Windows suddenly becomes happy again.

Yes, it could be bad memory, but that would tell out if the OP were to run memtest. If it was a bad mobo, then the problem would be consistently bad (not so for the memory though as the problem would only occur when that sector was being accessed). Hard drive? There would be other issues related to data corruption, and the OP would be getting page file errors and not memory management or system service exception errors.

Again, this all points to a erroneous overclock setting somewhere that is either being corrected at BIOS or by the software on warm reboot. Disable or even uninstall the OC utility and reset the BIOS back to factory (press the CUDA reset or pull the battery) and see if that doesn't clear up the problem.

it was a bios overclock, i have no overclocking utilities installed, i did the reset to stock after i flashed the bios, unless catalyst control center is doing something idk.
m
l
February 17, 2010 12:30:02 PM

Just for grins, did you set the clocks back to default in the BIOS or did you do a CMOS reset? If you didn't do a CMOS reset, but just set your timings back down to "stock", give a CMOS reset (CUDA reset, whatever) a try and see if that doesn't do it for you. Other than that, you can run memtest as well just to be on the safe side since it could be memory still.

By the by, did you push any voltages to get a stable overclock? Did you set the voltage back to stock as well? If you didn't push voltage, then ignore this part. Especially for memory, voltage can affect timing isues. Most memory is fairly tolerant within a certain range. It's when the memory is getting too much or too little that it becomes a problem.

I'm still skeptical of the PSU being the issue, but that is just my opinion, and opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one, and everyone thinks everyone else's is ugly.
m
l
February 18, 2010 1:34:01 AM

Houndsteeth said:
Just for grins, did you set the clocks back to default in the BIOS or did you do a CMOS reset? If you didn't do a CMOS reset, but just set your timings back down to "stock", give a CMOS reset (CUDA reset, whatever) a try and see if that doesn't do it for you. Other than that, you can run memtest as well just to be on the safe side since it could be memory still.

By the by, did you push any voltages to get a stable overclock? Did you set the voltage back to stock as well? If you didn't push voltage, then ignore this part. Especially for memory, voltage can affect timing isues. Most memory is fairly tolerant within a certain range. It's when the memory is getting too much or too little that it becomes a problem.

I'm still skeptical of the PSU being the issue, but that is just my opinion, and opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one, and everyone thinks everyone else's is ugly.

thats not true! ur ideas are just as good as anyone's. i,personally, and maybe a few others, are GUESSING its the psu.....LOL
m
l
April 7, 2010 3:48:39 AM

Sorry its been so long since I've posted anything, thanks everyone for the help, after much testing it turns out its most likely an issue with the motherboard, took a really long time to test everything(had to wait two days to confirm whether or not the problem was still there) and the motherboard seems to be the problem. Gigabyte tech support told me to rma the board so hopefully that will fix the problem.
m
l
!