Sign in with
Your question

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz First time OC

Last response: in Overclocking
November 19, 2012 5:20:05 PM

Hello,
I'd like to finally get around to OC my processor (Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz) I've got a big nasty copper heat sink on it. Its truly massive it takes up a large portion of the inside of my case. I got it back then after raging over my processor burning up with the standard issue heat sink that came with it (i was displeased). But i assume that it really is just overkill the air flow is as good as it can be i think.

So i'd like to know if anyone else has clocked up a processor of this type and has some configurations or programs they like to use in this process. links to a tutorial would be nice as well I'll take any and all info you can give me i'd like to not kill my machine but i'd like to try to hit 2.8 or 3 GHz. (i'm trying to play planet side and i'm being bottle necked all to hell)
November 19, 2012 6:00:16 PM

morgunus213 said:
Hello,
I'd like to finally get around to OC my processor (Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz) I've got a big nasty copper heat sink on it. Its truly massive it takes up a large portion of the inside of my case. I got it back then after raging over my processor burning up with the standard issue heat sink that came with it (i was displeased). But i assume that it really is just overkill the air flow is as good as it can be i think.

So i'd like to know if anyone else has clocked up a processor of this type and has some configurations or programs they like to use in this process. links to a tutorial would be nice as well I'll take any and all info you can give me i'd like to not kill my machine but i'd like to try to hit 2.8 or 3 GHz. (i'm trying to play planet side and i'm being bottle necked all to hell)

Just change the FSB to 333 and you will be running at 3.0 GHz. Check your temps before and after and will stressed. @ 3.2 GHz mine never gets past 60C. You shouldn't need to change the volts to get to 3.0 GHz and as long as it is stable and your temps stay in check you should be fine.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2012 7:20:21 PM

ive done m fair share of overclocking with this cpu. The biggest problem i had was getting the motherboard stable. i was able to get 3.49 ghz, but want 100% stable. It would occassionally freeze, but ran fine most of the time. Its not uncommon to get them to hit 3.5ghz with right cooling and right motherboard. What motherboard do you have? and what is the temp you get under prime95 load at stock clocks? http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205 heres a link to prime95
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html <hwmonitor to monitor your temps.
if at stock clocks the temp is above 75c then forget overclocking till you cool it down. I had a coolermaster hyper tx3 which kept it at 65 under load oc'd to 3.5ghz
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2012 10:10:33 PM

http://forums.hexus.net/pc-hardware/124416-q6600-overcl...

that's the guide I used to overclock my Q6600.

When I followed this guide, my system crashed and wouldn't start back up so I had to reset cmos to get it running at stock settings again.

I tried the overclock again but this time I only disabled the sli memory and changed fsb memory clock mode to unlinked and proceeded to change the fsb clock from default to +30 each time.

I went up by like 30 each day until I hit 3.2 ghz stable without changing any voltages. When I said my system crashed on my first overclock attempt, i think it was because that guide told me to change my voltage. Keep in mind though that all cpu's aren't exactly the same so the moment you see signs of random glitchy freezes, move your fsb clock back down to what it was before.

I was getting an average temp of 65c while playing league of legends for 8 hours straight, and a high of 80 at times, but I came to find out that whoever built this computer forgot to apply thermal paste to the heatsink!
m
l
November 20, 2012 10:13:09 PM

also from what i've experienced, changing the cpu from 2.4 to 3.2 ghz didn't show much improvement (fps-wise) at all in games like LoL and CSGO.

I just upgraded to an i5 a few days ago and my fps in LoL jumped from 200 to 500-600. and I am still using the same gtx 550 ti that I was using with my q6600.
m
l
January 16, 2013 11:47:00 AM

soybeanpaste said:
also from what i've experienced, changing the cpu from 2.4 to 3.2 ghz didn't show much improvement (fps-wise) at all in games like LoL and CSGO.

I just upgraded to an i5 a few days ago and my fps in LoL jumped from 200 to 500-600. and I am still using the same gtx 550 ti that I was using with my q6600.

I also dont believe 2.8-3.2 is really worth it i tried it with farcry 3 and didnt see any fps increase at all... some programs might use more than 3 odd gigs but not games...
m
l
!